This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Guinea Pigs!

So, I just got these two young and crazy critters from a rescue last week. They're about 8-9 months old.

They're opening up to me, but spend most of their time cowering in their boxes (especially the male (yes, he is neutered)).

Their names are Basil (white face) and Sybil. She is definitely the boss!

I've read a lot on them, but any advice from personal experience would be appreciated.

(The only one I know for sure that has a piggy is bhskittykatt. I do love me some Pippin. )

Video!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dXbVoQsmCjE

Edit: Peeg-tures for those who can't view the video:

Last edited by Lachrymose; 01-14-2015, 07:25 PM.

SQUEE! They're so adorable! yay peegies!
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

Comment

SQUEEx2!!!! I'm sure they'll adjust and become friendly pets.
      "Crazy may always be open for business, but on the full moon, it has buy one get one free specials." - WishfulSpirit

"Sometimes customers remind me of zombies, but I'm pretty sure that zombies are smarter." - MelindaJoy77

Comment

Quoth Lachrymose View Post
        So, I just got these two young and crazy critters from a rescue last week. They're about 8-9 months old.

They're opening up to me, but spend most of their time cowering in their boxes
        Look at it from a rodent's viewpoint. They're a prey species, and they've just been uprooted into a strange new environment. It'll take time for them to learn that their boxes aren't the only "safe" place in this environment, and that the big critters (i.e. people) are not predators, but rather bringers of food.

Once they learn this, they'll be somewhat more friendly.
        Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

I have a black and white cutie named Phoebe! She was bought by friends of mine as a friend for their other piggle, but that piggle passed away about a week later (probably died of a broken heart due to her previous piggle friend passing away a couple weeks previously). It turned out that my son and I were the only two people that Phoebe would be content to spend long periods of time getting attention from before she'd start to fret...so my friends gave her to us It's like they bought a piggle to hold onto until we could bring her home.

Comment

I picked up a pair of older guinea pigs over the summer from the shelter. I had been considering the idea for awhile and noticed that two brothers had been at the SPCA for months, so I pulled the trigger and brought them home. At four and a half years old, I assumed they were unlikely candidates for adoption.

Unfortunately one of them injured his eye badly in October, then passed away in late November. In retrospect he probably had a serious kidney issue, for he drank and urinated 5x the amount of water his brother did. I don't think he would have made it much longer regardless.

Char is still doing fine and looks like he will hang around for a few more years.

Though I don't plan to get any more animals soon, in the future I will maintain my intention of only adopting the old animals that are being looked over.
            "Announcing your intentions is a good way to hear God laugh." Al Swearingen (Deadwood)

Comment

Quoth wolfie View Post
              Look at it from a rodent's viewpoint.
              Well, yeah. I wasn't really questioning that.

Kuari, pics or we don't believe you!

2gig, you didn't get them from a place initialed SA by any chance, did you?

And to the "SQUUEEErs"..I agreeers!

Comment

Naw, just down the road from me in Maryland's capital city.
                "Announcing your intentions is a good way to hear God laugh." Al Swearingen (Deadwood)

Comment

Ah, okay. I went to a place near Mt. Airy.

Comment

Quoth 2gigch1 View Post
                    Naw, just down the road from me in Maryland's capital city.
                    Bit of an old reference (last time I encountered it was in the early '80s), but does your wardrobe consist entirely of lace? Cookies to see if anyone else gets it.
                    Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Here's my Phoebe

Last edited by KuariKaydrith; 01-18-2015, 02:02 AM.

Comment

Aaaaawwwww.
                        "Crazy may always be open for business, but on the full moon, it has buy one get one free specials." - WishfulSpirit

"Sometimes customers remind me of zombies, but I'm pretty sure that zombies are smarter." - MelindaJoy77

Comment

Cuteh pah!

Comment

Working...
                          X