Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A particular type of frame (or mat for it)?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A particular type of frame (or mat for it)?

Ok, as someone who dabbles with music, I'm thinking of writing and recording a song as part of a 10th wedding anniversary gift for my wife. Jewelry is a must for this anniversary, but I want to do this as well.

What I want to do is write it, record it, burn it to CD, and then frame the CD along with the lyrics.

The problem is, I'm trying to find a frame (or at least a mat for a frame) that will allow me to put a full, standard 8.5 x 11 inch sheet of paper, along with a CD, and another paper with the date on it.

I want the lyrics on the left, CD on the top right, and the date and such on the bottom right.

Anyone know where I can get a frame or a mat like that? A co-worker of mine suggested a "shadow box", but I want this to be something she can hang somewhere.

I'm actually going to burn 3 copies of the disc. One as a "master", one for the frame, and one for her to listen to at her leisure.

I'm also trying to figure out if I should do the CD/lyrics in a style I'm more familiar with/more comfortable with, or in a style/genre she likes.

Any tips?
    Skilled programmers aren't cheap. Cheap programmers aren't skilled.

You will probably need to go to a custom frame shop. Any shop worth their salt will take care of everything you need. A really good one will help you tweak the dimensions and ratios to give it a more appeasing/balanced appearance.
    Life is too short to not eat popcorn.
    Save the Ales!
    Toys for Tots at Rooster's Cafe

Comment

I thought about that. I'll have to check around in my area to see if a frame shop is nearby. A co-worker suggested a shadow box, but I don't want to go that route.

Comment

There are very shallow shadow boxes; the space in a shadow box can be as thin as a piece of cardboard.
        Seshat's self-help guide:
        1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
        2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
        3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
        4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

Shadow boxes are often small enough to hang -- but, yeah, as csquared said, any frame shop should be able to make something for you, and it sounds like a custom job is what you might want anyway.
          "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
          "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
          "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
          "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
          "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
          "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
          Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
          "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Awwww.... no suggestions as I don't know squat about mats, but can I just say that is the coolest, sweetest thing ever?
            When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Quoth MoonCat View Post
              Awwww.... no suggestions as I don't know squat about mats, but can I just say that is the coolest, sweetest thing ever?
              Well, I hope she likes it. I just have to write the song, then find a way to get her out of the house long enough to record it.

I'm still going back & forth on the style. I'm more familiar and comfortable with country music, she enjoys rock/power metal.

Someone suggested a combination. I might actually have to go that route...

Comment

You can get blank mats at a hobby shop, such as Hobby Lobby or Michaels. You can cut them yourself, or the shop can custom cut them for you for a pre-made frame. This will be your least expensive option.

Comment

I'm thinking something that's in or around 13 x 16 would do nicely. Hit your second-hand shops with a tape measure. The Goodwill and St. Vinnies in my area both carry lots of wall hangings. Just gut 'em and mount your stuff as described.

Great idea, btw.

Comment

Working...
                  X