This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Video game suggestions please.

My oldest son talked me into buying a new PS4. He had a bunch of gift cards for random stores and gave them to me, which paid for about 2/3 of the cost. I also had to buy a new TV, since our only working TV was top of the line 1990 style, which of course didn't have HDMI ports. The TV I could afford is a 32 inch, so it's small, but it does the job.

Anyway, I got the bundle that came with Star Wars Battlefront, and the other boys used various gift cards to buy Lego Batman 3, GTA 5 and NBA2K15. That should keep them busy for a short while, but I'd also like to find some games I might enjoy. Here's where I have a problem. I'm not sure what I like, and it seems like all the big games are sequels to games that have been out a really long time, so it seems like I might have a difficult time starting in the middle. Also, the last game I played that I really, really liked was Spyro (dating myself, I know, but I loved that little purple dragon!). I do like GTA, but I like fantasy type games over realistic games, and don't necessarily like first person shooters.

So, if you were me, what games might you look into buying?
    At the conclusion of an Irish wedding, the priest said "Everybody please hug the person who has made your life worth living. The bartender was nearly crushed to death.

God of War III. It's bloody but a wonderful story. Though you do need to have played the first game to get most of the story...II was just filler.
    My Guide to Oblivion

"I resent the implication that I've gone mad, Sprocket."

Comment

if it can play PS3 games I recommend the Sly Collection and Sly Cooper Thieves in Time
      ACNL Dream Address: 5300-6013-1370

Comment

I think Sly Cooper is available to download. I'm not sure if this console will play PS3 games. I'll have to check.
        At the conclusion of an Irish wedding, the priest said "Everybody please hug the person who has made your life worth living. The bartender was nearly crushed to death.

Comment

Quoth mathnerd View Post
          The TV I could afford is a 32 inch, so it's small...(snip)
          Try playing GTA V on a 19 inch hdtv, then come back and complain about small.

Otherwise, I'd suggest LEGO Marvel Superheroes if you like the LEGO Batman game.
          Last edited by dendawg; 01-01-2016, 08:11 PM.

Comment

Quoth dendawg View Post
            Try playing GTA V on a 19 inch hdtv, then come back and complain about small.

Otherwise, I'd suggest LEGO Marvel Superheroes if you like the LEGO Batman game.
            Yeah, that would be really tiny. And Lego Batman was for the 13 year old. I'm not sure if I like that game yet, though I'm more inclined to play it than the NBA game.

I got temporarily excited when I saw that Sony has some of the old PS2 games available for download, but my excitement was dashed when I looked at the list and discovered that my old favorites aren't among the ones they've released.

Comment

Haven't played it yet, but Transformers Devastation looks good. GTA V is a very fun game, but not safe for younger kids.
              "Life is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid" Redd Foxx as Al Royal - The Royal Family - Pilot Episode - 1991.

Comment

I was looking at the Transformers game in the store. I was wondering how fun it was, as it did look interesting. As for GTA V; my kids are teens. The youngest is a little immature for his age, so I've told him he's not allowed to play it, but the other two I'm fine with playing in limited amounts (an hour each, then they have to switch to a different game.) I think I'm also going to buy Little Big Planet for the younger one, and he also wants Disney Dimension Star Wars.
                Last edited by mathnerd; 01-01-2016, 10:49 PM. Reason: I know the difference between Lego and Disney. Really.

Comment

So you'll probably scoff at this, but I'm going to recommend Fallout 4. It's easy to switch between first and third person views, and it's a wide open sandbox world with tons of quests if you want to do them, but no real requirement to if you don't want to. I'm more into fantasy type games myself, and I've been having a blast with Fallout. (See what I did there? )
                  You're only delaying the inevitable, you run at your own expense. The repo man gets paid to chase you. ~Argabarga

Comment

Quoth Kittish View Post
                    ... I've been having a blast with Fallout...
                    Such a glowing review!
                    I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
                    Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
                    Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Quoth mathnerd View Post
                      I was looking at the Transformers game in the store. I was wondering how fun it was, as it did look interesting. As for GTA V; my kids are teens. The youngest is a little immature for his age, so I've told him he's not allowed to play it, but the other two I'm fine with playing in limited amounts (an hour each, then they have to switch to a different game.) I think I'm also going to buy Little Big Planet for the younger one, and he also wants Disney Dimension Star Wars.
                      I'll give you a review of the Transformers game, once I have time to ply it. Also, are the older kids playing GTA V online, or just offline?
                      "Life is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid" Redd Foxx as Al Royal - The Royal Family - Pilot Episode - 1991.

Comment

There are a bunch of "collected edition" games for ps3 -- some of which may be available as digital downloads on the ps4 store (albeit likely for a good bit more than what stores charge). I second Sly Cooper collection if it'll work on there. Ditto God of War HD collection, Ratchet & Clank collection, Ico/Shadow of the Colossus HD bundle, and Kingdom Hearts 1.5 & 2.5 "Final Mix" versions (each of those last two have 2 visually upgraded & expanded KH games + cutscenes from a third).

If you like old-school RPG games, Suikoden I & II for the PS1 may be available on the online store (unsure if the ps4 goes that far back), and they are excellent. Good way to get some strategy chocolate mixed in with your RPG peanut butter.
                        "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                        "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                        "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
                        "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                        "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                        "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
                        Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
                        "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Quoth Victory Sabre View Post
                          I'll give you a review of the Transformers game, once I have time to ply it. Also, are the older kids playing GTA V online, or just offline?

Thanks. And they're miffed at me because I won't let them play that particular game online. They whine that all the fun stuff is online, but I'm a meany-head. Too much crap out there, and with the content of that particular game, they can just deal without it.

Erickei, thanks for the list! They don't have all that many old PS1 games available as of yet. There's only 10 of them, and I don't think that one is on the list. Neither is Spyro. Can you tell I'm sad about Spyro?

I'll look at Fallout 4. It's not a style that typically grabs my attention, but with Kittish's review, maybe it's worth a look.

Comment

Quoth Victory Sabre View Post
                            Haven't played it yet, but Transformers Devastation looks good. GTA V is a very fun game, but not safe for younger kids.
                            Tf: Devastation is a bit of fun

Fallout 4 is awesome for the amount of stuff you can do ignoring the main quest (ignore that it's a "sequel" - has next to nothing to do with the earlier games)

The Batman Arkham series is a bit of fun too, and check out Lord of the Rings Shadow of Mordor (same team/engine as the Batman series, so the gameplay is similar, just set in Mordor)

Comment

People in my league are trying to get me into Minecrack. It's not really my thing. The latest Elder Scrolls game is also popular. I gave up on DC Universe Online because of changes to the game I didn't like, but the leveling missions are fun. The latter two do require a subscription (though you can play parts of DCUO for free). Not sure if FFVII is available for download on PS4, but I know it is on PS3.

What I would recommend is any game you're thinking about, look up on YouTube. Odds are someone has done a walkthrough and you can get an idea of the content and gameplay to see if it's something you really want.
                              I am no longer of capable of the emotion you humans call “compassion”. Though I can feign it in exchange for an hourly wage. (Gravekeeper)

Comment

Working...
                              X