X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fibonacci meets Pythagoras...

Mathnerd will really like this one!

Take any four sequential numbers from the Fibonacci sequence.

Let's say, 1, 1, 2, 3 (the first four in the sequence).

Now, take the two outer numbers and multiply them together:

1 * 3 = 3.

Now, take the inner two numbers, multiply, and double:

(1 * 2) * 2 = 4.

And since the Pythagorean Theorem is A^2 + B ^2 = C^2, we do a little substitution...

(3)^2 + (4)^2 = C^2

so, that means that 25 = C^2
    so C = 5

Which ends up giving the Pythagorean Triple: 3, 4, 5.

And, since the area of a right triangle is 0.5(base * height), the area of the triangle is: 0.5(3 * 4), or 6, which is what you get if you multiply the four numbers of the Fibonacci series that you used!

I discovered this in a book called "A Slice of Pi". It's pretty cool!

Here's another nifty one from the same book: You could probably use this one to win some bar bets...

A quick way to get the square of a number that ends in 5:

Let's say the number chosen to square is 45.

What you do is take the 4, add 1, then multiply.
    so you would have 4 * (4 + 1) = 20.

Then, you add 25 onto the end. The answer being 2025.

A calculator will verify your result.

For three digit numbers (ending in 5) it's a similar procedure.

Let's say you have the number 895. Follow the same procedure.

89 * (89 + 1) = 8010.
    Tack 25 onto the end, and you get 801025.

Utilizing a calculator again verifies the correct answer.

Pretty cool, huh??
    Skilled programmers aren't cheap. Cheap programmers aren't skilled.

"A Slice of Pi" is definitely a neat book, and one I've recommended to students in the past who were having trouble with mental math.

My favorite, however, remains "Calculus for Cats" and "Algebra Unplugged". They don't focus on computation, but the *why* behind why all this works, and they put it in easily readable, manageable language, with a huge amount of humor thrown in to make reading fun. I cant take integrals anymore without seeing cats in their catmobiles falling off cliffs.
    At the conclusion of an Irish wedding, the priest said "Everybody please hug the person who has made your life worth living. The bartender was nearly crushed to death.

Comment

Quoth mathnerd View Post
      My favorite, however, remains "Calculus for Cats" and "Algebra Unplugged". They don't focus on computation, but the *why* behind why all this works, and they put it in easily readable, manageable language, with a huge amount of humor thrown in to make reading fun. I cant take integrals anymore without seeing cats in their catmobiles falling off cliffs.
      What level are those books written at? My 8 (soon to be 9) year old is VERY interested in math (he wants to be a Mathematician. Not just ANY mathematician, a "GREAT mathematician"), and those might be books he may be interested in.

Comment

The Algebra book is written for late middle/early high school students, but if he's a good reader, he might be able to handle them. The Calculus book is a little harder to read, but not by much.
        At the conclusion of an Irish wedding, the priest said "Everybody please hug the person who has made your life worth living. The bartender was nearly crushed to death.

Comment

Math nerds, check out the youtube channel vihart. She has a LOT of really interesting, well edited, fast paced videos about many mathematical topics, from fibonacci numbers in natural things, to the mathematics of plastic snakes and more. She also made Pachabel's Canon in D on a long punchtape and with assistants plays it on three carefully spaced music boxes.
          Suckiness is reinforced up OR down at every transaction. Accepting BS makes them worse for all of us; firm fairness trains them to suck less.

Comment

With that original calculation, note that C is equal to B plus the square of the first of those four Fibonacci numbers.

For example, if you used 5, 8, 13, 21 (the next four Fibonacci numbers), you would get
            A = 105
            B = 208
            C = 208 + 25 = 233

105^2 + 208^2 = 233^2

Comment

Quoth Automan Empire View Post
              Math nerds, check out the youtube channel vihart. She has a LOT of really interesting, well edited, fast paced videos about many mathematical topics, from fibonacci numbers in natural things, to the mathematics of plastic snakes and more. She also made Pachabel's Canon in D on a long punchtape and with assistants plays it on three carefully spaced music boxes.
              Neat stuff! Thanks for posting the Youtube name. I hated math classes in school, but as an adult I've come to appreciate the more abstract side of it.
              Cheap, fast, good. Pick two.
              They want us to read minds, I want read/write.

Comment

Quoth Ceir View Post
                Neat stuff! Thanks for posting the Youtube name. I hated math classes in school, but as an adult I've come to appreciate the more abstract side of it.
                To me, this is where the beauty of math lies. Don't get me wrong, I love computational tricks, but the pure abstract is where my heart lies. Except topology. I hate topology. Doughnuts and coffee cups can just bite me.

Comment

Another great math book is "Godel Escher Bach, an eternal golden braid". The same author wrote "Mathemagical Themas". Douglas Hofsteder, I think.

This is from memory, so if Amazon (or wherever) has a very similar-sounding book, it's probably the one you've found.
                  Seshat's self-help guide:
                  1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
                  2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
                  3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
                  4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

Quoth Seshat View Post
                    "Godel Escher Bach, an eternal golden braid". The same author wrote "Mathemagical Themas". Douglas Hofsteder, I think.
                    I actually have that book. I found the information in it fascinating, but I found it a little dry, as far as reading goes.

I did find the mention of koans and the MU puzzle quite interesting.

Comment

Quoth Argus View Post
                      With that original calculation, note that C is equal to B plus the square of the first of those four Fibonacci numbers.

For example, if you used 5, 8, 13, 21 (the next four Fibonacci numbers), you would get
                      A = 105
                      B = 208
                      C = 208 + 25 = 233

105^2 + 208^2 = 233^2
                      That's quite interesting.

Comment

You can also try the Danica McKeller books. They may be written more for girls, but probably a good read as well
                        Lister: This is Crazy. Why are we talking about going to bed with Wilma Flintstone?
                        Cat: You're right. We're Nuts! This is an insane conversation....
                        Lister: She'll never leave Fred and we know it.

Comment

Working...
                        X