This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dog Talk - Canine Stress Sickness

So last week and this week, Dad is down in OBX, vacationing. For three days (well, two days, three nights), I was down there with him, went home for two nights, then went up to the Lehigh Valley to enjoy me some Chikara Pro Wrestling with my friends.

Mom was supposed to come down the same day as Dad and I. Then she decided to push it back to Thursday so she could get in another doctor's appointment. Then she decided to push it back to Sunday because she wanted to get some more time in to "get stuff done" at home before leaving.

While I was in PA, Mom texted me that she was going to be pushing it back again to Tuesday, maybe, because the dog was sick. When I got home, Mocha-- our cuddleslut of a miniature poodle-- was VERY happy to see me, jumping all over the place and seeming in good health...

...though I did notice that she'd barfed all over the blanket we have draped over one of our sofas.

Mom explained that Mocha had been sick for the past couple of days, and that "she hasn't pooped in three days." Not when Mom took her out, not on the deck (which she has been known to do), but also not inside anywhere that she could find. (I confirmed she had not pooped anywhere upstairs.)

I suggested that Mocha was stress-sick. Mocha is smart, and when Mom's suitcase and other luggage things come up from the basement, she starts getting antsy and worried. That Dad had left and I'd been gone, while that luggage was inside and not down in the basement, clearly worried her. Mom didn't believe this.

Then yesterday we took her with us while we ran some errands. We took her to the park for walkies, and Mocha ... did her business at last. And she was much happier, back to her usual self, and Mom commented on it.

"I told you," I said, "it was stress."
    PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Yup. My wife is away visiting family until Sunday, and the dog that has claimed her as his person is definitely feeling it - spends 95% of the time staring at the door, doesn't run around like an insane mutt as much.

When I pick her up from the airport, I'm going to bring her home, have her wait outside, then take the pups out in the back yard. Then they come in, and BOOM, there's momma!

Comment

Working...
    X