This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My Shitty Basement

I pride myself on not cursing, and I am not. I am accurately describing my basement and the sewage backing up into it. I will have fun coming up with ways to describe the dung piles.

First some background. I bought this house last December.

Last spring, the plumber came by to see if my sewer was backing up. It was not, fortunately. Then later my neighbor mentioned that he had an arrangement with the old owner where they split the plumbing bill 3 ways when the pipes backed up. Also, the plumber only charged for the 1 visit instead of 3. I was mowing the lawn, so I had some time to think it over.

At first, I thought *well, it did not back up into my house. how bad could it be?*
    But, thinking about it some more *then again, if they set up this arrangement, it must happen on a simi-routine basis. I do want to stay on his good side and he could use the help, I'm sure.* (side: we have a strange property line, though the middle of our garage. also, he has a medical condition where he is wheelchair bound and has a medical aid with him at all times) I like to think I am a good person by nature, so I agreed to this arrangement. Heck, at the very least I would save some money if it only backed up into mine 50% of the time.

This fall, it backed up twice in the last month. Leaving a good amount of human fecal matter in the basement. I paid $120 between the 3 visits, saving a lot of time and money. Yep, really good call on agreeing to splitting the bill.

Apparently, the problem started several years ago, but only happened once a year. Last year it happen twice. Then this year

Understand, these houses were built back in the 1940s. Iron was in short supply because of the war effort. They used Orangeburg pipe (good article). It is essentially, Tar and Paper (impregnated wood fiber technically). Good pipe, lasted 60+ years.

Sadly, the tree in my yard crushes the pipe every time the roots decide to grow (like spring and fall). It just loves all that tasty human fertilizer. So the pipes need replacing, sooner rather than later. (I am tired of cleaning my own excrement)

This is going to get rather expensive. Fortunately, my still awesome neighbors wants to split the bill. So instead of the piping guys coming out 3 times, they come once. The low end estimate is $2000 (I never plan low end, problems come up. I plan $5000 to be safe).

My bank will extend my house loan to cover the cost, because no one wants a house with a basement full of feculence. (God bless the thesaurus, I was running out ) So I know I have the cost covered, at least.

So today, the sewage pipe is clear, for now. Hopefully, we can get the new line put in by spring (when tree roots start growing again). And I bet you did not expect a thread to unironically link to a website about Sewer History. (though you are less surprised by the thesaurus link about poo. Really fun time looking this one up. )

One last tiny note to end things.
    DO NOT UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES MIX BLEACH AND PINE SOL.
    This will produce chloroform, which is dangourous and will poison you. I knew this before hand (because I have the superpower of reading labels and passing high school science ), but I had to stop a "helpful" friend. Acid+Bleach=Poison gas.
    I might be crazy, but I'm not Insane.

What? You don't play with flamethrowers on the weekends? You are strange.

Regarding the tap roots from that tree -- Would it be feasible (and legal, in your area) to have the roots just from the area near the pipe trimmed back, or somehow re-routed, by a professional? I mean, as long as they have to dig up the yard anyway Alternatively, maybe they could re-route the pipe itself as far away from the root system as possible.
    "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
    "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
    "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
    "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
    "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
    "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
    Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
    "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Only 5k for a major repair? It might not be much consolation, but I think that's pretty good. And yeah, reading labels is the greatest underrated super power out there. Right behind common sense.

Comment

Quoth Aria View Post
        reading labels is the greatest underrated super power out there. Right behind common sense.
        If I had room in my .sig, I'd steal this.
        "Crazy may always be open for business, but on the full moon, it has buy one get one free specials." - WishfulSpirit

"Sometimes customers remind me of zombies, but I'm pretty sure that zombies are smarter." - MelindaJoy77

Comment

Seanette - You should be able to put either 4 or 10 lines in a sig (if a line wraps, it counts as an additional line). Try editing it and hit preview -- the system will tell you if you're over the limit. The one I have counts as "10," as they all wrap on the Edit screen. One "line" is roughly the length of the "WTF" quote below, minus the attribution.
          "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
          "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
          "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
          "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
          "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)

Comment

I've tried, and hit a 200-character limit.
            "Crazy may always be open for business, but on the full moon, it has buy one get one free specials." - WishfulSpirit

"Sometimes customers remind me of zombies, but I'm pretty sure that zombies are smarter." - MelindaJoy77

Comment

Quoth Gilhelmi View Post
              One last tiny note to end things.
              DO NOT UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES MIX BLEACH AND PINE SOLANYTHING ALKALINE.
              This will produce chloroformchlorine, which is dangourous and will poison you. I knew this before hand (because I have the superpower of reading labels and passing high school science ), but I had to stop a "helpful" friend. AcidAlkali+Bleach=Poison gas.
              Fixed that for you. In a crime drama, where the bad guy slaps a rag over someone's face to knock them out, that's chloroform. Chlorine is the lung-burning gas used in WW1. Also, it's alkali rather than acid which will liberate the chlorine in bleach.
              Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

How about we just say "Don't mix bleach with anything but water," then, mkaaay?

Comment

Quoth wolfie View Post
                  Fixed that for you. In a crime drama, where the bad guy slaps a rag over someone's face to knock them out, that's chloroform. Chlorine is the lung-burning gas used in WW1. Also, it's alkali rather than acid which will liberate the chlorine in bleach.
                  Actually what gets evolved depends a lot on what you mix it with. And for *some* of the mixes, chlorine is one of the more *harmless* byproducts!

The classic "bleach + ammonia" doesn't produce much (if any) chlorine. Not like mixing certain pool chemicals I could name.

But I once made the mistake of going with a "reaction" mentioned in a college chemistry text, without working out the full reaction myself.

Typical "example" reaction: X + Y yields Z they don't mention quantities and more importantly don't mention side products.

The reaction was for hydrazine (which is nasty stuff, nastier than I realized at the time). And it basicly amounted to mixing ammonia and bleach.

Comment

Well this post was craptastic. Hope you can get out of this shitty situation.

Comment

I am most disappointed. Only one person making crappy puns.

Why you no puns?

In other new, the bank is having me "reapply" for a new home loan. So I have to wait until I find out how much things are going to cost before I can get the money to pay for it. That is more annoying than I wanted, but I wont have a skunky smelling basement, so I do not care.
                      I might be crazy, but I'm not Insane.

What? You don't play with flamethrowers on the weekends? You are strange.

Comment

*takes a bow* I'm here for you....lol

Comment

Working...
                        X