This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TV question

Ok being the dumb college student I am I decided to get a new tv for my room (current one only takes component cables and you have to turn the tv to get access at the rear ones since the side ones push into the tv) and decided on one at Wall2Wall shart, it is a return without cable (sure I can find one) or remote (Universal to solve that) but I want to mount it on a stand instead of using the legs. Can I use the screws from the legs to mount it or should I find out what size it needs and buy some?
    ACNL Dream Address: 5300-6013-1370

Look up the manual online and see for sure -- if the screws you have are even a tiny bit too small, you're risking the entire TV on a hunch.
    Last edited by EricKei; 01-08-2016, 01:03 AM.
    "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
    "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
    "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
    "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
    "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
    "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
    Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
    "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Quoth darkroxas45 View Post
      Ok being the dumb college student I am I decided to get a new tv for my room (current one only takes component cables and you have to turn the tv to get access at the rear ones since the side ones push into the tv) and decided on one at Wall2Wall shart, it is a return without cable (sure I can find one) or remote (Universal to solve that) but I want to mount it on a stand instead of using the legs. Can I use the screws from the legs to mount it or should I find out what size it needs and buy some?
      Cable? Easy, most likely you'll just want an HDMI cord, they're common place.
      What do you mean by a stand? The TVs typically have screws for the wall mount in the back, but if you're talking the legs, it depends on how they're mounted, but typically its a screw, figure out the size and grab some replacements from the store, just make sure they're not too long as you don't want them going in too deep.
      Seph
      Taur10
      "You're supposed to be the head of covert intelligence. Right now, I'm not seeing a hell of a lot of intelligence. Covert, overt, or otherwise!"-Lochley, B5, A View from the Gallery

Comment

Quoth Javarod View Post
        Cable? Easy, most likely you'll just want an HDMI cord, they're common place.
        What do you mean by a stand? The TVs typically have screws for the wall mount in the back, but if you're talking the legs, it depends on how they're mounted, but typically its a screw, figure out the size and grab some replacements from the store, just make sure they're not too long as you don't want them going in too deep.
        Power Cable I know I shoulda been more specific. And I am going to get one that it mounts on a post connected to shelves to place stuff like cable boxes and game systems. It has legs as is but I wanna put it on the post to make it higher.

Comment

thought you guys might like to see why I want a new tv rig
          Last edited by darkroxas45; 08-21-2016, 07:01 PM.

Comment

Power Cable I know I shoulda been more specific. And I am going to get one that it mounts on a post connected to shelves to place stuff like cable boxes and game systems. It has legs as is but I wanna put it on the post to make it higher.
            Oh, power cord might be just as easy, at least, I think both of my TVs use standard 3 prong appliance cords, like computers do.

Looks like you'll be using a wall mount or pole? Look for information on VERSA mounts if your going to make your own that's the standard for displays, and obviously if your going to buy, they'll all be compatible.
            Seph
            Taur10
            "You're supposed to be the head of covert intelligence. Right now, I'm not seeing a hell of a lot of intelligence. Covert, overt, or otherwise!"-Lochley, B5, A View from the Gallery

Comment

[ATTACH]4421[/ATTACH] thought you guys might like to see why I want a new tv rig
              Holy cow. We just retired that same exact television.
              "Enough expository banter. It's time we fight like men. And ladies. And ladies who dress like men. For Gilgamesh...IT'S MORPHING TIME!"
              - Gilgamesh, Final Fantasy V

Comment

Quoth Kogarashi View Post
                Holy cow. We just retired that same exact television.
                To make it even funnier, so did we. At least from what I can tell from the small picture on my phone.
                At the conclusion of an Irish wedding, the priest said "Everybody please hug the person who has made your life worth living. The bartender was nearly crushed to death.

Comment

Quoth mathnerd View Post
                  To make it even funnier, so did we. At least from what I can tell from the small picture on my phone.
                  the ps3 is sitting on an old chest that was in the closet and the tv is sitting on a retired speakerbox my brother got and that rode around in the truck of my car.

Comment

Sometime during the week, the question pretty much became moot. The tv got sold (oh well it happens)

Comment

Probably for the best. I prefer not to take a chance with a 'pig in a poke' when I can help it, especially if I'm unsure about major aspects of it. Even those "universal" remotes are not always a sure thing; someone I know has a "White-Westinghouse" flat-screen, and I've had a hell of a time getting their Comcast remote to work with it.

As for the old TV, hey, those CRTs definitely have their place when it comes to classic gaming. I have a 27" JVC CRT set which will be at the helm of my A/V system once I can figure out the best way to hoist it into place on top of my cabinet. Old Nintendo and Atari games just don't look right when viewed on modern LCD TVs, and the 'screen lag' can be a killer....... (closest relevant smilie I could find...)
                      Goofy music!
                      Old tech junk!

Comment

Working...
                      X