This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Today I learned...

Today I learned the hard way that you should ALWAYS maintain the timing on your vehicle on schedule. What would have been a $500 maintenance issue that we kept putting off due to inconvenience, has now turned into an even MORE inconvenient $5000+ engine replacement and at least a week-long car rental, probably extending another half a week. Apparently the engine jumped time, bent some valves, and burned up ALL the oil inside (thus ruining the entire engine) before I even got any sort of idiot warning lights/messages on my dash. I'm going ahead with the replacement instead of buying a new/used car because the car has no other issues and I know its history; there's no telling what fresh new problems would crop up on another car.

At least the new engine will be under warranty for 3 years? And I'm getting some outstanding recalls fixed as well.

And I guarantee you I will never delay timing maintenance again.

So what have you learned today, for better or for worse?

That 100+ tabs open across three windows in Google Chrome can in fact take up nearly all of my RAM.

But there's just so many shiny things!

edit: Sorry about your car.
    Last edited by RootedPhoenix; 11-03-2015, 11:42 PM.
    1129. I will refrain from casting Dimension Jump and Magnificent Mansion on every police box we pass.
    -----
    http://orchidcolors.livejournal.com (A blog about everything and nothing)

Comment

That once you discuss Pokemon with someone enough an irresistible urge to play the games comes over them.

I've done this twice in the past month.

An engine replacement for $5000? Wow, Hubs is expecting to pay no more than $500 for an engine for his truck, once we can find one.
      The fact that jellyfish have survived for 650 million years despite not having brains gives hope to many people.

You would have to be incredibly dense for the world to revolve around you.

Comment

I see you found out the hard way that a timing belt is good for roughly 1/10 of a second less than the life of the engine.

Quoth Aragarthiel View Post
        An engine replacement for $5000? Wow, Hubs is expecting to pay no more than $500 for an engine for his truck, once we can find one.
        The price of an engine replacement depends on a lot of things. Is it "As-is, you pull it" at a salvage yard (sounds like what your husband is looking at), or is it a new (or rebuilt by the original manufacturer) engine complete with installation (sounds like what OP's quote is for)? You think $5000 is a lot for an engine? Try $50,000 - what my new engine cost (factory rebuilt, including installation). 15 litre CATs ain't cheap.
        Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Yes, it's brand-new, dealership-installed, with 3-year warranty. As they didn't notice any other major problems, this means my car probably now has at least another ten years of life in it. A bargain for $5k, in my opinion.

Comment

Some good news (unrelated to car)! Yesterday I learned that my grade in biology is high enough that I don't have to worry about studying for the rest of the quarter, as my professor drops the lowest quiz and test grade. I don't even have to show up for the final if I don't want to. I'm still going to class and taking notes, as my major and minor are both biology-related, but this means the only thing I have to really pay attention to this quarter is chemistry, as my only other class comes very easily to me.

Comment

Working...
            X