X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fire season has started

Fire season has started in Australia.

There's a fire close enough to me to be watched, but not close enough to evacuate. Wish my family luck.

EDIT TO UPDATE: the local fire is not yet out, but well contained and the fire service expects no trouble putting it out. There's a nasty one south of Ballarat, but that's a long way from me (as fires go). Good luck to those near there, however.
    Last edited by Seshat; 12-19-2015, 04:52 AM.
    Seshat's self-help guide:
    1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
    2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
    3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
    4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Stay safe!
    When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

I have the 'Fires Near Me' app, it works for NSW and ACT fires... probably not much use for you but there might be a local one you could find?

(And yes, good luck. I've been twitchy as heck every summer since the 2003 bushfire season proved that Canberra can so get hit...)

Comment

Oh, me too. I'm in the suburbs outside Melbourne, in the equivalent kind of area to the suburbs of Canberra that got hit in 2003.

And yes, CFA Vic and the Melbourne Metropolitan Fire Service have a comparable suite of alerting systems; Toth and Bast are subscribed to the ones they prefer. I keep http://emergency.vic.gov.au/ in my website tabs.

I also have a permanently-charged emergency radio right where I can put my hands on it; and tuned to the Melbourne ABC AM radio emergency frequency. It's also a torch, and it's got a hand-crank charger.
        Seshat's self-help guide:
        1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
        2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
        3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
        4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

I'm just outside Melbourne, in a town that became the relief hub in the days after black Saturday. I have the CFA app on my phone.

After loosing everything after said fire, I still get twitchy every summer.

Comment

...oh hey, Fires Near Me does work for Victoria (and Tasmania too!), whaddayaknow...

*ahem* good to know! I just got a car a little over a week ago and am planning the emergency kit that I'm going to keep in the boot, I hadn't thought of a radio but that's going on the list. (The emergency frequency up here is 666 AM, which is easy to remember and amuses me far more than it should.)

Comment

Working...
            X