This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• well thats an interesting use of the word Gernaded

so my mom gets a call yesterday afternoon.

It is meimei who should be driving home.

Except the car died.

So to the Other car, go pick her up, have a long long dicussion about when its ok to uturn on the 90 to get to a car pull off to the side. then once home mom calls our usual repair shop, call a tow company and arrange for them to get the car and tow it to repair shops.

and back into the car so mom can pay the repair shop for a diagnostic and we can get stuff form the car. surprisingly the tow truck beats us there we grab 2 boxes and soda and follow him to repair shop.

i sit back and read feast of crows while she walks in and calls meimei to get the sound the engine made and info about the could of the smoke.

Then the car with situated safely we head off to have dinner, decide on a wonderful indian place, and during the middle of dinner mom gets a call. The mechanic says 'yeah its not repairable, the engine is Gernadedd' mom goes what does that mean? mechanic goes 'that means one of the robs shot right through the engine block through the other side leaving it looking like bahgdad.

i tell meimei this. meimei reply 'yeah thats what it sounded like'

and then we had to drive home with rain so bad i could barely see

Sounds like a garden-variety thrown rod. The engine is toast (not even a rebuildable core). What condition is the rest of the vehicle? If it's good, it might be worthwhile to swap in an engine from a salvage yard.
    Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Quoth wolfie View Post
      Sounds like a garden-variety thrown rod. The engine is toast (not even a rebuildable core). What condition is the rest of the vehicle? If it's good, it might be worthwhile to swap in an engine from a salvage yard.
      its an 98 that was inherited from my aunts that was only given enough care to keep running the interioer is........ sad and the exterior is well but for the windshield. the cost of the new engine especially down here in basically mexico would supersede the cost of the car we rather scrap it and use the funds to buy a new one

Comment

Yep, if it's that old, it probably won't be worth rebuilding. Unless you can get a serious deal, don't bother with it.

I had a car throw a rod. My '87 Tempo blew up its engine after it overheated in '94. Granted, the car was then totaled when it got hit... But, to get the engine fixed? The original engine in that heap was scrap. When it blew up, one of the rods went right through the block Several gaskets had failed and the cylinder head was cracked--not to mention warped!

At the time, it wasn't worth getting it fixed. Even a salvaged engine was about $2k--not exactly a sum I would have dropped to fix on a sub-$500 car...even if the body wasn't a mess from the accident. I still made out though--my insurance company gave me about $2k when they wrote it off.
        Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines. --Enzo Ferrari

Comment

Working...
        X