This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gratz on the good bird! May it be the first of many! ^_^
    "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
    "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
    "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
    "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
    "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
    "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
    Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
    "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Quoth wolfie View Post
      Great! Sounds like time to celebrate your success in the kitchen by sitting down with a nice sipping bourbon. Dare I suggest - Wild Turkey?
      *TWEEEEEEEET!

Excessive use of bad puns!
      5 yard penalty!
      Repeat third post!

Comment

My Grammie used to cut one wide panel or a slit in the wide part out of a paper bag, smear butter or crisco on the partial bag, and tent that over the turkey. I don't know if this was because roasting bags hadn't been invented, or it was a gramma thang, but it worked a treat. Just in case anyone is caught bag less and thinks they need one, just don't put the heat up too high...

Comment

I remember my grandparents using a brown paper bag as a roasting bag, but the information I've found on line suggests that it's not really a great idea, especially if the bag is made of partly or all recycled material, due to chemical residue from re-processing the paper.
          You're only delaying the inevitable, you run at your own expense. The repo man gets paid to chase you. ~Argabarga

Comment

Quoth Luna Baby View Post
            I learned by starting with just a breast
            So did I...then you move on to other bits....

oh wait,we're talking turkeys.... aah...ok.... not what I thought
            The Copyright Monster has made me tell you that my avatar is courtesy of the wonderful Alice XZ.And you don't want to annoy the Copyright Monster.

Comment

Jar - You have no idea. Unless you've been archive binging here, trust me, you've seen only the very tip of the iceberg
              "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
              "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
              "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
              "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
              "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
              "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
              Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
              "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Quoth EricKei View Post
                Jar - You have no idea. Unless you've been archive binging here, trust me, you've seen only the very tip of the iceberg
                Agreed, if we were going into soccer penalties (aka yellow card/red card) you'd have run out of red cards LOOOONG ago.
                I AM the evil bastard!
                A+ Certified IT Technician

Comment

Quoth Kit-Ginevra View Post
                  So did I...then you move on to other bits....

oh wait,we're talking turkeys.... aah...ok.... not what I thought

Somehow, I knew my post would go there......

Comment

Quoth wolfie View Post
                    Great! Sounds like time to celebrate your success in the kitchen by sitting down with a nice sipping bourbon. Dare I suggest - Wild Turkey?
                    You're evil.

And now I want turkey dammit *pouts*
                    The best professors are mad scientists! -Zoom

Now queen of USSR-Land...

Comment

Quoth Jarlaxle View Post
                      *TWEEEEEEEET!

Excessive use of bad puns!
                      5 yard penalty!
                      Repeat third post!

5 yard penalty? CS isn't a (stereotypical) frat house.
                      Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

I've cooked a turkey every year for the past 8 years....wow....had to think about that one.

I agree with the butter on and under the breasts.

This year I want to try the bacon across the body, the boys love bacon.

Normally I leave the body cavity empty, may try the apples and onions. I have my own herb blend I use for seasoning.
                        It is by snark alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the juice of the coffee bean that thoughts acquire 'tude, the lips acquire mouthiness, the glares become a warning.

Comment

Now that I've got a freezer big enough to keep a turkey in, we'll be having it a bit more often. I plan on picking up two or three of them when they go on sale for Thanksgiving. And then closer to Christmas I should also be able to see about getting a ham.
                          You're only delaying the inevitable, you run at your own expense. The repo man gets paid to chase you. ~Argabarga

Comment

I use Reynolds' oven bags. First though, I brine the bird (sans neck & giblets) in a solution of 1/4 Cup salt AND white sugar overnight-24 hours in an unheated space (garage or back porch).
                            [To determine how much water you'll need, place WRAPPED bird in the bucket or bowl you'll be soaking it in, and add water until the bird is fully covered. Remove bird and measure the volume of water. Add salt and sugar and stir until dissolved. Unwrap and rinse bird, remove neck & giblets (set aside if using for gravy, otherwise discard). Remove bird from brine solution. Discard brine. Pat bird dry inside and out.]
                            Follow oven bag directions (adding flour to bag, cutting slits, preheating oven to 350 degrees) but insert temp probe in thigh and program to 170 degrees. I've found the bird to be done an about 2 to 2.25 hours (18# bird). Allow to cool until it's safe to handle and dismember.
                            I've used this method for about 20 years and it's been juicy and succulent

Remember, cooking the turkey is the EASY part. Getting everything else cooked and ready to serve at the same time is the challenging part.

Comment

For the first time ever, Thanksgiving (Canadian) was at my place. Usually I go to mom and dads, or we go somewhere else and not have anything special. That was going to be the plan originally (they were going to go to Bangor with the camper), but instead of going to the States, they went to a campground near my place. (Beautiful weekend for camping all in all). So since they were close, I figured I'd invite them down for thanksgiving dinner for a change.

Saturday was spent going around uptown, getting stuff I've never needed before (Turkey baster, roasting pan, poultry seasoning, and of course the Turkey). Just picked a small bird thankfully and went from there.

Saturday night, I boiled some taters for the stuffing, and peeled and chopped the rest of the taters and carrots to cook the next day.

Sunday, I started getting things going. I did remove the neck and rinsed the bird out, but I almost missed the gibblets in the arse end of the bird before mom mentioned it on the phone. Got it seasoned up (we don't do anything special but when/if I do it again, I'll probably try some of the butter tricks). Just slow cooked it in the roaster till mom got in.

And in the end, he turned out great. Stuffing could have been a bit better (not sure what was different but we had all the basics) and the Gravy was off (our spicing choices haven't been matching what it used to be for some reason), but all in all it was a great dinner.

And now I have Turkey sandwiches for the rest of the week. (Finished off the gravy, carrots and taters and stuffing last night with a hot turkey sandwich for dinner). And still a big chunk of turkey meat I need to decide what to do with. (No bones; mom striped and tossed them before we left; we don't usually do soups). It's the first time in 10+ years I've really had Turkey Leftovers to carry over from the dinner.

Comment

Find any recipe for chicken a la king...it works just as well with turkey.

Comment

Working...
                                X