X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wow. Just absolutely wow.

What a week this has been!

I was unexpectedly swamped with freelance work, starting on Monday, when I did a job for a new client (and they were VERY pleased with the work I did, might I add).

More work came in, from existing and new clients. I've been going to my regular job, then coming home and doing the freelance assignments.

However, I was having a problem with my knee, which acts up every now and then. I had to see an orthopedist. This is not as straightforward as it sounds, because in order to see one, you have to have your regular doctor refer you. Which means having your regular doctor examine you, agree that you need an orthopedist, then print out a referral. Then, if you have my luck, you take said referral to the nearest orthopedic clinic, only to be told they don't have any time, despite the fact that your doctor said they'll take an urgent case without an appointment.

Then, if you're me, you go to a hospital, and finally see an orthopedist, who treats you and prescribes medication.

I limped out of there in a truly foul mood, bitter at healthcare workers in general, orthopedists who won't see urgent cases, and the 200-year-old (or so) entitlement whore who insisted on having my seat on the tram because he had a cane and I didn't.

Then, when I went home, the sisters who live in the room next to mine were stomping around the place, talking loudly, and smoking.

This morning, I left my room, only to be hit by the incredible stench of cigarette smoke. I then saw my very nice upstairs neighbor on the landing, lighting incense sticks. She told me she was going to ask the sisters to smoke outside. I told her I've had all I can take from them, and that I was looking for a new place.

So, this afternoon. First, I got an email, which I nearly deleted, and am I glad I didn't! It was an offer to buy the rights to an article I wrote a couple of years ago, and we're talking about an offer of more than $200.

Yes, I accepted it.

As I was coming home, I received a call. It was a real-estate agent who had made an appointment for me to see an apartment. She called at just the right time, too, because I was on the tram near the bus stop where I needed to catch the bus. I got off the tram, had lunch (since there was about an hour until I had to be there), then took the bus to the right stop.

The apartment. The rent includes all utilities, except wi-fi. Partially furnished, in a private house, no children in the house, no through traffic, up on a hill overlooking the city, and blissfully quiet. Plus, the landlady is willing to provide a washing machine and fridge, neither of which is there now.

So, I am now earning more money, with the potential (I hope) for further income from the party that wants the rights to my article, and I now have a place to move into in just a little more than three weeks!

That's wonderful!! I'm glad things are looking up!

Comment

Hooray!

Comment

Wow! What a great ending to a crappy week!

Comment

Yeah!

And after having posted so much doom and gloom in recent years, I wanted to share some good news! The process has already begun; I dragged boxes up here, and have filled one of them with stuff that I know I won't use between now and the time I move. It's also a good time to clean out, getting rid of what I don't need/want/use in order to lighten the moving load. I emailed a moving company yesterday to see if they'll be available March 1 (haven't heard back yet), and I'm looking around this small room, wondering what it's going to be like to live in an actual apartment again.

I'm going to miss the owners of this house very much, but I won't miss the sisters next door or Mr. OCD down the hall. And I just want my own space; my own kitchen, my own bathroom, and the ability to shut Kittycat out of my bedroom at night so she can romp around without keeping me awake. She must wonder what the hell is going on, with all these boxes around.

Comment

Quoth Eireann View Post
            She must wonder what the hell is going on, with all these boxes around.
            If I know cats, she is probably in heaven just now with all those places to hide.

Comment

Well, she's behind one right now, so that sort of counts.

In addition to the one box I've filled, I've been going through some of the stuff in the kitchen. I have a couple of shelves in the pantry that are full of my things, so I'm looking over everything to ascertain what I will/might use in the meantime, and what can be, if not packed, gathered together so it can be packed more easily later.

I haven't told the owners yet; they're away for the weekend. I'm trying to work out how to phrase it. I don't want to sound as if I think they're responsible for the sisters being impossible to live with. And I don't think that they're responsible; it's the sisters themselves who bear that responsibility, and they (the sisters, that is) don't give a shit.

At least the sisters are also gone for the weekend; they stomped all over their room, thundered downstairs, slammed doors, and took off at about 7:00 a.m. Gee, how thoughtful of them to announce their departure to the entire street. They would have woken me, had I not already been awake.

There are a lot of advantages to living here, but those two tipped the scales. I also realized that even if I could hold out until they leave (which will be the end of May), there are no guarantees that someone just as bad, or even worse, would move in. I'm not willing to take that chance. And like I said before, I want to have sole and exclusive use of the bathroom and kitchen, which is what I'll have soon.

A dishwasher would also be nice.

Comment

Quoth Mikkel View Post
                If I know cats, she is probably in heaven just now with all those places to hide.
                Or annoyed. Our previous cat, Felix, was NOT amused by the sight of moving boxes. He hated changes in routine or household arrangements, and he knew those boxes translated to BIG changes.
                "Crazy may always be open for business, but on the full moon, it has buy one get one free specials." - WishfulSpirit

"Sometimes customers remind me of zombies, but I'm pretty sure that zombies are smarter." - MelindaJoy77

Comment

Best of luck to you!
                  "Kamala the Ugandan Giant" 1950-2020 • "Bullet" Bob Armstrong 1939-2020 • "Road Warrior Animal" 1960-2020 • "Zeus" Tiny Lister Jr. 1958-2020 • "Hacksaw" Butch Reed 1954-2021 • "New Jack" Jerome Young 1963-2021 • "Mr. Wonderful" Paul Orndorff 1949-2021 • "Beautiful" Bobby Eaton 1958-2021 • Daffney 1975-2021

Comment

If the move will take a while to complete/is a long trip (cat will need to stay in a box while any strangers are there), consider asking yer doc for one or two mild sedative pills, as I've found cats often do not react well to that sort of thing and get stressed out; YMMV. If kitty gets the 'chill out but no going crazy first' reaction to eating catnip, that would work, too. Also -- and I know this works from experience -- consider snagging a Feliway vaporizer (plugs into the wall, lasts about a month). It'll send out a (undetectable to humans) kitty-friendly hormone in the new place, and your cat will be less likely to feel the need to spray/mark the place.
                    "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                    "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                    "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
                    "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                    "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                    "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
                    Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
                    "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Thanks for the advice!

Fortunately, it won't take long. I'm only moving to a different part of town. She's already made one move with me, and handled it like a pro. The place is a mess right now, with boxes and crap all over the place, but she's meditating on the bed. I've managed to get some stuff boxed up and put in an area where it'll be easier to move, and I'm slowly but surely making headway. Weird to be moving again. But oh, so welcome!

Comment

Well, I signed the contract and gave the owners the deposit yesterday. I'm still packing things up, and it's almost unbelievable how much stuff I have. I just got several boxes out of the garage, and found things I'd forgotten I had. I've held on to some boxes simply because my mom used them to send me presents over the years, and it fascinates me to look at the dates on the mailing labels, thinking of what I was doing and where I was living at the time. I have, at least, put some of these pieces of cardboard in the recycle bin.

Kittycat remains unfazed by the boxes in here, fortunately. She isn't even playing with them, as far as I can tell.

So, this is a good opportunity to get rid of those things I'm not going to use or want in the new place. I've already put aside several items of clothing, and I found a charity place that will take a rather large furniture donation. There's a theory that in order to bring good things into your life, it's a good idea to (literally and figuratively) make room for the new good by getting rid of the old that just doesn't serve you anymore.

Here's hoping!

Comment

Working...
                        X