This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Your Opinions Please!

My husband is getting home from Texas tonight; flying in at 11:30, so we'll be home again at around midnight, and he'll be hungry, so I had an idea to make homemade nachos. I'll be frying tortillas, and thinking about topping them with grilled steak, sauteed red onion, some sort of cheese, either cheddar or feta. So I'd like your opinions on this, do you guys think that this would be a good idea for a late night snack?

I'm thinking about grilling the steak marinated in jazzabel sauce and some hoisin, and then sauteeing the onion in butter and mirin. Then I'm debating whether to make a cheddar cheese sauce or just sprinkle feta on top, along with some smoked paprika.

Any ideas or suggestions would be appreciated!!

Baking the tortillas might be a thought, too.

What about Frito Pie? Fritos, Chili, and Cheese...
    Skilled programmers aren't cheap. Cheap programmers aren't skilled.

Comment

Sounds delicious but could use some greens in there, and diced tomato. Plus guacamole if you have it. I'd say cheddar, that would be nicer than feta.

Comment

I have no idea what jazzabel,hoisin or mirin are
        The Copyright Monster has made me tell you that my avatar is courtesy of the wonderful Alice XZ.And you don't want to annoy the Copyright Monster.

Comment

Quoth Kit-Ginevra View Post
          I have no idea what jazzabel,hoisin or mirin are
          Jazzabel is beyond me too but hoisin and mirin are both Asian. Think of mirin as sweetened cooking wine. Hoisin sauce is like a condiment, it's sweetish too.

Comment

Jazzabel is a sauce I found in a supermarket while I was in Texas. It's a sweet and hot sauce, made from pineapple, horseradish and red pepper.

I wound up making the nachos with grilled steak in the hoisin sauce, a cream cheese/cheddar sauce, that I used the mirin in, sauteed onions in the Jazzabel sauce, and tomatoes on top. Since his flight was delayed until well after midnight, we didn't get home til one, and so it was nice that I'd had everything prepared already, and he just had to eat it.

Comment

Sounds pretty tasty. I agree on the comment about greens, though. When we do loaded nachos (usually as a dinner; it's one of the things I can count on all three of my girls to eat), I add shredded lettuce and diced bell pepper for green color, and require them to each pick at least one green ingredient for their plates.
              "Enough expository banter. It's time we fight like men. And ladies. And ladies who dress like men. For Gilgamesh...IT'S MORPHING TIME!"
              - Gilgamesh, Final Fantasy V

Comment

Cheddar if you're going for a more traditional taste; feta is a bit more adventurous (he does like feta, right...?), but it does go well with grilled beef and with basil.
                "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
                "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
                Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
                "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

We both love feta, but he wasn't a big fan of the mirin in the cheddar sauce. Since it's basically sake, I may have to try a different cooking wine next time.

Comment

If he's very adventurous,I'd have Erinesque covered in the cheese sauce for him
                    The Copyright Monster has made me tell you that my avatar is courtesy of the wonderful Alice XZ.And you don't want to annoy the Copyright Monster.

Comment

I must admit, I really laughed out loud at at that one, Kit-Ginevra!

Comment

Working...
                      X