Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Odd children's names (odd names of children, not names of odd children to clarify)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Odd children's names (odd names of children, not names of odd children to clarify)

Just started working as a supply in primary schools recently, and I've noticed that some of the names children have in this area are rather... unusual... or I'm just out of touch with youth culture (actually, I'm pretty sure of that last one, just not sure it's related). Either way, I thought I'd share some of them here.
    Heavan, Shayan (pronounced like Cheyenne), Atlanta and Kenzi.
    Probably more to come as time goes on.

You should see what some celebrities name their children here in the States...

Actress Gwynneth Paltrow named her daughter "Apple", I believe.

Penn Gillette's kids are named Pilot Inspektor and Moxie CrimeFighter.

Bruce Willis' Daughter is named Rumer.

State/City names here are also common. I've never heard "Atlanta" as a name, but I do know that some people use Austin, Dakota, Dallas, Brooklyn, and so forth.

Heck, Kim Kardashian's daughter is named "North". And since Kanye West is the father, the child is named "North West".

I've actually heard that names from the Twilight Series of books are starting to pop up...
    Skilled programmers aren't cheap. Cheap programmers aren't skilled.

Comment

Robin Williams' daughter is named Zelda (specifically after the game character, not Fitzgerald, apparently; the game's character WAS named after Fitzgerald, AFAIK).

Frank Zappa's daughter was born Moon Unit -- she eventually changed it to the much more "normal" (??) Moon.
      "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
      "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
      "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
      "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
      "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
      "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
      Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
      "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Mjr, you are wrong about the name of one of Penn Jillette's children. His sons name is Zoltan Penn Jillette. You did get Moxie right.
        Last edited by Victory Sabre; 04-17-2015, 06:24 PM.
        "Life is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid" Redd Foxx as Al Royal - The Royal Family - Pilot Episode - 1991.

Comment

Quoth Victory Sabre View Post
          Mjr, you are wrong about the name of one of Penn Jillette's children. His sons name is Zoltan Penn Jillette. You did get Moxie right.
          Ah, thank you for the correction!

I was thinking of Jason Lee...
          Skilled programmers aren't cheap. Cheap programmers aren't skilled.

Comment

I'm actually planning on naming my son Finnigan and my daughter Shellinda which I think are pretty normal, I'm not gonna do anything weird like that one chick who named her kid banjo.
            ......../\
            ....../__\
            ..../\...../\
            ../__\../__\

Comment

I named my daughter after a Batman character, though the first and middle names separated wouldn't be so odd.

And let's not forget about Michael Jackson's kids, Blanket and Prince Michael.
              The fact that jellyfish have survived for 650 million years despite not having brains gives hope to many people.

You would have to be incredibly dense for the world to revolve around you.

Comment

Quoth Aragarthiel View Post
                I named my daughter after a Batman character, though the first and middle names separated wouldn't be so odd.
                And little The Riddler loves you every day for having done so :P
                The Copyright Monster has made me tell you that my avatar is courtesy of the wonderful Alice XZ.And you don't want to annoy the Copyright Monster.

Comment

I believe she's a girl so I doubt Edward Nygma is the right one. Now I'm curious. Barbara Gordon? Helena Bertinelli? Kate Kane?

Oh wait, I think I know who it is...a naughty girl, but not the one who likes cats. Yes?

If we had a daughter she would have been named after an Amazon princess and a warrior saint, but as it is one boy is named after a writer, the other a character. Uncommon enough to invite comment but not so unusual as to invite ridicule. It's a fine line sometimes.

My mother taught a poor child named Brittanica (no, I don't know if she had a sister called Encyclopedia).

We met a boy named Braylin once, called 'Bray' or 'Bray-Bray' by his mother. I object to any name that uses the nickname 'Bray'. Braying is what donkeys do. I am aware there is a wrestler named Bray Wyatt, but his persona is that of a hillbilly cult leader, so...

My son's kindergarten class is sadly normal, though there is the inevitable Jayden.
                  https://www.facebook.com/authorpatriciacorrell/

Comment

It's almost as if some feeling don't WANT to be able to spell. Khrystal, Jaimee, Aleesha.
                    And some names just seem to scream I'm ghetto. LaAnything,DeAnything... You won't be finding many blonde blue-eyed white girl LaTisha or LaQuisha's around
                    The Copyright Monster has made me tell you that my avatar is courtesy of the wonderful Alice XZ.And you don't want to annoy the Copyright Monster.

Comment

Quoth AnaKhouri View Post
                      Oh wait, I think I know who it is...a naughty girl, but not the one who likes cats. Yes?
                      I'm pretty sure we're thinking of the same person.
                      The fact that jellyfish have survived for 650 million years despite not having brains gives hope to many people.

You would have to be incredibly dense for the world to revolve around you.

Comment

Quoth mjr View Post
                        You should see what some celebrities name their children here in the States...
                        *snip*
                        Bruce Willis' Daughter is named Rumer.

*snip*
                        And the other two are Scout and Tallulah!!
                        https://www.youtube.com/user/HedgeTV
                        Great YouTube channel check it out!

Comment

The ultimate test when mulling over children's names: Read your list aloud around any ten~thirteen-year-olds you happen to know, whether it's through work or school or being related, or whatever. If they laugh or get this "I'm gonna use that in a VERY wrong way" look in their eyes, don't use that name. ^_^ Remember, your kid will eventually pay the price for their clever moniker, as well as any corruption of it their future classmates can conceivably devise.

Wanna use the name anyway? Simple: Make it their middle name.
                          "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                          "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                          "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
                          "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                          "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                          "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
                          Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
                          "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

When you've chosen a name, read it out loud. See if anything leaps out that makes you go NO!NO!
                            Don't be like Mr and Mrs Peacock,who really wanted to call their son Drew and did not do this...

Comment

Hubs had a friend who named thier son "Aragorn". They called him gorny for short.

Lots of weird names up at the school. We have both female and male Payton, Cruz, Axel, Price, Cash, Ripley, Riker and Eloi.
                              https://purplefish-quilting.square.site/

Comment

Working...
                              X