Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

We've got an intelligent bunch here on CS...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BMath here in Computer Science, and working in a field that uses it (and uses a chunk of the math portion of my studies too). Though I've forgotten all I knew about Integration and Matricies and such. Still, my job is programming mapping software, so the PMath360 course I took helped a tonne; mainly for me to be an interface between our Computational Geometry group and other developers at times.

Comment

BA in Political Science, with a minor in Public Administration. Considering the degree, it should be a BS.
      "Life is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid" Redd Foxx as Al Royal - The Royal Family - Pilot Episode - 1991.

Comment

BA in Medieval Studies, with minors in Latin, English Lit and Art History.

Yeah, not terribly useful to my current career. I was pursuing a Mechanical Engineering degree before changing to Medieval Studies, so I do have a decent tech background, but most of it is self taught.
        "If your day is filled with firefighting, you need to start taking the matches away from the toddlers…” - HM

Comment

BS (double major) Mathematics and Biology, with minors in Chemistry and English Literature.
          MS in Mathematics with a concentration in statistics and probability theory.

Currently in negotiations with a major university to begin a M.D./Ph.D program (Ph.D in biostatistics, along with a medical degree), matriculation assumed for Fall 2016 pending sufficient MCAT scores (will be sitting for the exam November 7th), and successful completion of a few pre-requisites that I've already taken, but are over 10 years old. Negotiations are for financial aid package in order to support my family for the duration of the 6 year program. I'm having a difficult time finding a job, so I figured going back to school might be fun.
          At the conclusion of an Irish wedding, the priest said "Everybody please hug the person who has made your life worth living. The bartender was nearly crushed to death.

Comment

BS in IT/CE here. GT/GSU ftw!!! not planning on getting a masters or phd because for what i do and where i'm going neither is needed. it's more so about certs which i have a good number of that and being in the IT/engineering field things change monthly, weekly, daily so lotta consistent learning going on.

Comment

I have a BS in Systems Engineering Science, with minors in Math and Physics. I also completed all of the course work for a MS in Electrical Engineering, but never passed the final test to get a degree.
              "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

B.Eng in Computer Systems Engineering - which is a combination of Computer Science, Software Engineering, Electronic Engineering, and Systems Engineering.

The latter is basically "how to put different parts together so they actually work right", but it's a bit more involved than it sounds.

There's also a subtle difference between Computer Science and Software Engineering that many people (even working in the field) completely miss. Computer Science is entirely theoretical - using an actual computer to demonstrate the concepts is a bonus. Software Engineering, by contrast, is the discipline of getting actual computers to actually do things, especially complicated things.

Comment

BA in Politics and International studies, Bachelor of Special Ed.

I started my Masters in Teaching, but screwed up the final prac and found that the workload was too much for me to cope with while I was still trying to recover from a depression fit. So I graduated with the Special Ed degree instead. I've found my niche in that area though

Partner is A+, SDA and MCSA certified from memory and is working towards a Bachelors in Computer Science.
                  The best professors are mad scientists! -Zoom

Now queen of USSR-Land...

Comment

BA in Communications.

Tip for would-be college students: Communications degrees are a notch below 12th Century Feminist Hip-Hop Underwater Basket-Weaving degrees in the return on investment department.
                    Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

Bachelors in computer science (from a liberal-arts school, my major track was largely self-designed), certificate in computer forensics. As for certifications my only current one is A+. A few law courses under my belt from the forensics certificate.

My original BS/BA was theatrical lighting design, but halfway through the track someone up high decided to drop the second of two required courses (wtf...why?). About 30 of us were stuck midstream, I decided to jump over to computers.
                      Last edited by Dreamstalker; 08-28-2014, 02:25 PM.
                      "I am quite confident that I do exist."
                      "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

Comment

Quoth Seshat View Post
                        More than 3/4 of the way through Comp Sci, but I got sick and had to stop. Never been well enough to pick it up.

That said, my self-taught-ness includes the textbooks for a miscellany: part of a marketing degree, part of comparitive religion, some physics, some math, some counselling ...

But nothing coherent and disciplined enough to be an actual degree.
                        I never would have thought the Comp Sci. I thought you had a degree in English. You learn something new every day . . .

---

I have multiple degrees:

1. A certificate in Practice Nursing
                        2. Bachelor of Arts in History
                        3. Master of Arts in History (minor in English)
                        4. Associate of Science in Nursing
                        5. Bachelors of Science in Nursing
                        6. Masters of Science in Nursing
                        7. Some post graduate work. I'm planning to go back to school again soon to work on a Doctorate of Nursing Practice in Family Nurse Practice.

The BA and MA in History were not a waste of time. I learned loads about how to write and do research, and I regularly use the history of science to teach fundamental concepts of nursing to my ADN students
                        They say that God only gives us what we can handle. Apparently, God thinks I'm a bad ass.

Comment

Wow there's lots of computer people here!!

I have a BS (yes, really! Bachelor of Science) in Commerce .... read Business Administration. Followed that up with a JD (Juris Doctorate) also known as a law degree. Spent years in the business world on the management side, am now just a grunt in retail (and I like it!).

Comment

BS in Computer Science, MS in Software Engineering.
                            A fact of life: After Monday and Tuesday, even the calendar says W T F.....

Comment

BS and MS in Computer Science. Plus, I'm learning to be a BOFH on the job. (There are already guys out on the shop floor who've noticed that they can't install just anything anymore... BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!)
                              "I often look at every second idiot and think, 'He needs more power.'" --Varric Tethras, Dragon Age II

Comment

Went to a university and majored in Broadcasting, with a minor in Political Science. Did not actually get my degree, as I made the mistake of dropping out in order to take focus on financial issues. That was over 20 years ago. At the time, all I needed was 7 more classes for my degree--basically two semesters. But I said a long time ago I'm never going back. Why? Because it would be a year out of my life, not to mention several thousand dollars, to get a degree in a field I really don't have much interest in going into anymore. I mean, I could certainly get into broadcasting--I have the requisite talents--but the pay cut would be severe, as it would almost certainly be a n entry level job, and frankly, in my forties, not really interested in that. Of course, I still occasionally do a DJing or MCing gig here and there, and my education was not for naught--I learned a lot, became a better person, and the experience certainly helped me in my future careers as a bartender and a close up magician. (Seriously.)

Speaking of bartending, I am a Certified Mixologist as a graduate of the BarSmarts program, which isn't too shabby. And I do have future career plans that will get me out from behind the bar but still keep me in the food service industry, in an entirely new capacity. Hopefully I'll be able to implement those plans upon my return to Phoenix next year.

So no degree, but a talented DJ, MC, bartender, magician, video editor, sound editor, copy editor, and writer. And I'm not gonna complain about that.

I may one day take some culinary classes, as I am a relatively talented cook (almost completely self taught), but I have absolutely no intention of pursuing that as a career. The classes would be just for my own personal education, and to broaden my abilities in the kitchen.

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
                                Still A Customer."

Comment

Working...
                                X