Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A while ago we were looking up places in Cornwall, and came across a place called Splatt. I'm still laughing about that one.

There's a street in a suburb here called Surfside Drive. Trust me, it's nowhere near an ocean.
    When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

In Cardiff,there's Splatt. We also have in Cornwall Pull-a-Cross and Fernysplatt. And Ventongimps. Which sounds like something rather nasty
      The Copyright Monster has made me tell you that my avatar is courtesy of the wonderful Alice XZ.And you don't want to annoy the Copyright Monster.

Comment

Quoth fireheart View Post
        There are two places in Adelaide called sturt and upper sturt.

Oddly enough, they are nowhere NEAR one another....
        Here in Oregon, we've got Bend and North Bend. North Bend is about 240 miles WSW of Bend!

We've also got towns such as:
        Drain
        Sublimity
        Boring
        Gaylord
        Hardman
        Moody
        Needy
        Ninety-One
        Wankers Corner

We have other oddly-named towns, not particuarly funny, just makes you wonder, "what the heck were the founders thinking?!"
        Last edited by XCashier; 12-17-2013, 01:42 AM. Reason: apparently, it's corner, not corners
        I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
        My LiveJournal
        A page we can all agree with!

Comment

Not far from me here in Iowa we have Sexton... a few miles down the road from Fertile. Elsewhere in the state are the towns of Tingley and What Cheer.
          "And though she be but little, she is FIERCE!"--Shakespeare

Comment

Wankers Corners
            This one wins.

Comment

I was reading a guide to the Norfolk Broads today, for reasons of idle research, and I came across this highly amusing phrase:

"Cockshoot Broad and the dyke leading to it..."

Of course, in local jargon, a dyke is a drainage canal. This particular one is called Cockshoot Dyke.

It's not far from a village called Horning.

Comment

Middelfart in Denmark.

Comment

Isn't there a town in England call Pissington or something like that?

Comment

Quoth Kit-Ginevra View Post
                    the Whip-ma-Whop-ma-Gate in York.
                    I go through that street fairly often. Not that it's a long walk after all it's the shortest street in York.

There is a street in York that is now called Grape Lane though it used to be known as Grope Lane. They also renamed Mad Mary's Alley for some reason...
                    As soon as I start thinking
                    That I'm sensible and sane
                    The Random Hedgehog comes along
                    And fiddles with my Brain
                    (from card I got)

Comment

Google Maps doesn't seem to know about a Pissington.

There is, however, a Cockermouth (in Cumbria, no less), and a village just off the A1 called Shilbottle to whose sign I always imagine an extra crosspiece on one of the letters.
                      Last edited by Chromatix; 12-23-2013, 06:53 PM.

Comment

When we go visit relatives we drive past a hill near Brecon (South Wales) called Twmpa in Welsh. Unfortunately in English it's Lord Hereford's Knob. Just up the road from Three Cocks.

Comment

Some interesting city/town names in Texas:

Telephone, Idalou (actually named after someone named Ida, and someone named Lou), Dime Box, New Home, New Hope, New Deal, Cut & Shoot, Bee Cave, Beverly Hills, Canadian, Cranfills Gap, Dalworthington Gardens, Fate, Frost, Gun Barrel City, Ingleside on the Bay, Iraan, Italy, Jolly, Latexo, Leona, Leonard, Miami, Muleshoe, Nazareth, New Boston, New York, North Cleveland, Pharr, Scotland, The Colony, Waller, West, White Settlement.

Just to name a few.
                          Skilled programmers aren't cheap. Cheap programmers aren't skilled.

Comment

Coming back to slightly less rude names, there's an amusing one here in Finland. There's an (artificial) hill near me informally called Jätemäki - literally "rubbish hill". As the name suggests, it was a landfill for waste building materials - when it was full, they applied some landscaping on top and integrated it into the local skyline. It's tall and steep enough (on at least one side) to practice paragliding from.

Comment

Quoth mjr View Post
                              Some interesting city/town names in Texas...
                              Don't forget Paris, Texas. And I'm pretty sure there's a Lisbon, Texas, as well. Too lazy to check right now.

I don't need to check google or any other site, however, to know about Baghdad. No, not that Baghdad.....Baghdad, Arizona! I couldn't make this shit up if I tried.

Quoth Chromatix View Post
                              There's an (artificial) hill near me informally called Jätemäki - literally "rubbish hill". As the name suggests, it was a landfill for waste building materials - when it was full, they applied some landscaping on top and integrated it into the local skyline.
                              We have one of those just outside of Key West. No clue if it has an official name. But what all the residents call it is Mount Trashmore.

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
                              Still A Customer."

Comment

Quoth Jester View Post
                                I don't need to check google or any other site, however, to know about Baghdad. No, not that Baghdad.....Baghdad, Arizona! I couldn't make this shit up if I tried.
                                <Pedant hat> The one in Arizona is spelled Bagdad. </pedant hat>

There's a Surprise, Arizona, too. I was just arguing with someone about what the hell is so surprising about it when they saw it on a map. I looked it up just now and it's because the founder said she would be "surprised if it ever amounted to much".

I'm sure those of you who lust over place names are aware that Kalamazoo and Hell are both towns in Michigan (if this has been mentioned, forgive me - I did not read the whole thread). There's a Big Bone Lick State Park in Kentucky, and Toad Suck is a town in Arkansas.

Florala, Alabama. Could no one come up with a more creative name than combining the first three letters of the two states it sits near the border of?

Near Lowell, Michigan, there's a Kissing Rock Road. It's exactly what it sounds like - a rock where the kids used to drive or walk out and kiss.
                                Last edited by Dentarthurdent; 12-26-2013, 09:01 AM. Reason: remembered a silly road name
                                "Only in our dreams are we free. The rest of the time we need wages." - Terry Pratchett
                                Emissary of Minong - my blog and its Facebook page

Comment

Working...
                                X