This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Good idea? Tell me your thoughts.

I lost my restaurant job (I'll explain why later, I'm still kind of fuming at the owner and ashamed of myself for not being able to keep things steady)

The thing is, for personal reasons between loved ones and I, and for building my interpreting resume, I need to be abroad for a few weeks, from sometime in July until early August.

Since I lost my job, having the income to earn towards the ticket went kaput.

Some of my friends tried to say start a "gofundme" but really, there is no real good reason to. No matter my reasons, its not an important surgery or something worth asking people for free donations. I find that is wrong.

So I came up with an idea last night after my cousin offered to pay to look up some things for him.

I could do odd jobs for internet and personal friends. Like quick research, editing a paper for friends in high school or college, give quick Japanese or Korean lessons, clean out a car, clean houses, etc. Small things that would be worth the 5-10 bucks I'll charge. Its not too much, so the work doesn't have to be too extensive and when it comes to Japanese/Korean lessons, people usually charge 30 bucks for hour lessons.

It's just an idea. I approached a few friends in person and online and they all said it was a good idea. But all expressed a concern over how many people would actually do it....

So, thoughts. Please share.

I think it could work money is money. In terms of making enough make sure to keep an ear out for who needs help so you know who to offer it to. Of course this is coming from someone who still pays a friends daughter to declutter her car every month.

Comment

Quoth purple View Post
      I think it could work money is money. In terms of making enough make sure to keep an ear out for who needs help so you know who to offer it to. Of course this is coming from someone who still pays a friends daughter to declutter her car every month.
      I was going to offer this to this forum (CS) and on my Facebook page

I'm in a lot of groups, in real life and online, and I talk to a LOT of people, so on Facebook...I have a high enough friends list to that is 1/4 of them did strictly 5 dollar jobs, I'd pass my goal for sure.

I am going to start a paypal for this. So if its a good enough idea, I'm launching it out on FB today.

Comment

Nothing ventured, nothing gained.
        Life is too short to not eat popcorn.
        Save the Ales!
        Toys for Tots at Rooster's Cafe

Comment

I believe Amazon has a service similar to what you describe- not odd jobs, but research-type things. You might look into that; maybe someone here has done it and has more information?

Do you own a lawnmower, or can you garden? This is a good season for that too.
          https://www.facebook.com/authorpatriciacorrell/

Comment

Made my first 20 bucks

So it begins

Comment

If your friends want to start the process of somehow raising funds for you, LET THEM. Let the and those who might donate decide whether or not your cause is worthy. Do not just dismiss it out of hand.

For the right reason, I would donate money. For odd jobs I don't need done, I wouldn't. *shrug*

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
              Still A Customer."

Comment

Working...
              X