This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recipe help!

The recipe for the sauce for cucumber salad I found is no good, it's just Mayonnaise and milk. I need a simple basic normal cucumber salad sauce, I tried looking on up and all I get is oil & vinegar ones. I wanted to make it myself instead of going to the deli like always.
    Last edited by Zellie Crescent; 02-28-2014, 05:29 PM. Reason: Correcting my stupid spellcheck
    ......../\
    ....../__\
    ..../\...../\
    ../__\../__\

Quoth Zellie Crescent View Post
    The recipe for the sauce for cucumber salad I found is no good, it's just Mayonnaise and milk. I need a simple basic normal cucumber salad sauce, I tried looking on up and all I get is oil & vinegar ones. I wanted to make it myself instead of going to the deli like always.
    What kind of flavour(s) are you looking for, Zellie? Fresh, light? Creamy, rich? Herby? Do you know any of the ingredients that the deli version contains?
    Engaged to the sweet Mytical He is my Black Dragon (and yes, a good one) strong, protective, the guardian. I am his Silver Dragon, always by his side, shining for him, cherishing him.

Comment

1 large cucumber, peeled
      1 cup plain low-fat yogurt
      2 tsp white or cider vinegar
      1 tbs snipped fresh dill or 1 tsp dried dill weed
      1/2 tsp salt
      1/4 tsp fresh ground pepper

The Wife added notes to add hot sauce, lemon & oil. No quantity given, so I am guessing just a dash or two.

Thinly slice the cucumber. Mix thoroughly. Let chill for .5 hours before serving.

Dice cucumbers to make a Cucumber Riata.

Puree the mix to make a Creamy Cucumber Sauce.
      Life is too short to not eat popcorn.
      Save the Ales!
      Toys for Tots at Rooster's Cafe

Comment

I guess the best way I can describe it is a light white water type sauce, it doesn't taste thick or heavy. One of the deli ladies puts a little bit of dill when she makes it but the other doesn't, that's the only ingredient I know only because I was curious to know "what those things are in it".
        ......../\
        ....../__\
        ..../\...../\
        ../__\../__\

Comment

We had a sour cream and cucumber salad at work once which tasted very similar to the sour cream and potato salad I've made before. Here's a list of what we use for our potato salad (minus potatoes):

1/2 cup sour cream
          1/2 cup plain yogurt
          1/4 cup fresh chives, finely chopped
          2 teaspoon dried dill
          1 teaspoon salt
          ground black pepper to taste
          Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

Comment

My s-i-l makes a dressing with white vinegar, sugar and mayo. Mix the vinegar and sugar, wisk in the mayo until smooth. I don't actual measurements as I just dump and pour until it looks good and tastes great!

Comment

Sounds like a Greek tzatziki sauce...
              When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

This might work for you, though I don't know if it's what your looking for:

Juice of one lime.
                1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil.
                Dill (optional).

Whisk all ingredients together with a fork or spoon, toss cucumber salad in it.

Alternative 1: look up recipes for creme fraiche, which sound a lot like what you're describing. Easy to make, too....just thinned out sour cream.

Alternative 2: next time you're in the deli, just ASK the deli ladies what they use in that dressing. Sometimes, it really is that easy....

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
                Still A Customer."

Comment

Sounds to me a lot like tzatziki. I would use Greek yogurt (unflavored), lemon juice, dill, and milk or mayo to thin it a bit. You could also add a little (not much) garlic or roasted garlic.

Comment

I'm not sure if it was or wasn't tzatziki sauce, but if it was, I'd go with this recipe. Since, ya know, it's a Greek sauce, and this is a recipe from a Greek recipe site.

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
                    Still A Customer."

Comment

Here's my mom's recepie... give it a whirl if ya like.

Tzatziki
                      1 cup chopped, peeled cucumbers, drained very well
                      1 cup plain yogurt, drained overnight or use thick Greek yogurt
                      ½ tsp crushed garlic
                      Pinch salt
                      ½ tsp dill weed
                      Combine, cover, and refrigerate to let flavors blend,

Comment

Quoth Tyg3rW01f View Post
                        Here's my mom's recepie... give it a whirl if ya like.

Tzatziki
                        1 cup chopped, peeled cucumbers, drained very well
                        1 cup plain yogurt, drained overnight or use thick Greek yogurt
                        ½ tsp crushed garlic
                        Pinch salt
                        ½ tsp dill weed
                        Combine, cover, and refrigerate to let flavors blend,
                        That sounds good! I want gyros now
                        When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

I concur with Tyg3rw01f's recipe but just wanted to add a little tip:

In order to REALLY drain the cucumbers, add a bit of salt and blend it well in. The salt will cause the cucumbers to release more fluid than just pressing/draining them will do.
                          A theory states that if anyone discovers exactly what the Universe is for, it will be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable.

Another theory states that this has already happened.

Comment

My cucumber salad is cucumbers, red onion, and tomatoes in Italian dressing, so I'm not familiar with the one you're trying to recreate. Why not call up the deli and ask them what they use?
                            Don't wanna; not gonna.

Comment

I might just go in and ask her on monday, they're closed tomorrow but I dont mind wating another day. I will have to try out all your recipies too, they look good.
                              ......../\
                              ....../__\
                              ..../\...../\
                              ../__\../__\

Comment

Working...
                              X