Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Knocking one off the bucket list: Disney style!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Knocking one off the bucket list: Disney style!

Yep, BF and I finally decided to take the plunge and drop our money in to a full on Disney world trip for this summer.
    Staying at Art of Animation, Finding Nemo Suite 7/8-7/12. Four day park hopper and water parks tickets.
    So.. I've never been to World, only Land. Growing up in Texas the kids (4 of them, 11-15)have never been to any Disney (gasp!). I'm super excited.
    Are there any must see's and tips for a first timer? Star Tours for sure. Some classics too. I've always wanted to ride Tower of Terror. The swimming with the sharks thing looks neat. And food places? We got the Quick Service dining plan, because we figured it'd be good for the kids. I'm looking at T-Rex Cafe for one the big eating out nights, because Dinosaurs.
    I'm pretty sure one of our "must do's" is to get mouse ears for everyone.

Peter Pan's Flight. Seriously, it's still my favorite ride. Pirates of the Caribbean is also a must. As far as food is concerned, the day you go to Epcott, go hungry and do a food tour of the World Showcase (the Biergarten in Germany is most excellent). I also remember really enjoying The Living Seas. They had a really cool tour of their gardens. If I remember right, there's a ride there with Ellen DeGeneres and Bill Nye the Science Guy that is quite amusing. Oh, and you must ride the Maelstrom ride in Norway. Super fun.

And pack me in your suitcase.
    I am no longer of capable of the emotion you humans call “compassion”. Though I can feign it in exchange for an hourly wage. (Gravekeeper)

Comment

The Epcot ride Test Track is one you want to go on for sure. And also visit your favorite "country".

Helpful hint: If you go on any rides, try to go on them in the single rider lanes. You may get split up on the ride (only if the children are older and you can have them ride by themselves). I rode the Test track twice in 20 minutes, when the normal wait time was over an hour long!
      "Oh, very good....Yes, it is easy to see that nearly six years of magical education have not been wasted on you, Potter. 'Ghosts are transparent.'" Severus Snape

Comment

Consider looking into their pre-paid food pass thingy if you haven't already. You'll probably wind up eating at the park more often than not, and you can save some money with those things.
        "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
        "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
        "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
        "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
        "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
        "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
        Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
        "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Congratulations! You'll have a blast, I'm sure. By this summer, the new Seven Dwarfs mine ride should be open, and that's one that I can't wait for. Same with the new MK parade.

I'm a Disney Vacation Club member and annual pass holder (and I don't live anywhere near the park), so I do tend to go a good bit. Went last September, and am going twice this year (March and Sept. again).

Feel free to bug me with any questions you have. If I don't know it, I bet Mrs. Crossbow does...
          "If your day is filled with firefighting, you need to start taking the matches away from the toddlers…” - HM

Comment

Plan.

Last time my wife and I went, we had a daily itinerary that covered every minute. It may seem obsessive, but since they were our plans, we could blow things off if we wanted. It saved a LOT of walking (more important with kids, I'm sure) and meant we didn't miss anything we really wanted to do.
            I'd start with everyone gathered around the table with a piece of paper and the park info. Have everyone put down their MUSTs and a short list of 'wannas' and go from there. It will take a few hours, and I'm sure there'll be some compromises, but I think you'll be a lot happier in the long run than just winging it. (It helps you synchronize you Speed Passes too.)
            Also, take a look at the arm rests when you sit down on the Tower of Terror bench.
            Have fun!

Comment

Quoth sms001 View Post
              Plan.
              This x1000. For the first time, Mrs. Crossbow and I are "wigning it" for the March trip, and it's driving her crazy. I think we can get away with it since we know the parks very well at this point. But for a first trip, know where you're going to go,what rides/attractions you want to see, etc.

Also, understand ahead of time that you can't do/see everything. At least not in one day. You'll have to prioritize, or something you really want to do will be missed.
              "If your day is filled with firefighting, you need to start taking the matches away from the toddlers…” - HM

Comment

Well we'll have about 3 and 1/4 total days (we'll get there probably around 2-3pm on 7/8 and the plane doesn't leave till 3 or 4 on 7/12). I'm not expecting to do everything (I wish). Some of the classics are a must, the kids have never been on Pirate's, Haunted Mansion, etc.
                I've always, always wanted to go on Tower of Terror. BF has never been on Star Tours.
                I want to plan, but I don't want to over plan. I also want to give the kids some measure of freedom, yet not have everyone scatter. As we get closer to we're going to sit down and get a plan sketched out (I've been doing research), and probably toss it out the window when we get there. lol

The thing I'm not sure on is reservations. There are 1 or 2 fun looking (the more themed the better!) restaurants I want to visit (and the beer area of Epcot), but we can live on pizza for a few days and whatever the dining plan gets us (we went with quick service).
                One of the things I'm for sure going to do is buy some Disney gift cards in advance for the kids to have some spending money, that way they have a set amount (once it's gone, it's gone) and aren't always coming to us for cash because they want something.

So my boyfriend hasn't been to Disneyland since his grad night in 1990 and for some reason he doesn't believe me when I tell him not everything's on the monorail. So I gave up trying to tell him.

I really hope that these magic bands are as nifty as they're supposed to be.
                Only problem now is I can't focus on anything else. I can't wait! I know it's summer and going to be busy as all heck, but I really hope to get some good pictures. I'm even going to buy one of those water resistant cameras (I know it may not last, but as long as it lasts through the trip!) for water rides and and the water park (we're mainly interested in Typhoon Lagoon).
                Since we're getting there late on the first day what should we hit up first? Explore the resort? Disney Quest? Brave the parks or go straight for Typhoon Lagoon?
                I don't dance, but I do want to check out that Atlantic Nightclub (maybe get a couple dranks ), do the buses go very late?

Comment

Depending on how old the kids are and what their interests are, and if you can fit it into the budget, time wise and money wise, you might want to consider a day trip to the Space Center at Cape Canaveral.

When I was a kid, my family did the whole Florida Disney vacation thing, and more than any of the rides or attractions, I remember our day at the Space Center. It was one of the most mind blowing experiences of my childhood. It's simply a blast, pun fully intentional. Because, well, rockets! And space! And astronauts! And rockets!

My trip to Houston in 2012 included a day at the Johnson Space Center with my niece and her boyfriend, and we all had a blast. So much so that I'm planning a future return to Cape Canaveral. Because rockets!

Just a thought.

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
                  Still A Customer."

Comment

One of my friends that follows me on Pinterest has a board of stuff to help plan and organize a disney vacation. Hope it helps you, esp the things to remember to pack one.

http://www.pinterest.com/kendylchild...sney-vacation/

Comment

Quoth PastryGal View Post
                      esp the things to remember to pack one.
                      Cannot endorse the 'fanny pack' enough. We used plastic grocery bags inside ours to water proof them and they were absolutely indispensable.

Comment

Working...
                      X