This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Well, that sucks.

Right now, I'm in my first semester of college working on an associate's in web design. In my last semester I'm supposed to be eligible for an internship, and before I registered for my first semester of classes I went ahead and figured out what order I'd take my classes in.

Yesterday, I got an email stating that there are classes you have to complete BEFORE you can be considered for the internship. The school's site says nothing about requirements beyond "Adviser Approval," so this was a bit of a shock to me. I went back over my schedule, arranged it, re-arranged it, and discovered that I can't possibly get all of the internship's prerequisites in on time without dropping at least one semester down to 11 credit hours. Why is this bad?

I'm going through college entirely on financial aid. Financial aid requires me to maintain full-time student status. 12 credit hours or more per semester makes you full-time, so I'd lose my financial aid if I try to go for the internship.

All this because I happened to take the wrong set of classes this semester. I wanted to take my core classes first (English, Math, and the like) and that was apparently not the best choice.

My last chance is if the financial aid office at the college can work something out, I'm waiting on them to email me back.
    The fact that jellyfish have survived for 650 million years despite not having brains gives hope to many people.

You would have to be incredibly dense for the world to revolve around you.

If there's an individual in charge of the internship program you might also try contacting them, see if there's any provision for approving taking one or more of the pre-req classes concurrently with the actual internship. Failing that, with your rearranged schedule is it possible to fill in with some fluff elective (if there's not something you're specifically interested in or related to your degree field) to maintain full time status?
    You're only delaying the inevitable, you run at your own expense. The repo man gets paid to chase you. ~Argabarga

Comment

I'm not sure if financial aid will pay for classes that I'm not required to take, but that was part of my email to the financial aid office. If I can't do that, I might have the option of taking my part-time semester as my last, so I have the opportunity to save up for the tuition for that semester. I'm still waiting to hear back from the financial aid office though.
      The fact that jellyfish have survived for 650 million years despite not having brains gives hope to many people.

Comment

Quoth Aragarthiel View Post
        I'm not sure if financial aid will pay for classes that I'm not required to take, but that was part of my email to the financial aid office.
        I'm pretty sure Financial Aid *does* cover a certain number of elective courses, but you'll find out soon enough.

Comment

Okay, so I just got an email from the financial aid office. If I take the 11-hour semester, I won't lose my financial aid completely like I thought. In fact, it'll only take a small cut, and I'll still end up receiving almost twice as much in financial aid as I need. It won't, however, cover classes outside my field of study. I'm meeting with my adviser on Wednesday to see about possibly adding another class in my field of study for that last semester, but I'm not too worried about it now.

Comment

I've got a really good update.

After talking with the financial aid office, I discovered that if I take the 11-hour semester, my financial aid won't be cut completely. In fact, after some number crunching, I'll have more than twice as much as what I need for tuition, so books and stuff are covered too. This gives me the all-clear to try for the internship.

On that note, I went over to the campus to talk to my adviser (who is also in charge of the college's internship program). I had stayed up all night configuring the order of my classes so that my 11-hour semester would be my last, and she was incredibly impressed by how prepared I was. I registered for next semester, then I told her I was interested in trying for the internship. I won't be able to until Spring 2017, but she told me that I'm a very good candidate and showed me the website of a place she said I'd be perfect at. Apparently, this company had fired an intern for the first time ever in the history of the internship program at my college* because he was incredibly unprepared to be there, and the fact that I was so prepared for something as small as registration for classes proved to her that the company would like me. She knows the owners personally and told me that when I get to that point, I can come to her and she'll set me up with them directly. There's also a very good chance of this internship turning into a full-time job, and the way my adviser makes it sound, I'm pretty much guaranteed the internship position already. So yay!

*this student was the reason I hadn't heard about internship requirements, they were only implemented this semester because of him.

Comment

Working...
            X