This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• D&D

As I get older I'm finding myself interested in more involved board games and card games and such. I have never played D&D or really anything similar but I would like to try it. I have one friend that plays Magic the Gathering but that's it.
    How do I learn/start playing? Suggestions?

Do you have a hastings book store in your area? They have games there every Friday. Barring that, most stores that carry the cards will have hook ups to local games available. I know in mycity, there is at least two store run games, open to anyone and many more private ones. Its fun once you get started and they just had a new deck come out.

Comment

Magic is a card game, not a role playing game.

I'd check out local book stores, especially gaming stores.

D&D is pretty easy to learn. You can probably find tutorials online to help you learn the basics, but they are very straightforward. You can pick up the rules online cheaply as well, and the Players Handbook is all you need.
      They say that God only gives us what we can handle. Apparently, God thinks I'm a bad ass.

Comment

There is also people here that would be more then happy to explain D&D over Skype or such. If you want, I can help you get started. While I don't run games any more (I never finish them ) I have plenty of experience.
        Engaged to the amazing Marmalady. She is my Silver Dragon, shining as bright as the sun. I her Black Dragon (though good honestly), dark as night..fierce and strong.

Comment

Another game you might look at is WarHammer Quest. The game is hard to find, but if you're a crafting sort it's not that hard to make a set. Printable PDF files for rules, cards, board pieces, loot tables and player classes are available online, and you can use just about any sorts of figurines for the players and monsters.
          You're only delaying the inevitable, you run at your own expense. The repo man gets paid to chase you. ~Argabarga

Comment

Quoth Kittish View Post
            Another game you might look at is WarHammer Quest.
            Another out of print hard to find role playing game is Hero Quest, also by Game Workshop. Returning to the present day, a recent entry is Pathfinder, based on old AD&D rules.

For card games, look at Munchkin, and the board game version Munchkin Quest.
            "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

Ack!! Sorry, I misread. All of what I said is still applicable, as many people play both.

Comment

Any local game store will probably be able to help you here. Look for a game store that both sells games and has a play area. Many of them host D&D on a weekly basis and welcome newcomers (there will be a small fee in some cases to play.) As for Magic, again, any place that sells the cards and has a play area should be able to help. Go hang out and ask anyone playing Magic to teach you or ask the store staff if they can help point you in the right direction.

Comment

DnD is an amazing game. I've been playing for a while doing weekly sessions with my roommate, my partner and a few coworkers.

One of our groups got so interesting I made a blog to chronicle their adventures.
                  http://anotherdndblog.tumblr.com/
                  Patient has severely impacted cranial rectosis. There's probably no cure. - Overheard in ER

Comment

Thanks, I will look for a local game store and see what I can find.

Comment

Well, if you're serious about it, pick up the three DnD bibles (otherwise known as the Player's Handbook, the Dungeon Master's Guide, and the Monsterous Manual) The DMG and MM are not immediately required but the PHB is. Anything else is supplemental information. Make sure they're all of the same edition though. Apart from that, try to find a group to get involved with and learn from them. Playing DnD is a very hands on and fluid experience. You won't learn simply by reading the books and you might get overwhelmed. Learning hands on will cut through the confusing parts and get you into playing.
                      I AM the evil bastard!
                      A+ Certified IT Technician

Comment

Working...
                      X