Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Moving... I swore I'd never do it again....

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Moving... I swore I'd never do it again....

In 2008 I swore I would never move house again unless I was rich enough to go away on holiday and pay someone to do it for me and come back to an unpacked house...

So of course in the last 12 months I'll have moved 3 times...

Jan 14 when I moved out from my Ex-hubbys house
    NYE/NYD moving flat mate across town to his own rental
    Next weekend moving me from the rental to my owned place.

7 days until we get the van and I'm already dreading it and have way too much to pack between now and then... And now my body is declared a Fibro Flare which is making it all the more bloody fun!

This time I mean it: After this I'm not moving unless I can bloody pay someone to do it all for me and fully unpack it all....
    I am so SO glad I was not present for this. There would have been an unpleasant duct tape incident. - Joi

Quoth Gizmo View Post
    ...This time I mean it:
    Long live Marinus van der Lubbe!
    I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
    Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
    Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

I feel your pain.

I have lived at home for 30 years, even when I went to college, I did not move that much stuff (papers, microwave, small fridge).

I just bought a house, and am wondering if all my family will survive the move.
      I might be crazy, but I'm not Insane.

What? You don't play with flamethrowers on the weekends? You are strange.

Comment

I hear you Gizmo. I moved three times in 2005: From California to NC, then from my first apartment to a different one. Three years later, into a house.

I helped Evil Empryss move last summer.

I'm looking for a new job, and I'm looking out of state. So odds are I'll be moving myself something within the next 12 months.

So not looking forward to that.
        They say that God only gives us what we can handle. Apparently, God thinks I'm a bad ass.

Comment

After I moved from my childhood home after 30 some years to a new state I've had 5 different addresses in 12 years, this year I plan on moving again just don't know where. It's going to probably be in the same area though I'd really like to move some place a bit warmer.
          I would have a nice day, but I have other things to do.

Comment

Yup. There's an old saying, "two moves equals one fire", and it's best to sell or throw away as much as humanly possible, including furniture and clothes, before performing.

Comment

I moved from the north to the south about twelve years ago, said I'd never do it again either -- then again, I also had two cats at the time so THAT was fun. I still won't move again unless it's an emergency, everything I need is within a ten to fifteen minute drive.
              Eh, one day I'll have something useful here. Until then, have a cookie or two.

Comment

Last time I moved it was just what I could put in the car with three kids and two dogs. And the car was a Civic. Yeah, I don't have much any more. Though it does make moving easier.
                At the conclusion of an Irish wedding, the priest said "Everybody please hug the person who has made your life worth living. The bartender was nearly crushed to death.

Comment

Quoth Android Kaeli View Post
                  I moved from the north to the south about twelve years ago, said I'd never do it again either -- then again, I also had two cats at the time so THAT was fun. I still won't move again unless it's an emergency, everything I need is within a ten to fifteen minute drive.
                  If we had to drop everything and move out to California this instant, we would have to trap 6 outside cats of varying tameness, 5 geese and our 2 inside cats, and figure out how to get their feathered/furred asses 3000 miles/7 days drive west without their dying.

[My best guess with the geese would be to toss down cardboard and a layer of straw in the bottom of the back of the pickup, and add an RV airconditioner to the cap to keep it cool enough to transport the geese and strap in one of the 1 gallon stockpots for water. I would prefer to drive it in September to make it less inclemently warm and not yet freezing cold. Cats would get popped into 3 large cages [2 penguin cages, 1 leftover iguana habitat cage] for the ferals and stacked neatly in the back of the momvan, and the 2 house cats would go into 2 oversized cat carriers. The pickup would do the gentle 7 or so day drive along with the ferals [the cages are big enough for litter pans and water/food] the house cats and I would do the 4 day banzai run as those carriers and I would have to get a move on because they are too small to add in a litter pan, and as yet neither cat is willing to do the shit on a leash thing. AS they are no longer kittens I doubt they can be trained to do so.]
                  EVE Online: 99% of the time you sit around waiting for something to happen, but that 1% of action is what hooks people like crack, you don't get interviewed by the BBC for a WoW raid.

Comment

Quoth TheSHAD0W View Post
                    Yup. There's an old saying, "two moves equals one fire", and it's best to sell or throw away as much as humanly possible, including furniture and clothes, before performing.
                    I did have the somewhat aid of leaving whatever I didn't want back at the old house which the Ex then tried to sell most of for a few quid a piece even if it was practically scrap...

A few bits that didn't need to came with me but not too much..... I think!

We have also been doing bits like curtains etc. at the new place so that took up the time I was terribly failing to use to pack today....

Tomorrow... the work starts tomorrow... honest! I work better under pressure...

(Edit - no fur babies to move thank goodness. I am adopted by my friends cats but don't serve any of my own...)
                    I am so SO glad I was not present for this. There would have been an unpleasant duct tape incident. - Joi

Comment

I have always heard it said that the worse place to mover to is across the street. Because when you move across the street you take everything with you, including the trash.
                      "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

I understand the working under pressuer thing.

We started moving on dec 19th ( two loads of boxes in my crv). Did all the big stuff on the 21st and have been chipping at it since then.

Need to be out of the rental by mid day on Jan 9th. Has set aside 7/8th to clean but still have maybe 3 more car loads to do before them.

House and rental are only about a 10 min drive apart that combined with how long we had left on our lease made us lazy.

Comment

Yeah, I do have that problem too. Plus the issues with the friends flat meant he should have got it early December and got it only NYE.....

So none of the packing really got done due to that and the social life that December usually ends up bringing being even more hectic than usual this time. I expected to have a month to pack once he was gone and instead its been basically a week.

Today got me mostly unable to actually pack stuff but I did get my address changes done and a few crates and bags packed up....

Now I have the rental agent doing a viewing tomorrow afternoon which means I need to get it back to partly "tidy" for that.... which based on prior viewings there is a 50% chance it wont happen anyway. (they've turned up to 3 of 7 viewings and the rest didn't happen for various boneheaded reasons)

Comment

And the rental agents strike again... see my other thread in Off topic for details.

However I did manage to get about 3 bags of rubbish thrown away, another unit cleared and some more of the kitchen packed. Despite being in "barely able to move" mode today.

Not much left now and most of it can be done after the majority of furniture is shifted...

Comment

Well moving done. Lots of fun with the agents and other than that took it easy and didn't rush.

Did pay a price today however... friend managed to ding the van at the petrol station due to a bit of a tight turn and hitting a steel bollard thing that we just didn't see.... and the excess was not small. Whats done is done eh?

1 more car load and some more cleaning to do before property check out at the rental... but now I can start to relax. And unpack boxes and reconstruct furniture and... and... and.... lol

Comment

Working...
                              X