This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So today I got hit by a car

First off, I'm fine. I mean, I've got some nasty scrapes and bruises, but nothing is broken, aside from two eggs in the groceries I was carrying.

I was crossing the street, and didn't notice the signal change for a minute, so was late stepping into the crosswalk. Kid in a car made a right on red, and looked left but not right. BAM. Hits me with the side of his car. I got knocked into the pavement, and was probably making a bit of a spectacle with crying and shouting because I was FREAKED. But the driver helped me up and he and a witness got me out of the road.

Didn't call the police; probably should have, but I was kind of in shock and just wanted to go home. No harm done, ultimately. The kid wasn't driving drunk or erratically; just didn't watch as closely as he should have. He clearly felt awful.

So, that was my day. How was yours?
    "Eventually, everything that you have said becomes everything you will ever say." Eireann

My pony dolls: http://equestriarags.tumblr.com

So glad to hear you're okay.
    Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

Quoth Irving Patrick Freleigh View Post

Thanks! I should be fine; achey but fine. Probably going to avoid walking to the store for a few days, though.
      "Eventually, everything that you have said becomes everything you will ever say." Eireann

Comment

Quoth Irving Patrick Freleigh View Post

This 100%.

Also, while I agree that calling the police might have been a good idea in case something turns up down the road, at least you can hope that the driver got enough of a scare that he'll pay more attention in the future.
        "Enough expository banter. It's time we fight like men. And ladies. And ladies who dress like men. For Gilgamesh...IT'S MORPHING TIME!"
        - Gilgamesh, Final Fantasy V

Comment

My friends have convinced me to go get myself checked out, just in case something is injured that I don't know about (back and hip are the particular worries.) However, the driver only wants to pay out of pocket for me to go to urgent care, and is refusing to give his insurance info.

I am pretty much the least confrontational person in the world. DO. NOT. WANT. Any of this. I just want everyone to be happy.

Comment

First, I'm glad you're okay.

Second, I don't think he can refuse to give his insurance information .... if he has it :/ Certainly if the police had been involved, he wouldn't be able to refuse.

Third, this just might be the shake-up a new driver needs to learn to be more careful.

Lastly, I'm glad you're okay

Comment

In aussieland, his licence plate or his vehicle identification number is enough information for the police to get his human-injury insurance information.
              If you have anything at all that will identify him or his car, file a police report and have the police report and your medical after-the-fact report each reference the other. There might be delayed effects, and a report now will help meet your needs then - if it happens.

I fully understand that you don't like confrontation, but there's 'nice' and there's 'meek', and beyond 'meek', there's 'doormat'. You can be nice without being either of the other.

Aim for Twilight Sparkle, not Fluttershy. You don't have to be Applejack, and you definitely don't have to be Rainbow Brash.
              A character with a very different personality from Twilight Sparkle but who is also assertive and very nice at the same time, is the mare with the three-flowers cutie mark who teaches the foals. I forget her name, but you could try her low-confrontation assertion style if you want to.
              Seshat's self-help guide:
              1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
              2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
              3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
              4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

Quoth JoitheArtist View Post
                My friends have convinced me to go get myself checked out, just in case something is injured that I don't know about (back and hip are the particular worries.) However, the driver only wants to pay out of pocket for me to go to urgent care, and is refusing to give his insurance info.

I am pretty much the least confrontational person in the world. DO. NOT. WANT. Any of this. I just want everyone to be happy.
                To me, refusal to give info is a huge red flag that there's a problem, such as he doesn't HAVE insurance. That's when I'd tell him "insurance info or I call the police about this".
                "Crazy may always be open for business, but on the full moon, it has buy one get one free specials." - WishfulSpirit

"Sometimes customers remind me of zombies, but I'm pretty sure that zombies are smarter." - MelindaJoy77

Comment

Quoth Seanette View Post
                  To me, refusal to give info is a huge red flag that there's a problem, such as he doesn't HAVE insurance. That's when I'd tell him "insurance info or I call the police about this".
                  This. I'm not saying it's the case, but this is the sort of situation where I start wondering if someone took their parents' car without permission.
                  "Enough expository banter. It's time we fight like men. And ladies. And ladies who dress like men. For Gilgamesh...IT'S MORPHING TIME!"

Comment

Ok, so here's where things stand today.

I called the police and finally spoke to an officer. He said that as long as driver took financial responsibility, they don't get involved. Driver did, with his offer of payment, but still isn't giving me his insurance info, which he IS required to do. He doesn't have to report it to his insurance company, but I can. GUH.

I was originally hoping to get checked out by a doctor today, but I really don't want to do that without the insurance info, because I have less than no money for medical bills right now. I just don't want to have a back or neck injury crop up in a few weeks and have no recourse for it.

So, I'm kinda stuck til I hear back from this guy.

Comment

Quoth Kogarashi View Post
                      This. I'm not saying it's the case, but this is the sort of situation where I start wondering if someone took their parents' car without permission.
                      Also possible. I just used the "doesn't HAVE insurance" as a example of an issue I'd suspect.
                      "Crazy may always be open for business, but on the full moon, it has buy one get one free specials." - WishfulSpirit

"Sometimes customers remind me of zombies, but I'm pretty sure that zombies are smarter." - MelindaJoy77

Comment

Finally, a positive update!

I kept getting nowhere with the police, and was rather frustrated, so I tweeted that frustration at them. LO AND BEHOLD I get contacted an hour or so later by a guy who calmly listens to my story, apologizes for my difficulty, and sends an officer around.

The officer was great; he took all my info, the info for the driver and the witness, and told me that he's going to contact both of them and try to get a collision report AND get the driver's insurance info which he should have given me in the first place (whether I remembered to ask for it or not).

Yay!!

Comment

Yay, positive results! There need to be more of those around.

Comment

Quoth Kogarashi View Post
                            Yay, positive results! There need to be more of those around.
                            Gods, my life has been nothing but negative results for the last few months. I'm desperate for anything good.

Comment

Quoth JoitheArtist View Post
                              Gods, my life has been nothing but negative results for the last few months. I'm desperate for anything good.
                              Fingers crossed that this is the turning point.

Comment

Working...
                              X