This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Naming help

I lost the plot slightly more at work and my stationery are starting to get personality. My stapler is named Eeyore which suits him but I can't think of a suitable name for my staple remover.

He reminds me of a hyperactive child and chirps/squeals when used. One prong is bent and he does his job without complaint. Silver with black plastic. Any ideas?

Yeah I know, I need a more productive work hobby.

The important question is do they have googly eyes yet? Mine used to when I was in an office - the computer screen had eyebrows and a moustache too though.
    I think my staple remover was "Mr Snappy", or "Ken" if you were being informal.

Comment

We have EVERYTHING at work named. We turn in gas receipts with our own names (or nicknames, everyone at work has nicknames too) and the trucks 'name' as opposed to unit number. Theres Connie, Hank, Ferdie etc. Our staple puller is named Tommie (after tom cruise long pointy teeth in whatever vampire movie he was in decades ago). Our bin is named Audrey (feed me Seymore), our generators have names (Debbie (she's a downer), reg, BBB (big blue bastard), big mike, little mike, etc).

If my staple puller was loud and hyper like a child I might call him Dennis (the Menace) or Nermal. Not weird at all.
      Pain and suffering are inevitable...misery is optional.

Comment

After googling, companion name - Tigger, opposite personality
        Does the opposite of what Eyore does

Comment

Surgeon. That's what I would name a staple remover, if I were so inclined.

Me, I stick to naming vehicles.

My current Blazer is Cathy.
          My previous Blazer was Babs.

Many of you have seen me refer to my bicycles, Amanda, Betsy, and my newest baby, Rebecca.

My new (to me) red motor scooter: Rhonda the Red Rum Runner.

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
          Still A Customer."

Comment

I name my computers. I've had Frankenputer, Lurch, Dexter, Hannibal, and I still need to name the current Windows XP desktop (recently Frankensteined together, but I've already used that name. I do tend to think of computers as male). My current phone (Samsung Galaxy SIII) is named Orion.

At work, the shredder in the admin office is called Chewie. He's a messy eater, too.
            "Crazy may always be open for business, but on the full moon, it has buy one get one free specials." - WishfulSpirit

"Sometimes customers remind me of zombies, but I'm pretty sure that zombies are smarter." - MelindaJoy77

Comment

Rhonda the Red Rum Runner
              For some reason when I try to say this out loud it comes out wrong. Good tongue twister there!

I haven't named my items at work although my stapler does have googly eyes on it. I still haven't decided where to stick the larger pair of googly eyes I brought in.

At home, though, my laptop is Stanley and my printer is Meredith....named for the solenoid robots on the old Roger Ramjet cartoon show.
              When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Staple remover, Vlad, of course. Sheesh =)
                Our previous Chevy S-10, a 1984 we bought for $700 in 1990 had previously been in an accident and there was an ever so slight twist in the frame we named Betsy at first, then when pieces kept falling off and being wired or duct taped back on, Zombie. [interior, stuff like glove box door, inner door lining, head liner, trim strips...]
                My 1979 Scout was Baby.
                My desktop is named Socrates, the laptop is Diogenes, the tablet is Hyapatia.
                EVE Online: 99% of the time you sit around waiting for something to happen, but that 1% of action is what hooks people like crack, you don't get interviewed by the BBC for a WoW raid.

Comment

The scooter was partly named for my favorite liquor, and partly because of The Shining.

And speaking of google eyes, does anyone know if they make really large google eyes? It would be awesome to attach a pair to Rhonda. They'd have to be weather resistant, of course, this being the tropics and all. But it would be a very cool Key Weird kinda thing to do. And amusingly, not that odd on the Key Weird scale...I haven't seen it lately, but there used to be a woman in town with a pink scooter all done up like a flamingo, including feathers and boas, among other things.

Quoth AccountingDrone View Post
                  ...then when pieces kept falling off and being wired or duct taped back on, Zombie. [interior, stuff like glove box door, inner door lining, head liner, trim strips...]
                  Sadly, a common problem with Chevy trucks of that era. I had that issue with my '89 Blazer, and to a lesser extent with my current '00 Blazer. Mechanically great, non-mechanically, they age badly.

Still A Customer."

Comment

For the staple remover, how about Fizgig, from the movie The Dark Crystal.
                    "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

Another idea for the staple remover, in honor of the recently passed Richard Kiel how about "Jaws"?

Mike
                      Meow.........

Comment

Quoth Jester View Post
                        And speaking of google eyes, does anyone know if they make really large google eyes?
                        Largest I've found are about an inch in diameter. I've got a bunch of varying sizes that I glued to magnetic strips and decorated various household items with. The toaster looks quite good with it's five eyes now.

Comment

Quoth Kal View Post
                          Largest I've found are about an inch in diameter.
                          Well, then you have these that are 7 inches in diameter. Definitely too large to put on the front of a scooter. These seem to be more small car size.

Now that I'm actually looking for such things, I probably should take measurements of the front of my scooter, see what I have to work with.

Also, for the crafty and engineering types: what would I have to do to keep such googly eyes on a scooter that goes upwards of 45 mph, on a tropical island that has frequent rainy and windy conditions? Not that I drive my scooter in the rain--I actually go out of my way not too. But even when it's not moving, the scooter will still be exposed to the elements. And every now and then, I do get caught in the rain.

So, best way to keep googly eyes attached to a two wheeled motor vehicle, when such things were clearly never designed for such a purpose? They come with an adhesive back, but I'm guessing it's not wind tunnel tested.

EDITED TO ADD: Upon continued hunting, found these 4 inch eyes. At a guess, I'm thinking these would be more scooter-friendly.
                          Last edited by Jester; 09-16-2014, 03:29 PM.

Still A Customer."

Comment

Quoth Jester View Post
                            So, best way to keep googly eyes attached to a two wheeled motor vehicle, when such things were clearly never designed for such a purpose? They come with an adhesive back, but I'm guessing it's not wind tunnel tested.
                            No experience with two-wheeled motor vehicles, but I've used Lepage's "No More Nails" tape to attach stainless plates for annual safety and IFTA stickers to my truck for the past 4 years, and haven't had any problems with it coming loose.
                            Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Something I'll check into.

One thing I hadn't thought of when I first started pondering about the googly eyes for the scooter: it has to be something that doesn't leave marks when I remove them in a year, when I (hopefully) move back to Phoenix and sell the scooter before I leave here. Since not everyone is going to want a scooter with googly eyes.

Still A Customer."

Comment

Working...
                              X