This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm having a hard time

Long story short, the intersection that I thought was a 4-way stop was not, and so I ended up t-boning an old lady's car. I was on my way to work, stopped at the sign, looked at the big yellow caution sign hanging above the intersection -- the one that advised to look out for oncoming traffic -- saw her car approaching from the cross street, and figuring she would stop for her stop sign, I headed on across.

End result, her car was heavily damaged if not totaled, my car is almost certainly totaled because it had the entire front end ripped off, and now the dance of the insurance companies begins. The wreck was my fault and I was cited for not yielding right of way, with a fine of a little more than $200. The old lady went to the hospital, the tow trucks came, and what remains of my car is now sitting at my cousin's auto body shop.

God knows what happens now. I get a rental car tomorrow, the insurance companies start doing their thing bright and early, and then I guess they decide what happens to my car. If it's fixable, it'll get fixed. If not, I'll get a paltry settlement that I'll have to try to use to buy another vehicle.

And I'm mad. Good God, am I mad. Not at the old lady or myself, just at the situation. Thank God no one was seriously hurt -- neither one of our airbags even deployed, and the old lady went to the hospital because of how hard she'd been yanked against her seatbelt. But, fuck, am I angry. I had paid that car off. It was the most expensive thing I've ever bought, and by far the most valuable thing I owned. I'd even had a lot of work done to it recently to make sure it would last me another six years.

Gone.

I'm mad at the situation. I was only going to work, to a job that barely pays me enough to keep gas in the car, in a car that ferried me from home to school, to my mother's house, to her doctor's appointments, and which I would have needed when I transfer from college to a university that will require driving to the next county once or twice a week. I needed a reliable car, and for once in my life it seemed like I had one.

I am furious.

Then I consider that but for a split-second's difference, I could have killed that old lady, if not her and her adult granddaughter who was riding with her. I seriously could have killed someone. All over a stupid mistake. My car hit hers right at the front driver's-side tire. A bit to the right and it would have caved in her door.

I've been running on adrenaline since it happened, and as that wears off, the aches and pains set in. I have no health insurance, and still can't get it thanks to our illustrious governor's decisions on Obamacare (take it to fratching, because I don't want to hear it), and could not afford to go get checked out myself. A bruise is developing where I was slammed against my own seatbelt. And today, riding to church and back with my partner, the fight-or-flight response set in every time I saw a car about to turn. My heart was racing the entire time we were in the car.

This sucks, and apparently the whole thing was a lot more traumatic that it seemed yesterday at first glance.

So, yes... I'm having a hard time today.
    Last edited by Antisocial_Worker; 03-23-2014, 04:53 PM.
    Drive it like it's a county car.

*very gentle hugs* At least neither of you were hurt too severely. I know it sucks not having a car but you're more important. One thing I don't understand though is if she ran the stop sign, how is this your fault?

I do wish you luck with the settlement and everything. May you end up with an even better car than before.
    Question authority, but raise your hand first. -Alan M. Bershowitz

Comment

Quoth Teysa View Post
      One thing I don't understand though is if she ran the stop sign, how is this your fault?
      It was my fault, because she didn't run a stop sign. There were stop signs on the road I was on, and none on the cross street she was on. A car on the road I was on would pull up and stop at their sign, see the big yellow caution sign hanging above the intersection, and then go. Cars on the road she was on didn't have to stop -- I only thought they did.

The accident drew a crowd from the nearby houses, and one of them told the cops that it was the second wreck they'd had at that intersection that day.
      Drive it like it's a county car.

Comment

That makes more sense then. From the sounds of it, you're not the only one who has made that mistake. Maybe they need to add a sign saying that oncoming traffic does not stop or something along those lines.

But, anyways, stop beating yourself up. You made an honest mistake. One you won't repeat again.

In the meantime, maybe you can sweet talk your partner into a nice back rub. For purely medicinal reasons of course.
        Question authority, but raise your hand first. -Alan M. Bershowitz

Comment

Sounds like it should be a 4-way stop, if not a stoplight.

That anxiety sucks. I still get it twelve years later when I'm in a situation similar to when my car was totaled (waiting to make a left with traffic coming up behind me). It gets better, though.
          I don't go in for ancient wisdom
          I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
          It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

All kinds of things could have happened. But they didn't. Everyone in both cars is OK.

You made a mistake. Of course you're going to feel bad about it, but it doesn't help anyone to dwell on it. Just take one step at a time until it's over. It's easy to feel overwhelmed with stuff like this, but if you concentrate on the next thing you have to do, and then the next thing and the next, it will be cleared up before you know it.
            https://www.facebook.com/authorpatriciacorrell/

Comment

I'm concerned you may have injuries you don't know about. They have to treat you in the ER, even without insurance, and one unpaid medical bill isn't the worst thing ever.
              "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

Even without health insurance, you may have coverage to get checked out through your auto policy. I'm not sure how it works where you are, but we have a little piece tacked onto all policies here called PIP, personal injury protection, and it is usually $10,000 of coverage. Please check your policy or with your agent. You still should be evaluated if you are having any symptoms of pain or injury from the impact.

Comment

Working...
                X