This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm going to get new teeth

Yeah I'm going to get the rest of my teeth yanked out of my head and I'm going to get false ones, but on the plus side after I get this crap done my new ones will look like they belong to me and be size appropriate and straight. I was talking to my parents and aunt Lorraine about this and we discussed my options regarding it, I don't want implants because of a couple reasons mostly money. I've thought all this through before but I know now is the time to finally do it, I avoided it but when one of your teeth comes loose on its own and you can just tug it out you don't want to wait for the rest to do that (if they do).

I've mentioned before about how I drew the short straw when it came to teeth huge teeth with a small mouth and they are weak as shit, and I had to have more than a few removed over the years due to spacing issues and a cavity that I couldn't see due to where it was. But yeah I don't give a shit what the gossips at work are gonna say and to be honest I don't care, a lot of people in my family (especially my dad's side) got false teeth a bit earlier than what most people would consider the right age. My aunt Lorraine got hers a couple of years before she turned 30, so as weird as it may sound I think that it's good mine lasted this long.

I was looking on here to see how people handle going to the dentist, because now even though I'm kinda still a little freaked out about going I want to because I just want to get this done and over with. Obviously actually going there and sitting in the chair with the smell of the place is going to make me a little uneasy but the parts I'm really going to dread are where he is going to tell me to consider other options that I think are out the window at this point, I was already able to tug one out already so I just want you to take out the ones that are still remaining. And of course the money.

I'm going to go to my mom's dentist, she said he's really good not one to rip into patients because my mom has had a couple of cavities and she said he doesn't like to put people down. That's exactly what I what I would hope for in a dentist but I know I'm still gonna get the "why take these last ones out" speech, but a couple of other people from work go to this guy and he does payment plans which I think is a really good thing since insurance only covers so much and I'm not made out of money. The only absolutely definite things I know for right now are I'm gonna wear a sweater since it always seems to be freezing cold in medical places and he's gonna have to gas me out, the last time I was gassed out at the dentist I rembered him counting backwards from 10 and when I became aware again I was sitting on the couch watching cartoons. And that's exactly how I want it to be when I get my teeth pulled: going to sleep halfway through the countdown to becoming aware later on just chillin on the couch watching tv.
    ......../\
    ....../__\
    ..../\...../\
    ../__\../__\

I just started going to the dentist after not having a single dental visit in....god I dunno, ten years or more?

This was part laziness, and part not being able to figure out how to get a replacement dental insurance card to replace my old, hopelessly-smeared one.

It wasn't all that fun--a lot of scraping and bleeding. But now I know how to get into a better dental routine so my future visits will hopefully be easier.
    Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

Quoth Irving Patrick Freleigh View Post
      I just started going to the dentist after not having a single dental visit in....god I dunno, ten years or more?

This was part laziness, and part not being able to figure out how to get a replacement dental insurance card to replace my old, hopelessly-smeared one.

It wasn't all that fun--a lot of scraping and bleeding. But now I know how to get into a better dental routine so my future visits will hopefully be easier.
      Irv, see if you can find a mouthwash by "The Natural Dentist" that says it prevents bleeding gums. I used to always bleed when they cleaned my teeth until I started using this. It really worked for me, might work for you as well. Just a suggestion.
      When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Actually, a couple days of vigorous brushing at the gum line and flossing every night have stopped the bleeding.

Dentist said once I got into that routine, my gums would toughen up, if you will.
        Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

As someone considering implants, what are you other reasons?
          My Guide to Oblivion

"I resent the implication that I've gone mad, Sprocket."

Comment

Good for you, Zellie! I'm turning 36 and hoping to get full top and bottom dentures before returning to college this fall. I struggle with depression off and on and haven't had the best history of taking care of myself, so in my personal opinion I'd rather deal with getting the dentures than repeated, expensive visits to attempt to save what I have left. I've got several missing teeth, broken off at the gumline (including the front top teeth), and the rest all have some form of damage or another. My family also has a history of getting dentures relatively early, around this age, so I'm not exactly worried about the age being an issue. Due to my anxiety, I plan to get IV sedation; I've never been gassed so I have no idea if that type of sedation would be enough to keep me calm throughout the procedure. I just don't want to feel the tugging and pulling and hearing/feeling the grinding and cracking as they extract teeth; the thought of it makes me shudder.

Good luck, and show us that smile when you're done!

Comment

Don't feel bad about getting false teeth 'early'. It can happen to anyone, you don't have to be ancient.

My mum's siblings all ended up with false teeth before 25. They were 20, 22, 23, 23 and 25. The joys of having chalky teeth in the genetic mix.

I was lucky and got dad's good teeth genes. But my cousins lucked out and they both had partial plates by 25. One has full top plate at 30 (the other is only 26).
              A good bookshop is just a genteel Black Hole that knows how to read. - Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!

Comment

Thank you for your support, I don't want to get implants not only because of money but because I heard they have to screw them into you. I don't want to go through any more pain than what I know I'm already gonna have to deal with and I don't want to risk infection if they do something wrong, I know that sounds paranoid but I don't want the implants. And Irv I'm in the same boat as you when it comes to avoiding the dentist, the last time I went was early into my senior year of high school so I'm nervous.

Up until I was I think about 7 I had the worst experiences with going to the dentist, the one time he screwed up fixing a cavity and I had to go back to the same guy to see if he could fix it again. Before that when I was getting X-rays I threw up because I was scared of the machine, all the nurse did was replace the thing I had to bite down on and after the appointment my mom tried to clean me up in the bathroom and we didn't see the nurse again. After the cavity thing I went to someone that one of my moms friends recommended, he was a good dentist but I was always scared of going. After this I know I'll only have to go back so he can check on the state of my dentures, but yeah I always thought that false teeth were for those really super old people you see on TV that look like they're 100 years old in a nursing home. And yes I'll definitely smile for you guys when it's all done.
                Last edited by Zellie Crescent; 01-31-2015, 04:55 PM.
                ......../\
                ....../__\
                ..../\...../\
                ../__\../__\

Comment

Good for you!

It's hard to take the plunge and make a change about yourself. We gradually evolve to what we are at any given moment and to dramatically change that shows guts.

I have a coworker who is doing the implants route and I absolutely understand why people can't or won't do that. We make a decent living but he can't afford the $40,000 his work is costing. His father is springing for that. And it takes about 2 years.

When I meet folks like you I only see bravery.
                  "Announcing your intentions is a good way to hear God laugh." Al Swearingen (Deadwood)

Comment

I have extreme dentist phobia .... when I was very young I cracked a tooth and as it was needed to keep the tooth until the adult teeth came in it needed repair work done. My mom took me to her dentist, who started drilling with no novocaine and the old style non-eastman cooled drill ... I bit his thumb to the bone, and ended up with an extreme terror of dentists. *sigh* To go for a cleaning they need to trank me on valium. You should talk to the dentist and explain your need for sedation for anxiety - they can trank you and adjust your meds when in the chair. They really are getting better at helping patients cope with anxiety.
                    EVE Online: 99% of the time you sit around waiting for something to happen, but that 1% of action is what hooks people like crack, you don't get interviewed by the BBC for a WoW raid.

Comment

That's why I hate doctors too, I have a HUGE fear of needles. Back when we weren't sure if I had epilepsy I had to go to my mother's doctor, in addition to the EEG I also needed blood drawn and it fucking hurt. The older I got the more I squirmed and struggled, I had to be restrained by my mom and once my dad. Long story short on that I don't have epilepsy and all the tests, procedures, and medicine I had to take were for nothing. If they're going to need to do an IV or something they're going to have a LOT easier of a time putting it in my hand instead of my arm, I'm just like my mom and brother in that sense and if they do I'll ask them to do it when the gas fully takes effect.
                      ......../\
                      ....../__\
                      ..../\...../\
                      ../__\../__\

Comment

Well this afternoon before I went to work I went into the bathroom and got the little hand mirror under the sink to see if I could see my top teeth any good, and I kinda wish I hadn't. I have cavities. Now first thing tomorrow I'm gonna call up Nina and see if there are any dentists near me that take works insurance, and try to get an appointment ASAP. This is really freaking me out especially since my brother is recovering from a surgery that he needed because of an infection that almost killed him that started in his teeth, I'm freaking myself out because of it afraid I'm gonna wake up tomorrow and feel a ping in my chest and have to go to the hospital. You know what just to be on the safe side I'm gonna have to go to the doctor to have him check out my lungs and heart, I know it sounds really paranoid but at this point I don't care.
                        ......../\
                        ....../__\
                        ..../\...../\
                        ../__\../__\

Comment

Actually Zellie that sounds smart not paranoid. I work for docs that treat hearts and it is very common for dentists to call and get the OK to proceed. I used to be dead afraid of needles since I was 9 years old and the idiot doc tried to draw blood with a big bore IV needle. Lesson learned: Do not give doctors needles. Anyway around sixth grade I had an impacted tooth (molar I believe). It was uber painful. They gave me gas first then did the IV. They did the same when they pulled another bundle of teeth because I have a small mouth and three of my adult teeth never developed/existed. Same again for wisdom teeth. They had to start with laughing gas because I was in tears fearing the aftermath. I remember the nurse saying make a fist and thinking dude you are lucky I can even find my fist. Of course that means I woke up in the same emotional state I went down in and couldn't stop crying. A very sweet girl in the recovery bed across the room from me gave me a smile. I never forgot that smile nor the fact that she had to have a very sweet and empathetic heart to be in recovery from her own procedure and still spare a smile for a stranger having a hard time. Do whatever you have to do to feel comfortable. It is very brave and smart of you to get this taken care of to avoid much worse complications. Knowing what you want and sticking to that is equally as brave. I can't wait to see your new beautiful smile and will keep you in my thoughts.

Comment

Going to the dentist tomorrow at 12:30, I'm gonna see what she has to say and we're gonna go from there if I need anything done right away im gonna let her do it. I'm gonna need someone to go with me just in case I do so I'm gonna call my grandma, I tried telling jamie since she actually lives with me but naturally she told me no she won't have to go since I'm not gonna have anything done. I hope I don't freak out when I get there.
                            ......../\
                            ....../__\
                            ..../\...../\
                            ../__\../__\

Comment

so if you aren't doing implants what are you doing? regular dentures?
                              https://www.youtube.com/user/HedgeTV
                              Great YouTube channel check it out!

Comment

Working...
                              X