This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spending way to much time at the vet

So here I am, once again, waiting for a call from the vet to let me know how my dog is doing.

Baxter is finally doing better after the rat poison ingestion. I had both dogs out and about, and was sitting at an outdoor table drinking a soda and waiting for the appointment time at the groomer's. The dogs were playing gently with each other. I'm not sure what happened next. There was an elderly gentleman on a mobility scooter passing and the motor made a strange noise. The next thing I knew, Lucy was squealing with her head in Baxter's mouth. I got the dogs separated and noticed the amount of blood pouring from Lucy's neck. Baxter went off in a corner, visibly upset about having hurt her.

A couple random strangers came to our aid. One guy took Baxter home and a woman took me and Lucy to the nearest vet. She's been in surgery for the last three hours. The vet said that she should be okay. The punctures aren't that deep and they just missed anything vital. I was also concerned about what would happen to Baxter. He said he didn't feel the need to report anything, as it really did look like an accident. Either he forgot how big he is or he got spooked by the passing scooter, but either way, if he'd intended to hurt her, she'd have been a lot worse off.

Poor Baxter is still moping around. He's very upset about it all. He's also very clingy, like he needs to be reassured everything is okay. He keeps looking around for his friend, then drops his head and mopes when she's not there.
    At the conclusion of an Irish wedding, the priest said "Everybody please hug the person who has made your life worth living. The bartender was nearly crushed to death.

Awww! Poor puppies!

Comment

Sounds like projection. Cats do it, like when one housecat sees a strange cat outside, and can't attack it, so he jumps the other cat in the house. Maybe the scooter frightened Baxter and he just grabbed Lucy out of fear? Whatever happened, I hope she'll be okay (and Baxter too!)
      When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Thanks. Lucy is home and resting. The vet said she should be just fine. She's got antibiotics and pain meds to help keep her comfy, and she's on bed rest for the next 2 days. She'll go back on Saturday to get her bandages removed and the drains taken out of her neck.

Baxter is stil super clingy, but he seemed to relax a bit when he saw me take her out of the van.
        At the conclusion of an Irish wedding, the priest said "Everybody please hug the person who has made your life worth living. The bartender was nearly crushed to death.

Comment

Damnit.

If you lived near me, I'd offer to scooter around with you and Baxter so he got used to the presence of a scooter.
          Ditto with you and Lucy (separately from Baxter!).

Once they were both comfortable, we'd try them and the scooter together, with a third adult present to handle one of the dogs.

Don't suppose you have any scooter-using friends local to where you are now? No? Damn.
          Seshat's self-help guide:
          1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
          2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
          3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
          4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

I'm not sure what happened. The scooter motor made a noise that wasn't normal, so that might have frightened him.

Lucy is doing great this morning. She's walking around a little and drinking on her own. She's still not eating, but I'm not going to worry about that unless she's not eating by tomorrow. Nobody feels great after surgery.

Comment

Is she drinking? That's the important part. If she's drinking, she's probably OK not eating for a day or two.

You might have to hand feed her for awhile. It may hurt her to eat if any jaw muscles are involved.
              They say that God only gives us what we can handle. Apparently, God thinks I'm a bad ass.

Comment

I had to dropper feed her water last night, but by this morning she was drinking a little on her own, and over the last few hours she's drained her water bowl twice all on her own. She ate about 5 kibbles of food. She goes back to the vet tomorrow to get the drains removed, so if she's not eating at least half her normal intake by then, I'll address it with the vet.

Right now, she and Baxter are outside sunning themselves (I'm out with them, and have Baxter on a leash just in case, not that I think he'll do anything, but I want to be a little on the cautious side). Baxter is a little less mopey now that he can she she's okay, but he's being very, very cautious around her.

Comment

Working...
                X