This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Facebook Group

So facebook has apparently deleted my account because I don't use my real name. I only had the account for the benefit of one person in the first place so I'm not even going to bother dealing with it. So I guess I'll just see y'all here. :/
    "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Chuckles, "Dontcha just love FB? I rarely do more than games there, and like you, ifn they deleted my account (i do use my real name, but i'm not allowed to mention one of my online names), i'd just shrug and get on with my life."
    Seph
    Taur10
    "You're supposed to be the head of covert intelligence. Right now, I'm not seeing a hell of a lot of intelligence. Covert, overt, or otherwise!"-Lochley, B5, A View from the Gallery

Comment

The only reason I liked it was Ree's memes. So many memes. Ree, can you just post them here?
      "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

FB has just "shut down" my account too - because I use my business name. And of course I'll have to scan my DL and send it in to FB - because it's one of the few outlets I have.

*sigh*
        https://purplefish-quilting.square.site/

Comment

They must be doing a "name purge" again. Sometimes they do things like that. I've even heard they do it if they think you don't have enough FB friends.
          Skilled programmers aren't cheap. Cheap programmers aren't skilled.

Comment

Wouldn't surprise me -- Friending/linking is ultimately where their money comes from. Well, that, and scammers like to go around Friending random people in order to generate ad revenue (same deal) -- I just got two such invites today.
            "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
            "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
            "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
            "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
            "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
            "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
            Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
            "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Quoth EricKei View Post
              Wouldn't surprise me -- Friending/linking is ultimately where their money comes from. Well, that, and scammers like to go around Friending random people in order to generate ad revenue (same deal) -- I just got two such invites today.
              I get weird Twitter followers, too...

But my wife set up a fake FB account a couple of years ago, mainly to play the games.

I think if I set one up, it wouldn't be long before it got deleted, because mine would only be used in a professional capacity, for the most part. I wouldn't have a lot of FB "friends", so I don't think I'd be "useful" to the FB people.

Comment

Quoth mjr View Post
                They must be doing a "name purge" again. Sometimes they do things like that. I've even heard they do it if they think you don't have enough FB friends.
                heh, they wouldn't have that problem with me, not only do I use my real name (first name shortened) but I'm FB friends with most of the Deadliest Catch crews & captains, both current & former..Plus I play Farmville religiously so I have a shit load of friends for game play

Plus a few folks from here that I've managed to figure out who's who (Eric & Jester mainly

here's my link to my profile if anyone here wants to "hook up" on FB, unless you're a creeper, all requests will be accepted...though I do ask that you reference your username on here so I know who's who

http://https://www.facebook.com/JefafaDunHamManiac47
                "Much butthurt I sense in you, cry like a bitch you should"

Comment

I had a friend who went by his nickname and FB shut down his account. He even has some mail in his name, personal mail, and still it's a no-go. I honestly don't know his real name because he doesn't go by it at all, but I know him enough that he was at my wedding and crashed on my couch. I was so mad that FB shut down his account and he hasn't been able to restore it...
                  Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

Comment

My current FB handle is my business name. When I first started facebook I used my real name - and some assholes from high school decided to start shit with me, calling me a loser and taunting me to commit suicide. I notified FB and shut down my account and opened a new one with my business name. So far so good, but now they want my driver's license and tax info on file (real name DBA business name). It's crazy.

Comment

I think it's crap that they want your tax info - what use do they really have for that? It's really none of their business, as far as I'm concerned.

I use my first and middle name on FB, my last name is not posted there for many reasons, and I keep expecting FB to try to shut me down. But at the same time I have a FB profile (that I set up when I first went no contact with my mother) under something completely different, and last time I checked that account it's still active and I have not received any notification concerning the name I used for it. I'm sure it will happen eventually though.

I heard that FB is supposed to be relaxing their rules somewhat, especially in situations where a person using their real name is not feasible - such as bullying, people escaping from abusive relationships, and transgender folks who have not been able to get their ID changed over. But for them to ask for tax info is just mind boggling...they don't have that right. Or at least shouldn't have that right.

Comment

My tax paperwork just connects my real name to my business name.

And apparently they're assholes because they just auto-changed it back to my real name with a nice email that I won't be able to change my name again.

Comment

Yeah - I can see requesting A Tax ID for a **business page**, for the sole purpose of making sure they're an actual, registered business. Little reason other than that, though -- and absolutely no reason to ask a personal account user for the same info (SSN in the US)

If you haven't already, you can leave the real-name account on there for access purposes, and then set up a Business Account to go alongside it (the latter requires the former anyway); you can then set up the real-name one as an Admin on the business page.
                          "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                          "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                          "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                          "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                          "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)

Comment

Quoth EricKei View Post
                            Yeah - I can see requesting A Tax ID for a **business page**, for the sole purpose of making sure they're an actual, registered business. Little reason other than that, though -- and absolutely no reason to ask a personal account user for the same info (SSN in the US)

If you haven't already, you can leave the real-name account on there for access purposes, and then set up a Business Account to go alongside it (the latter requires the former anyway); you can then set up the real-name one as an Admin on the business page.
                            This thread is starting to really make me wonder about trying to be disruptive in this sector.

I have to wonder now how difficult it would be to make a FB Competitor that doesn't have the same sort of draconian-seeming rules.

To tell you the truth, I could probably do most of FaceBook myself, from a coding/development standpoint. I don't think I'd be able to do the games and whatnot, though, at this point (not generally my forte).

However, it has made me start to wonder if a competitor could be devised...and if I could get people to use it...

Comment

Quoth mjr View Post
                              However, it has made me start to wonder if a competitor could be devised...and if I could get people to use it...
                              It's that second bit that's the hard part. Even the mighty Google isn't doing so well on that front.

Comment

Working...
                              X