Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This happened today outside of York, result of Tree v Train guess which won No injuries as far as I know. (It was parked on Platform 2 after recovery for a bit at York Station and one of the clean up crew posted a picture on twitter.)
    Attached Files
    Final Fantasy XIV - Acorna Starfall - Ragnarok (EU Legacy)

Comment

Eh, that'll buff out.

Comment

Checking in with our CSers up in t' north swimming through t'raging becks that wert Yorkshire before Storm Frank arrived. Keep glugging and stay safe.
        The Copyright Monster has made me tell you that my avatar is courtesy of the wonderful Alice XZ.And you don't want to annoy the Copyright Monster.

Comment

Quoth Chromatix View Post
          Eh, that'll buff out.
          *snicker*

I have more than enough experience with storms. We weathered the tail end of a hurricane on our yawl back in the 60s - it blew us from the harborage in Rochester NY to Kingston Canada. Living in festive western NY in the so called 'Buffalo Weather Belt' 3 meters of snow on the ground wasn't that unusual in the 60s and 70s - it was one of the minor ice ages that mellowed out in the late 80s, 90s and 00s that is gently changing back to the colder end of our spectrum. When living in Virginia in the 80s, I went through more than one hurricane [weathering out one in a tent in Williamsburg while working a nuke contract.] More recently we have had several notable lengthy power outages resulting from storm damage here in Connecticut as well - enough so that we have a generator for the farm. And when we went on a cruise with Royal Caribbean a few years back, we departed in Feb from New Jersey and our first evening was spent chugging through a class 1 hurricane. I didn't find any issue with the rolling 40 foot waves, other than a bit of unsteadiness being on crutches, but I don't get motion sick, I like rough seas =)

Honestly? I rather love blizzards as we are generally fully stocked with food makings, and previously with the bakers wood stove, cooking was not an issue. Not so fond of rain storms though I do love a cracking good thunder and lightning storm - I love the sound and light show! Both our mothers come from the depression era farm families so we have a different view of 'bad weather preparation' that doesn't involve milk and bread ... it is more like dried and canned goods [well, ok - dehydrated full fat milk for cooking rather than drinking] and stuff that won't need refrigeration. I have no idea what is going through the minds of people who go and buy 2 or 3 gallons of milk, and all sorts of stuff that will need refrigeration and then whinge about it spoiling when there is no electricity. *sigh*
          EVE Online: 99% of the time you sit around waiting for something to happen, but that 1% of action is what hooks people like crack, you don't get interviewed by the BBC for a WoW raid.

Comment

Quoth AccountingDrone View Post
            We weathered the tail end of a hurricane on our yawl back in the 60s - it blew us from the harborage in Rochester NY to Kingston Canada.
            I hope the Customs people were understanding about your unintentional border crossing.
            Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Quoth wolfie View Post
              I hope the Customs people were understanding about your unintentional border crossing.
              That was back when you checked in when you got there. They were more worried that everybody was dead, we were all below decks asleep.

Reminds me, we need to cruise the Mystic Whaler again I need a few days at sea, last time they went out and it was a bit rough and other than the crew I was the only one wandering around looking for food. Why yes, I am the sort to offer someone a bit green around the gills boiled bacon and runny eggs
              EVE Online: 99% of the time you sit around waiting for something to happen, but that 1% of action is what hooks people like crack, you don't get interviewed by the BBC for a WoW raid.

Comment

Quoth AccountingDrone View Post
                we have a different view of 'bad weather preparation' that doesn't involve milk and bread ... it is more like dried and canned goods [well, ok - dehydrated full fat milk for cooking rather than drinking] and stuff that won't need refrigeration.
                Hear hear. Growing up (rural NY), "bad weather prep" only involved milk or eggs when we were expecting heavy winter snows, because in that case even if the power went out we still had the "backup fridge" in the form of the huge snowdrift outside the back door. That also doubled as fridge for Christmas and New Year's food, because we'd always have more leftover than could fit in our single fridge. But for summer thunderstorms? Non-perishables all the way. That and our water storage so we could not only drink but flush the toilet (the house's water was a small well with electric pump, so the toilets wouldn't work when the power went out and you had to flush them manually by pouring water into the bowl).
                "Enough expository banter. It's time we fight like men. And ladies. And ladies who dress like men. For Gilgamesh...IT'S MORPHING TIME!"
                - Gilgamesh, Final Fantasy V

Comment

Working...
                X