This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Snowmageddon 2015 LONG story

So we got smacked yesterday. First they said up to 6 inches but we got over a foot, I think. I had a chance to leave work about 3:45 but I wanted to go shopping since I didn't want to go home and come back. I wouldn't have been able to. I went to catch the bus around 6:45 and there were a few inches. We got stuck kind of in a ditch, not a deep one, but just a curve in the road by the curb. Our roads are made that way because of snow. All the other passengers got on a downtown bus, but I didn't because that would probably mean being stranded even further from home. A new bus came and we had to go back to the mall to start over again. OK, whatever.

Well, we got as far as the shopping center across the road, which leads into the mall area. We got stuck there because there was a car stopped. At this point I was texting friends because the cab company's line was busy. The plan at this point was to try to tow the bus backward. OK, I have a fear of accidents and head injuries and I was feeling uneasy about the bus sliding all over. I got off and went to a restaurant that was right next to us because my friend said she would come get me. I hung out there and then decided to meet friend at the intersection because the actual roads were a bit better than the parking lots. I went out there and was soaked and pelted. My phone was dying and another friend trying to call me. I finally got in the car and broke down crying, wishing I'd just walked because I realized friend was taking a risk for me.

Then she told me not to cry because she had to go the next town over to get another friend from work anyway. The two ladies' boys were at home waiting for first friend's hubs to get home, which he should soon. Turned out later he'd gotten stuck and had to walk. The boys were alone the whole time we were out.

Anyway, we got stuck more than once and the freeway ride was scary. When she dropped me off at 10:15 I told her to let me out on the main street; she would get stuck in my apt parking lot. I told her to let me know when she got home and then proceeded to be on pins and needles for an hour and a half before I called her. Her hubs was there sans car and she was stuck in her parking lot. Other friend didn't get a ride home from there. She had to walk home.

So I was looking at the weather while waiting for that phonecall and found that the F4 tornado hit Garland, TX. My friend lives there. Now I was worried. I got a text from her this morning that she and her hubs were in Dallas and on the way home to check damage. So she's ok, but I don't know if she has a house anymore.

I'm emotionally exhausted. Mild weather up until yesterday and then we got all the missing snow in one day. It snowed for maybe 12 hours. I hope Irv, Racketman, Becks, Bella, and the rest of the WI people are ok.
    "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Really - this has been the damnedest winter in a long time - blasted El Nino! We had all of an inch of slushy snow overnight here in Connecticut so it wasn't too bad here. I looked at the weather map on a local channel and say the line of bad weather for the east coast was running north-south along the appalachian mountain line =hm the weather gods are hiking the appalachan trail? giggle]
    EVE Online: 99% of the time you sit around waiting for something to happen, but that 1% of action is what hooks people like crack, you don't get interviewed by the BBC for a WoW raid.

Comment

Wow! You really got it bad there. We were supposed to get some snow here in central MN, but got nothing. My sister and her family live in southern MN, and I think she said they got 6 inches. The only good thing is my brother in law does towing, and auto repair, so he was very busy yesterday.
      "Life is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid" Redd Foxx as Al Royal - The Royal Family - Pilot Episode - 1991.

Comment

Snow comparison around the world...

Click image for larger version

Name:	snow comparison.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	148.9 KB
ID:	2030629
        Skilled programmers aren't cheap. Cheap programmers aren't skilled.

Comment

I just LOL at the Canadian one. What flag is the third? A scandinavian country?

Comment

Quoth Food Lady View Post
            I just LOL at the Canadian one. What flag is the third? A scandinavian country?
            Russia, I believe.
            Skilled programmers aren't cheap. Cheap programmers aren't skilled.

Comment

Ohhhh...yeah. Russia to the rest of the world: "That's cute."

Comment

We haven't slipped low enough for snow in my area. We had a 72 degree Christmas. A little snow would have been nice.

So, uh... >_>
                Last edited by Tama; 12-29-2015, 09:50 PM.
                My Guide to Oblivion

"I resent the implication that I've gone mad, Sprocket."

Comment

You can have it, Tama. We almost got T-boned last night, and the other car would've hit the passenger side where I was. But I get you; it didn't feel like Christmas this year. I bet next year we get snow in October.

Comment

Quoth Food Lady View Post
                    Ohhhh...yeah. Russia to the rest of the world: "That's cute."
                    We say that here, too. We've had 7 ft of snow at times. This month, though, the first noticeable snow we had all month fell today, and it's mostly gone already because the temps are going back into the 40's. People are still running around in shorts and flip flops (of course, we have crazy people here who do that in 12 ft of snow, too, so that's no way to judge )

I feel bad for those who get the bad side of El Nino. It's the reason we've had a mild winter so far, but our last two were positively hideous, so I feel like we needed a break anyway.

Glad you got home safely, Food Lady!
                    When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Quoth mjr View Post
                      Russia, I believe.
                      Didn't you know? In Russia winter is part of the military establishment.
                      "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

Yep, General Winter stomped on both of the former-corporals-turned-head-of-state who tried to invade Russia.
                        Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

YEAH it was REAL fun doing pizza delivery last night. NOT
                          I'm lost without a paddle and headed up SH*T creek.
                          -- Life Sucks Then You Die.

"I'll believe corp. are people when Texas executes one."

Comment

Eesh...We had one of those 72-degree XMAS's...the temp just decided to drop to "Winter normal" (lows near freezing) about 30 hours ago. What we ARE having fun with is flooding (north MS) -- two or three barges are currently stuck, having slammed into the local lock & dam. In one of our usual weather oddities for this town, the recent "Oh God, Oh God, we're all gonna die" storms and accompanying tornadoes just kinda went around us, save for a couple days of heavy rain. (cookies for reference, as always)

http://www.cdispatch.com/news/article.asp?aid=47187

The fun part is -- The heavy rains are what caused the fully-loaded barges to break loose and float downriver in the first place; their presence is causing the river level to rise on the "reservoir"/high side of the damn; the barges are now partially sunk, and they're too damn heavy to remove until the water goes DOWN. o_O Their presence also makes water travel (commercial or otherwise) along the major regional waterway impossible.
                            Last edited by EricKei; 12-30-2015, 10:29 AM.
                            "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                            "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                            "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
                            "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                            "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                            "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
                            Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
                            "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

I unofficially measured 13.5 inches. It was nasty stuff too. It went from light, powdery snow, to sleet, to wet, heavy snow. Impossible to drive in and difficult to clean up. And the city took its sweet time getting the plows out.

Hard to believe I was in flip flops and sandals earlier this month.
                              Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

Working...
                              X