Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can I just vent for a minute about holidays?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can I just vent for a minute about holidays?

I know you will understand this because you work retail.

First, I don't care much about holidays. I'm sure some of it's due to working a million hours right before a holiday and going home in pain because of all the last-minute shoppers. Some of it is that I'm 42 and the novelty has worn off. Another part of it is that holidays like Christmas and Easter have no real significance for me. I'm christian, but I don't connect those with Christ, though I have no problem with their existence. If I were pagan I probably would be much the same; I'd note the time of year, but not go to much trouble to celebrate the equinoxes or solstices. I'm just not very interested in all that.

My friends and customers find Easter a Big Deal. All weekend long I've been met with "Happy Easter" which is a nice sentiment, but I'm not used to saying it and it's always, "Uh..thank you," which is akward. OK, whatever. I just deal with it. But then I know because I'm single and live alone I will get asked by friends over and over "What are your plans for Easter?" or "Are you going to see your parents?" It's nice of them to ask, but I hate when I answer honestly and get a look like I have 3 heads because I'm not upset that I won't see my family today, won't have Easter dinner, etc. *sigh* Why can't I just have a regular Sunday afternoon if I want to? I'm so glad no one invited me over. I didn't want to have to hurt their feelings.

I need to. I just decided on Friday to start looking for a 2nd job again, and found a position posted that day. It's a 3-minute walk from home, so I really need to get on the ball. They want a resume. I am taking advantage of being home on Sun. afternoons to write one and get it out. I also have my usual cooking to do, since I'm never home (always on a bus or waiting for a bus). And my apt. is a mess since I didn't, you know, have the weekend off to clean. I'm not going somewhere and then coming home and staying up late to get it done. I have to leave early tomorrow to go get my taxes done so I can have money to live on. My middle class friends who don't work weekends will never get it.

ETA: I found this http://www.onbeing.org/blog/why-i-do...christmas/7153 and laughed at these comments

As they say, Americans have a holiday for almost every deadly sin: Christmas is greed, Thanksgiving is gluttony, Valentine's Day is lust, and Fourth of July is pride. Wrath, envy and sloth just have to be spread out throughout the year.

Submitted by KAREN GRAY on Thu, 2014-12-25 11:57
    Amen to those words

Submitted by SYLVIA on Sun, 2015-01-04 11:05
    Missed New Year's Day with drunkenness Halloween with flirting with the other side Easter with ...envy for other's bonnets
    Last edited by Food Lady; 03-27-2016, 06:25 PM.
    "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Those are funny Although to be fair, Christmas and Easter aren't strictly American holidays.

I'm pagan now, but we do a few special things for Christmas and Easter because we love some of the old traditions that we did when we were kids. Besides, the Christians took some of the old pagan symbols and incorporated them into their celebrations, such as eggs being a symbol of life.

I can understand being fed up with all the hoopla when you have to work retail, though. After weeks of demanding customers in your face, having a quiet day to yourself must be precious.
    When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

I worked this evening and for the most part didn't even feel like a holiday. More like a regular Sunday night. Things were a little more laid back than normal. At least I didn't get the "I hope you got to spend time with your family" line. If by family you mean my cats than I did. If I was off I might have made myself a nice meal. After nearly 14 years of being in my job, the holidays just don't mean the same. I have family close enough that I could go over if I wanted to.

What I do miss is when I was younger when we had tons of food and a house full of people. Everyone is spread out all over that it's not going to happen. Oh well, on to the next holiday!
      I would have a nice day, but I have other things to do.

Comment

Mothers' Day next, and I'm all for that one. At least people don't worry about me being alone. I like being alone. I'll mail something to Mom.

Comment

Quoth Food Lady View Post
          Mothers' Day next, and I'm all for that one. At least people don't worry about me being alone. I like being alone. I'll mail something to Mom.
          I'm considering what to get my mom. I'm thinking bath salts.

Comment

In my corner of the retail business (pizza delivery) "Major holidays" (meaning in the US HIGH travel type holidays like Xmas/New Years, Thanksgiving, Labor Day, Memorial Day, July 4th) just mean a big push of business right before and during said holiday(s) weekends.

Yes I know it is really the same thing for most retail businesses these days with the BIG addition of having a "sale" for almost every single petty "holiday" (if you will --- I am really surprised there is NO "Talk LIKE A Pirate" holiday sale) that is on the calendar.

I too have gotten to the point of "WHAT IS the point anymore??????? All it is about is ONE BIG greed/grabby sale. TO Quote Linus Van Pelt "{insert holiday name} is getting tooooo commercial".
            I'm lost without a paddle and headed up SH*T creek.
            -- Life Sucks Then You Die.

"I'll believe corp. are people when Texas executes one."

Comment

Quoth Aria View Post
              I'm considering what to get my mom. I'm thinking bath salts.
              That's a nice idea. Maybe something from Lush? My mom is in love with WinCo grocery--I WANT ONE SO BAD--so I think I'll send her a giftcard. She likes practical gifts and she loves the bulk bins. (If you just need a tsp of a spice for a recipe, you can totally get one.) Did I mention I need a WinCo here??

Comment

Mother's day is my "ugh" holiday. Ive not had one in 13 years that was fun or happy for me. Lil Ray has been too young to get me anything and I sincerely hate buying myself gifts, wrapping them and then pretending they're from someone else. O.o ack. Sorry...*hides head in shame at thread jack*

Comment

I don't get a lot of the holiday hoopla either. Maybe I'm approaching 40, maybe it's because my grandparents are all gone now, maybe it's because my dad left last year, but to some of us...they're just another day. I don't get excited about them all that much now.
                  Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines. --Enzo Ferrari

Comment

Sadly, for some, Veteran's Day is Wrath.
                    Which is a real shame, because most Veterans (and existing servicemen) are more about peace and protecting the civilians than anything else.

Labour Day, ironically, is about Sloth, from what I hear.

And whenever there's any sort of 'lifestyles of the rich and famous' event such as the Oscars, that's Envy.
                    Seshat's self-help guide:
                    1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
                    2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
                    3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
                    4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

I get the day off most holidays. I try to at least take time out of those days for reflection.
                      Skilled programmers aren't cheap. Cheap programmers aren't skilled.

Comment

Quoth mjr View Post
                        I get the day off most holidays. I try to at least take time out of those days for reflection.
                        I like to take time out, too. But my friends want to party.

Comment

Working...
                        X