X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Old Movie Fans?

Anyone here like old movies?

I am watching my new Blu-Ray of Casablanca and it is BEAUTIFUL. So crisp!

"I already gave him the best, knowing he is German and will take it anyway."
    https://www.facebook.com/authorpatriciacorrell/

I absolutely adore old movies =) The one film I install on all my stuff is Fritz Lang's M. I have probably spent somewhere in the region of $2500 at Criterion picking up 'those stupid black and white films you have to read because they don't speak english' *sigh* I watch TCM much of the time [I alternate between documentaries and old movies - there are not a lot of brand new movies I would bother spending money upon, especially shitty remakes/reboots/re-envisionings] and the few TV series we bother watching [Dr Who, Grimm, Penny Dreadful, The Knick]

I want to run a cable tv channel called 'The Cheese' that plays all the second feature, B-list stuff - like the old cheesy SF and monster movies, the off brand film noir detective stuff, the quickie light romantic comedies - the stuff that doesn't currently get much play time because they don't have the famous actors in them. So many films were made in the US, Canada and Britain that never get shown because they were not the A-list stars. If you go browse the cheap black and white filler movies over on Netflix, there are thousands of hours of movies that nobody watches any more.
    EVE Online: 99% of the time you sit around waiting for something to happen, but that 1% of action is what hooks people like crack, you don't get interviewed by the BBC for a WoW raid.

Comment

I also like the old movies. I have a lot of B&W mysteries from the 30s, such as Charlie Chan, The Thin Man, Mr. Moto, Mr. Wong, Sherlock Holmes and the Maltese Falcon.
      "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

I love The Thin Man! Those movies were the best! Oh, Charlie Chan, too!

There used to be a program on here called "Offbeat Cinema". Not sure if it's still on. It was a local show with these two guys and a gal dressed as 50's beatniks and they would show the cheesiest movies ever made, including "Plan 9 from Outer Space."
        When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

I love old movies. We had a film class in college, and saw some interesting silent and classic films. Wish I could remember all of them; one was a German one about a doorman, one was The Andalusian Dog (which I would rather not see again), the last one we saw was Shane (very good film). Oh yeah, we also saw Citizen Kane (also very good, albeit long).

When we first moved up here, the recession was in full swing, we were broke and barely making the rent. Free movie rentals from the library were real sanity savers. They're mostly old black & white movies, foreign films and BBC, but they're very good and a much better deal than shilling out money I didn't have for recent rentals. Saw Metropolis, The Great Dictator, Casablanca, more recent films like The Hanging Gale (with Paul McGann and his brothers; very good but very sad) and many others.

Whoops, rambling! Anyway, I really enjoy old movies. I think I'll introduce my son to the Marx Brothers, I think he'd get a kick out of them.
          Last edited by XCashier; 01-31-2015, 01:04 AM.
          I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
          My LiveJournal
          A page we can all agree with!

Comment

Rare team ups of actors are nice in old movies. I like "The Man who Shot Liberty Valance" because it's the only movie where Jimmy Stewart and John Wayne co starred.

Comment

Netflix has 'Gentlemen's Agreement', an excellent movie with Cary Grant. It's about a journalist who goes undercover a Jew to expose institutionalized anti-Semitism, and it's shocking how much of what happens can relate directly to issues of racism, classism etc. today. Like people who tell them there are 'good Jews' and 'bad Jews', his Jewish secretary who complains about the 'kikey' Jews making her look bad...

I feel like movie stars today aren't nearly as classy as they used to be. Of course back then all sorts of scandal was going on, but everyone seemed so suave it was easier to ignore. And the women were just lovelier, I feel like. The only modern actor who I feel comes slightly close to giving off that vibe of class is George Clooney (and I'm not even a fan, he just always looks nice and comes off well in interviews).

My favorites are Marlene Dietrich, Dana Andrews and Humphrey Bogart. I was sad when Lauren Bacall died recently too, she was remarkable.
              https://www.facebook.com/authorpatriciacorrell/

Comment

I used to love Sunday afternoons watching old movies; that was all my local tv station played. They were great: Alfred Hitchcock, Laurel and Hardy, Abbott and Costello, all the old monster/early sci fi movies, the Japanese monster movies (Godzilla et al) and so on. And the Westerns! Oh the westerns. My dad loved those; he'd often sit and watch them with me.
                They say that God only gives us what we can handle. Apparently, God thinks I'm a bad ass.

Comment

Love old movies, but I tend towards the 60's-80's B-movies myself. Right now I'm working my way through a set of old 70's Brucesploitation flicks. I've got a ton of Godzilla movies, the two sets of Marx Brothers classics, Hitchcock, giallo, horror, sci-fi...

I may have a problem.
                  "Kamala the Ugandan Giant" 1950-2020 • "Bullet" Bob Armstrong 1939-2020 • "Road Warrior Animal" 1960-2020 • "Zeus" Tiny Lister Jr. 1958-2020 • "Hacksaw" Butch Reed 1954-2021 • "New Jack" Jerome Young 1963-2021 • "Mr. Wonderful" Paul Orndorff 1949-2021 • "Beautiful" Bobby Eaton 1958-2021 • Daffney 1975-2021

Comment

Quoth El Pollo Guerrera View Post
                    ...I may have a problem.
                    There's a 12-stomp program for that...
                    I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
                    Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
                    Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

AnaKhouri I think I'm a little jealous. I might need to invest in a Blu-Ray player. I love Brief Encounter, and yep, that's on Blu-Ray too. I love an old musical too, especially Judy Garland ones.
                      "So you think they named this ship the "Chimera" because there's a monster on board?" Tony DiNozzo

"They did not name it the puppy" Ziva David - NCIS, Chimera

Comment

I love Bogart movies. Especially Tp Have and Have Not, with Lauren Bacall.

"If you need me whistle. You know how to whistle don't you? Just put your lips together and blow..."

We showed Casablanca for charity when I worked at the cinema. I put the print together - it was an older print (not really old though) and came in metal film cans. That was so cool.
                        Last edited by cinema guy; 02-01-2015, 09:14 PM.
                        "I can tell her you're all tied up in the projection room." Sunset Boulevard.

Comment

My mother was a died-in-the-wool horror movie fan. The old ones, not the modern chainsaw gore type stuff. Dracula, Frankenstein, The Mummy. I like to think that when she passed away, she got to meet Boris Karloff and Lon Chaney She also liked the original Japanese monster movies - Godzilla, Mothra (I can still hear those two girls singing that weird song!), etc.
                          When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Quoth Barracuda View Post
                            Rare team ups of actors are nice in old movies. I like "The Man who Shot Liberty Valance" because it's the only movie where Jimmy Stewart and John Wayne co starred.
                            I remember hearing this was the first movie which mentions the villain in the title.
                            "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

Quoth Ironclad Alibi View Post
                              I remember hearing this was the first movie which mentions the villain in the title.
                              I heard that also. Not really sure if it is true or not, I would imagine Dracula being both titular character and the bad guy would count ... [count, hehehe] Frankenstein would not - Frankenstein was the name of the Doctor, not the monster, unless you consider usurping the role of God monsterific. Hmmmm.
                              EVE Online: 99% of the time you sit around waiting for something to happen, but that 1% of action is what hooks people like crack, you don't get interviewed by the BBC for a WoW raid.

Comment

Working...
                              X