Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

In my frozen central MN area we have a road that is known by several names. From west to east, they are

Highway 23/2nd st S
    2nd St S/ County Road 75
    Roosevelt Road/ County 75
    County Road 75

The real stange thing is if you go 2 blocks south on the 2nd st./CR 75 portion, you'll hit 14th st S.
    "Life is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid" Redd Foxx as Al Royal - The Royal Family - Pilot Episode - 1991.

Comment

What screws up newcomers to St. John's is how messed up the roads are here. I'm not just talking about the constant need for pothole repair either. Y'see, the city burnt down more than once and was rebuilt. And when it was rebuilt it seemed to start from two separate points along the harbour...a curved harbour, no less. So we have roads criss-crossing all over the place where it does not make much sense. There are one-way streets all over the place as well, including one that was only fairly recently either just turned into a one-way street or had its one-way direction changed...talk about a clusterf--k right there. And it probably doesn't help that many of us give directions using landmarks (that may or may not still be standing) or the old names for buildings or streets (including building names that now belong to a new building...such as the Janeway).

I constantly hear tourists bitch about how the streets here make no sense, and I can see their point. But we didn't have the opportunity to be fully planned out by a city engineer when the rebuilding was going on. Besides, part of the city's charm comes from the odd little streets and how some of them meander a bit. Heck, even the street I live on is one of those odd little streets - it looks like a back alley and used to have a few different names years back, one of which was Rock Lane. The only place in the city where you will find straight streets and avenues is in the new development areas, but downtown you don't have a hope in Hades of finding that.

Boring we're not!

Comment

And then there's just remarkably unimaginative,so you have to be 100% certain you have the right address...or else...
        The Copyright Monster has made me tell you that my avatar is courtesy of the wonderful Alice XZ.And you don't want to annoy the Copyright Monster.

Comment

Now my brain hurts. Thanks, Kit.
          "Enough expository banter. It's time we fight like men. And ladies. And ladies who dress like men. For Gilgamesh...IT'S MORPHING TIME!"
          - Gilgamesh, Final Fantasy V

Comment

Quoth Jester View Post
            Oh, I'm familiar with how the grid works in Phoenix, and for people like you and me, it's really not that tough. But not everyone has as easy a time as we do. The trouble I allude to with such navigation all comes from stories my mother and others with her directional disability have told me. And if you're new to Phoenix, it can be just confusing as hell, especially if you don't know about the Streets and Avenues.
            Craziest thing is the level of detail the grid is designed to, have you ever seen the street type chart in the back of the map book? On the west side as you move from say 7th Ave to 8th Ave it goes Ave, Dr, Ln and so on, down to something like 8 - 10 street types total.

Buckeye as i alluded to is even worse, the main drag (Buckeye Rd IIRC) runs east-west, then north-south for like a quarter mile maybe, then returns to an east-west direction. Anything built before a certain point is numbered on the old city grid, all the new stuff is on the county grid. The city grid ignores the fact that the road goes north-south, while the county grid doesn't. This means you can have something like 23 W Buckeye Rd next to 7740 W Buckeye Rd. Yeah, i had to cover a magazine route over there that always had fill issues, i wonder why...

Quoth KuariKaydrith View Post
            What screws up newcomers to St. John's is how messed up the roads are here. I'm not just talking about the constant need for pothole repair either. Y'see, the city burnt down more than once and was rebuilt. And when it was rebuilt it seemed to start from two separate points along the harbour...a curved harbour, no less. So we have roads criss-crossing all over the place where it does not make much sense.

Boring we're not!
            St Louis is similar, but for a different reason. Bring it up on Google Maps, and see if you can figure out where the original Mississippi crossing was...
            Last edited by Javarod; 12-24-2015, 01:44 AM. Reason: Added more
            Seph
            Taur10
            "You're supposed to be the head of covert intelligence. Right now, I'm not seeing a hell of a lot of intelligence. Covert, overt, or otherwise!"-Lochley, B5, A View from the Gallery

Comment

Quoth Javarod View Post
              St Louis is similar, but for a different reason. Bring it up on Google Maps, and see if you can figure out where the original Mississippi crossing was...
              You mean like Laclede's Landing (the 6 block area near the Eads Bridge of nothing but food places and nightclubs) vs. the "real Laclede's Landing spot around the mouth of the conjunction of the Miss. and Missouri rivers.

OR

If memory serves 7th street and Broadway winding around each other as they go south from Downtown????
              I'm lost without a paddle and headed up SH*T creek.
              -- Life Sucks Then You Die.

"I'll believe corp. are people when Texas executes one."

Comment

I grew up in a neighborhood with street names along a similar scheme. A few years ago they went through and renamed everything because it was confusing visitors.
                Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

Comment

You are in a maze of little twisty passages... Each street can only be identified by the unique wart on its ass.
                  I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
                  Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
                  Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Quoth Racket_Man View Post
                    You mean like Laclede's Landing (the 6 block area near the Eads Bridge of nothing but food places and nightclubs) vs. the "real Laclede's Landing spot around the mouth of the conjunction of the Miss. and Missouri rivers.

OR

If memory serves 7th street and Broadway winding around each other as they go south from Downtown????
                    While its not as pronounced as i recall, you can see from this map how you start with the original core city which is well gridded, but sitting a bit crooked, and then fans out as you go west into farm country. And that's not counting the independent settlements that became part of the city but of course had their own grid design.

Last edited by protege; 12-25-2015, 03:16 PM.
                    Seph
                    Taur10
                    "You're supposed to be the head of covert intelligence. Right now, I'm not seeing a hell of a lot of intelligence. Covert, overt, or otherwise!"-Lochley, B5, A View from the Gallery

Comment

Town line signs in Maine go like this:

I've met a few people who think that's weird.

There are a mind-blowing number of private roads in this state, mostly little dirt trails heading up to someone's summer home. When E911 became a thing, all these roads needed names, and all their owners were required to name them. There are an ample variety of wiseass names like "Keepa Way" (friendly sort, I'm sure), and they're differentiated from their public cousins by the fact that the signs are blue.

And out in the willywags where these signs don't get replaced as often, you can still see street signs in white.

Comment

A: Where's yer house at, exactly?

B: I live at Cross Flats and Wooler. You can't miss it.

A: I hate you.
                        "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                        "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                        "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
                        "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                        "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                        "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
                        Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
                        "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Got to go to Plymouth yesterday,and some of the signs in the very old part of town round Barbican are super-they've done them mediaeval style to reflect the activities-Friars'Ope has little crosses,Basket Ope has little baskets-

This is from the ropemaking part of town
                          The Copyright Monster has made me tell you that my avatar is courtesy of the wonderful Alice XZ.And you don't want to annoy the Copyright Monster.

Comment

Working...
                          X