This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sellers suck!

I'm the customer in this story. Or, I would have been, had not the seller shown her true colors.

I belong to a Facebook page for buying and selling items in this city. It's a great place to find deals. I've bought quite a few things off it, and sold a few. Someday, I'll post about the "buyers" who stiffed me, but not in this post.

I found an item that looked great. And priced extremely low, for what it is. I contacted the seller and said I would take it, and when could I pick it up? She said I could pick it up today. I said I would have to contact people I know who move things for a living. One will be available tomorrow. One didn't answer my text.

So, I asked if tomorrow was okay. Yes, in the late afternoon she'd be home. I contacted the mover, and he said he'd only be available earlier in the day. I messaged the seller on Facebook and went out for a few hours.

I came home to find a message from her on Facebook that since other people were interested in the item, it was first-come, first-served. Oh, and she had raised the price.

Yes. She had raised the price.

I message her that I didn't like any of this. I stated clearly that I would take the item, I've been trying to work around her schedule, and now she raises the price.

She went into a flurry of excuses. You see, people have messaged her that they would take an item, they would pick it up on a certain day at a certain time, and they never showed up, waaah.

I told her that she doesn't have the right to punish potential buyers because of the actions of other people.

She claims that it's the practice of that Facebook page. Price as posted, or best offer (evidently, in her universe, "best offer" means "whoever will pay me the increased price I demand, rather than the one I posted.").

Oh, and looky here... "I will let you know if he doesn't come."

So she's already agreed to sell it to someone else. She has made arrangements for this guy to pick it up. And she's kindly deigning to let me know if he doesn't show up.

I pointed out that auctioning items isn't allowed on that page. She says she's not auctioning. I told her that when an item is posted at a certain price, and the price is raised in the expectation that someone will meet it, that's auctioning.

Now, she claims that she put the item up for sale on more than one Facebook page, and that the other pages don't have rules against auctioning! (So much for, "I wasn't auctioning it!")

Whine, whine, whine. I really hope that the other buyer never shows, either. I've reported her to the administrator of the page.

Quoth Eireann View Post
    Now, she claims that she put the item up for sale on more than one Facebook page, and that the other pages don't have rules against auctioning! (So much for, "I wasn't auctioning it!")
    Parallel situation: I80 across the salt flats in Utah has (or at least had, the last time I drove it) a 75 MPH speed limit for trucks. California has a 55 MPH speed limit for trucks (unless a given road has a lower speed limit for all traffic). The fact that other states allow trucks to go 75 MPH wouldn't get me out of a ticket in California (and wouldn't get me out of an "OPEC speeding ticket" in the states that allow higher speeds).
    Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Just off the top of my head, this sounds like she probably doesn't have anyone else interested in her item, she was just hoping that the perceived 'competition would make you willing to pay more for it than the original price she listed.
      You're only delaying the inevitable, you run at your own expense. The repo man gets paid to chase you. ~Argabarga

Comment

She's now offering me the item for the original price, telling me that she'll "reserve" it if I "promise" to buy it.

God, that's so condescending. "I tried to screw you over, and when you called me on it, I backpedaled, trying to sound magnanimous in the face of your unreasonable behavior."

(No, she didn't say that. But that was the tone.)

I'm waiting a little while so I can cool down before telling her that I'm not going to buy it. Her attitude notwithstanding, the item has lost its appeal.

Comment

I'm glad you're rejecting her "offer", let her get stuck with the item.

And I hope the mods there boot her off the site for her shenanigans...

Comment

She sent me one more PM, thanking me for... well, for what, I'm not sure. I think she was trying to come across as a decent person who was mistaken in how the page works, and was pretending to be grateful to me for calling her on her behavior.

I don't buy it. I reported her a couple of hours before that, so even if she was sincere in her thanks, Facebook is still going to come down on her for trying to scam me.

Comment

Agreed, the apology is to make her look more sympathetic to the mods. Who with any backbone will boot her for her behavior...

Comment

I remember the last time I purchased something off of FB.

It was new booth displays, and I told the lady selling them that I would take all of them and pay in cash but I wasn't going to be able to pick them up until the weekend. (This was on a Wednesday.)

She said she'd been scammed before and if I wanted the displays I needed to be there that day or tomorrow, or she'd sell to someone else. So I had to scramble to rent a larger vehicle - wasn't going to pay deadbeat uncle out the nose, so I could go get them. Sigh.

I understand wanting something sold and gone and give me the money ASAP, but people are working all week and many only have weekend free time.
                https://purplefish-quilting.square.site/

Comment

It was a dick move. I wouldn't buy it either.

I've walked away from more than one transaction when either a buyer or seller pulled this kind of BS.
                  They say that God only gives us what we can handle. Apparently, God thinks I'm a bad ass.

Comment

Quoth wolfie View Post
                    I80 across the salt flats in Utah has (or at least had, the last time I drove it) a 75 MPH speed limit for trucks.
                    It's 80 now (as are most of the freeways outside of populated areas,) but that still wont get someone out of a speeding ticket if they keep doing 80 when they pass over the border into Nevada.

Comment

Working...
                    X