This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• True Confessions

All right friends, give it to me straight. What do you hate that everyone else seems to love? What do you love that everyone else hates? Say it here, and nobody get their feelings hurt. We can all have opinions.

I got 1/3 of the way through Ann Leckie's Ancillary Justice and quit. It was not my kind of book at all, completely devoid of emotion or character (beautiful world-building, but not enough to keep me reading). But it won a million awards and everyone praises her as the scion of 21st century SF. And I just don't see it.

Same with Benedict Cumberbratch. He's OK, I guess. Attractive? Not in the least.

But I have all of Meatloaf's Bat Out of Hell albums and have memorized all his songs. I think he's fantastic. So there's that.

What's your true confession?
    https://www.facebook.com/authorpatriciacorrell/

Quoth AnaKhouri View Post
    What do you hate that everyone else seems to love?
    Twilight. Reading it was like slogging through knee-high molasses while getting bitten by ants. It had potential but was just...ugh.
    Steven Moffat. I just don't care for his version of Doctor Who. I hope the new producer does a better job.
    What do you love that everyone else hates?
    U2
    ELO
    Say it here, and nobody get their feelings hurt. We can all have opinions.
    No flames, please?
    I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
    My LiveJournal
    A page we can all agree with!

Comment

I got 1/3 of the way through Ann Leckie's Ancillary Justice and quit.
      My boyfriend read that and said that it was a very hard slog to read and didn't really enjoy it.

Elvis, like one or two of the songs but not really a fan.
      Final Fantasy XIV - Acorna Starfall - Ragnarok (EU Legacy)

Comment

What I hate that everyone else seems to love? Coffee pods. Ugh, just no. Seriously people, aren't we supposed to be at least trying to generate less non-biodegradable trash? Those things are horrible.

I love, love, love Nine Inch Nails. Trent Reznor is gorgeous, especially once he cut his hair and quit trying to look all emo. And the man can sing! *swoons*
        You're only delaying the inevitable, you run at your own expense. The repo man gets paid to chase you. ~Argabarga

Comment

Quoth Kittish View Post
          What I hate that everyone else seems to love? Coffee pods. Ugh, just no. Seriously people, aren't we supposed to be at least trying to generate less non-biodegradable trash? Those things are horrible.
          I think they do actually have re-usable coffee pods. I don't know if they're compatible with the "cure egg" machines or not, but I do believe I've seen re-usable ones.
          Skilled programmers aren't cheap. Cheap programmers aren't skilled.

Comment

The machine in question has a fillable "pod" that you can fill with your own grounds for a certain price. My mother used to use it on hers so she'd have the perfect cup every time.

Comment

Guy here. I don't think Scarlett Johannson is particularly good-looking.
              Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

Quoth mjr View Post
                I think they do actually have re-usable coffee pods. I don't know if they're compatible with the "cure egg" machines or not, but I do believe I've seen re-usable ones.
                Yes, there are re-usable pods. The newer Egg machines, however, have since been manufactured deliberately so re-usable pods CANNOT be used with them. Total fail IMO.
                You're only delaying the inevitable, you run at your own expense. The repo man gets paid to chase you. ~Argabarga

Comment

Straight female who doesn't get the frenzy over Brad Pitt. He's just meh to me (too baby-faced for my taste, really).
                  "Crazy may always be open for business, but on the full moon, it has buy one get one free specials." - WishfulSpirit

"Sometimes customers remind me of zombies, but I'm pretty sure that zombies are smarter." - MelindaJoy77

Comment

Tom Cruise and George Clooney. Total meh. Also that Fabio guy. Ugh.

I...kind of like Comic Sans. Don't throw tomatoes!! Oh wait, I like tomatoes....

Also don't really care for chocolate chip cookies. Too sweet.
                    When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Quoth Kittish View Post
                      Yes, there are re-usable pods. The newer Egg machines, however, have since been manufactured deliberately so re-usable pods CANNOT be used with them. Total fail IMO.
                      Think that's no longer the case. I've seen reusable filters available for them that can brew a cup or a carafe.
                      Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

I'm of the opinion that Star Wars isn't that great. It's not horrible, but not really worth all the hype either. I swear I'm the only person who doesn't get Star Wars references, and I'm not a Trekkie either. But then again, sci-fi really isn't my thing in the first place.

I'm actually the kind of person that likes putting furniture together. Like, give me a room full of IKEA furniture still in the boxes and in need of an assembly and I'll get it all put together. I might need an extra set of hands occasionally to hold things together while I hammer/drill/screw/whatever, but I'll get it done. I even put our entertainment center together and mounted our 50" flatscreen on my own (which was probably not my smartest idea but the TV survived with just a slightly smudged screen). Hubs hates that I commandeer furniture building but something about following instructions and identifying parts and sitting on the floor shoving things around is like playtime to me.
                        The fact that jellyfish have survived for 650 million years despite not having brains gives hope to many people.

You would have to be incredibly dense for the world to revolve around you.

Comment

I don't really care for chocolate too much, especially dark chocolate. My preferred kind is white chocolate, and even then in smaller amounts with other things like peanut butter or cookie bits in it.

I also don't get all the fan-love for Final Fantasy 7. I played it. Got basically as close as I possibly could to 100%. Yes, even a gold chocobo and the Knights of the Round summon. I still don't see the appeal, I don't think it's the best Final Fantasy ever, and like even 8 more than it (though my top four faves are actually 9, 4, 12, and 10 in that order).

I'm not sure what I like that most don't. Internet Explorer, maybe? Windows in general?

Same with Benedict Cumberbratch. He's OK, I guess. Attractive? Not in the least.
                          I heard someone else describe it best: he looks kind of like a lizard. I don't mind him; he has a very distinctive, expressive face to me. But not attractive.

Quoth MoonCat View Post
                          I...kind of like Comic Sans.
                          I kind of like Papyrus. Let's be friends!
                          "Enough expository banter. It's time we fight like men. And ladies. And ladies who dress like men. For Gilgamesh...IT'S MORPHING TIME!"
                          - Gilgamesh, Final Fantasy V

Comment

I avoid the mall. Something about people spending money they don't have on things they don't want just seems weird to me. Around here the malls are packed every day. There's so many other places that I'd rather go.

Clothes shopping is also weird for me. I guess I have an odd body type because nothing looks good on me except Asian clothing. I mostly have jeans and t-shirts and that's it.

I also don't get the whole expensive shoes/purse thing. I have my comfy sneakers and I love them.

I love fabric (duh!) I enjoy putting "ugly" fabrics together and making something beautiful. Most people just look at me like I'm insane, but I get excited when I find the perfect fabric for something.

I love to read and learn new things. I'm always researching something, whether for a quilt (Paleozoic quilts anyone?) or just for fun. One of my co-workers said she had a pretty low opinion of Oklahomans when she first moved here, but that I'm the smartest person she's ever met.
                            https://purplefish-quilting.square.site/

Comment

I don't like cheesecake. I've tried it over the years and nope, just can't eat it. I don't like strawberries. I don't like shrimp. Blech! I've never been inside a Starbucks, don't intend to either. I've never watched an episode of Dr. Who. Never seen Harry Potter or read any of the books. And I absolutely hate the movie Pulp Fiction. But I do still absolutely love The Matrix. And maybe about half of Matrix Reloaded anything after that not so much.

Wow, I feel much better now.
                              I would have a nice day, but I have other things to do.

Comment

Working...
                              X