Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Duck Season! Rabbit Season! Fire Season!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Duck Season! Rabbit Season! Fire Season!

Checking on our Aussie members up the Otway Ranges way....
    Seshat's self-help guide:
    1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
    2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
    3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
    4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Considering where the OP lives, I'm surprised that there is a rabbit season. I'd have thought it would be open season with no bag limit.
    Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

I'm sure that the rabbits are probably as big as VW Beetles there.
      Eh, one day I'll have something useful here. Until then, have a cookie or two.

Comment

Quoth Android Kaeli View Post
        I'm sure that the rabbits are probably as big as VW Beetles there.
        With huge fangs
        When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Nope, it's just the native species (like Drop Bears) that are deadly. The rabbits in Australia are the cute, cuddly bunnies you're used to - they're an invasive introduced species, with no natural predators, and they breed like ... rabbits.
          Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Considering Australia's status as a DeathWorld, and that continent's tendency to have the deadliest of anything, including golf course water hazards, I trust the Aussies present will forgive the rest of us for wondering about the bunnies.
            "Crazy may always be open for business, but on the full moon, it has buy one get one free specials." - WishfulSpirit

"Sometimes customers remind me of zombies, but I'm pretty sure that zombies are smarter." - MelindaJoy77

Comment

Quoth wolfie View Post
              ... The rabbits in Australia are the cute, cuddly bunnies you're used to ...
              Right... How long can you tread (not) water?

The hat-rabbit in Twilight Zone was pulled from Australia.

(True, cuz it's on the Internet!)
              I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
              Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
              Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

OP is quite amused.

What OP does NOT find amusing is the fact that New Year's Eve is a total fire ban day - and I can already hear people testing their unlicenced (and possibly illegal) fireworks.

(No, it's not automatically a total fire ban day - but it's been dry and it's hot and there's enough wind for ember attacks and .....)

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

Quoth Seshat View Post
                  OP is quite amused.

What OP does NOT find amusing is the fact that New Year's Eve is a total fire ban day - and I can already hear people testing their unlicenced (and possibly illegal) fireworks.

(No, it's not automatically a total fire ban day - but it's been dry and it's hot and there's enough wind for ember attacks and .....)
                  We not only had people setting off fireworks but said fireworks set off a small fire in a local park. It was the same story all across the northern suburbs.

Comment

Five minutes after hearing all the fireworks going off, I heard fire trucks going by. The grass is tall brittle and brown, let's set the fireworks off there

Comment

I was just down the road on Christmas day. For those playing in Oz, the town was an evacuation point.

Every time there was the beep beep beeeep proceeding the fire warnings, the whole house went quiet, even the kids.

But I can only praise our fireries because, while a lot of houses were lost, no human lives were. Part of that was because of early warning systems across all radios, alerts sent to phones and people taking the advice not to go to their holiday homes. I'm just glad we have learnt our lessons from Black Saturday in 2009.

As of 11:50pm on 6/1/16, the fire is still burning and they are still working on containment lines. The basically means back burning, water bombing with helicopters, trucks getting in as close as possible. And I'm pretty sure a large number of residents of the area will be doing rain dances.

And yes, there will always be &%E&%^%$%$'s that just have to have fireworks on total fire ban days. But fuck, they are fun to spray with a super soaker after taking photos of all their cars and faces.
                      A good bookshop is just a genteel Black Hole that knows how to read. - Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!

Comment

Blue Ginger: I am very glad that you and your folks are fine. I'm also very proud of you and your kids - your kids for understanding how important the beeps are, and you and your kids' other adults for teaching them that.

I sent a 'thank you' to the CFA Vic (via their website) for their service, after they watched the grass fire closest to us for a full day even though it'd been put out. I think they were wary of an ember risk.

Comment

Working...
                        X