This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Small Achievements.

Bast pointed out to me that even when I'm having a bad day or a bad week, I can get things done if I take them a single step at a time.

So one knot at a time - sometimes even two or three! - I finished making a knotted bracelet for my nephew.

One stitch at a time, I finished embellishing my needlebook, adding the button and buttonhole.

And one layer at a time, I cut the eye space out of the eyepatch I'm crafting for myself.
    My bad eye is sometimes very hypersensitive to light, and commercial eyepatches I've found have all been painful in some way. So I've cut an eyehole in many layers of felt, with thick felt and no hole for the top layer.
    I'll sew the layers together, shape the outside to make space for my nose, then put a thin layer of quilting padding against the skin side, and cover the whole thing with sewn-on satin or a scrap cut from an old silk skirt I've worn out, or something comfortable like that.

So yeah, it'll take a while to finish the eyepatch at that pace, but it'll get done. And the other things are done!
    Seshat's self-help guide:
    1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
    2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
    3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
    4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Yay for little victories.

That eyepatch sounds comfy!

Comment

When I hold it to my face to test it, everything except the bit that pokes against my nose is comfy, yes. I want to wait till it's sewn together to cut that bit off.

Once I have the basic design perfected, I may well make a few of them, to suit different moods. One steampunk faux-monocle. One pirate patch complete with skull and crossbones. One with a home-made Marvin the Martian (or just an earth-shattering kaboom).
      Last edited by Seshat; 01-17-2015, 04:55 PM.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

You need to make a Phantom of the Opera eyepatch/half-mask. It's a moral imperative! ^_*
        "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
        "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
        "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
        "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
        "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
        "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
        Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
        "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

OH. MY!

You are completely correct.

And a Dragon Age: Awakenings 'The Architect' eyecover, but with a gap for my good eye.

Comment

Umm, Can we get picts of these? Please.

I would really love to see a steam-punk themed eye patch.
            I might be crazy, but I'm not Insane.

What? You don't play with flamethrowers on the weekends? You are strange.

Comment

I second the request for pics. Those sound really neat.
              Question authority, but raise your hand first. -Alan M. Bershowitz

Comment

All that's finished so far are the needlebook and the knotted bracelet. The initial eyepatch is currently felt with holes in it, and the first two layers partially stitched.

The later eyepatches are months away at best.

Comment

Working...
                X