This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Writing for magazines

Now that I'm at my aunt and uncle's house, I really haven't got much to do. Thing is, they live way out in the ass end of a country road (well, not technically the END of one), where it takes 20-35 minutes to get to a Walmart driving fast.

So as you can imagine, my job options are rather minimal. They both work 9-5 jobs and their now-adult kid goes to school all day, so I've got a whole bunch of time.

Only recently did I consider writing for magazines, and I've found a list online of places. Naturally, I would prefer places with an online submission form.

Do any of YOU have magazines you write for (poetry, short story, review, and otherwise), and if so which do you most recommend?
    My Guide to Oblivion

"I resent the implication that I've gone mad, Sprocket."

Cracked pays $100 an article. If you are a smart ass with a good writing ability, I would start there.

Comment

Magazines have submission guidelines. Check out the website for each one you're considering. You'll have a better chance of success if you follow their requirements.
      When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

I have only been published in fiction journals/ezines. The Absolute Write Water Cooler and Duotrope's Digest are good places to find open submissions. Also ralan.com if you write SpecFic.

The money you make from these places will not be plentiful or quick to come, but it seems like you have time on your hands. If you do write SpecFic I could probably guide you to more specific places with a little more information.

Some places pay you to blog as well; check out the website Rat Race Rebellion for possible at-home jobs you could do (they are on the up-and-up).
        https://www.facebook.com/authorpatriciacorrell/

Comment

Quoth cleorose View Post
          Cracked pays $100 an article. If you are a smart ass with a good writing ability, I would start there.
          Hmmmmmm......

Quoth AnaKhouri View Post
          Some places pay you to blog as well; check out the website Rat Race Rebellion for possible at-home jobs you could do (they are on the up-and-up).
          Hmmmmmm.....

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
          Still A Customer."

Comment

Thanks. Cracked looks good, and I'm good at specfic. :-)

EDIT: Ralan.com does not load at all, period. Are they down for some reason?
            Last edited by Tama; 03-13-2014, 07:37 PM.
            My Guide to Oblivion

"I resent the implication that I've gone mad, Sprocket."

Comment

I've written a bit, mostly restaurant reviews and food-related articles for local and regional publications; if you have any previous works, you can often use those to seek out spec work (the publication tells YOU what to write, provides guidelines, etc.), and this often pays far more than if you write your own articles and then try to sell them...so many people these days have blogs, online journals, etc. that pre-existing works are undervalued.

As the others have stated, just look for any guidelines that a publication may have, or look for an editor in the area you like to write, and contact them. I generally contact 10 or more publications for every one that actually shows any interest in my work.
              "She didn't observe the cardinal rule: Don't F**K with people who handle your food"
              -Ryan Reynolds in 'Waiting'

Comment

I don't write for magazines, I write for a specific company. The writing guidelines are strict and the client is very picky about what gets submitted. I've been working for this client about 7 years on and off. I write "How to fix your computer" blogs for the client's database. He sends me a list of errors, I look up what the error means, then I write how to resolve it using simple language as his main client base is in the 55-65 demographic.

If you think you can do that I'll get HR's email for you.

Comment

Working...
                X