This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Concern for a friend

Back in December, a friend of mine was shot in the head. He's a police officer, and his wife and I are close friends as well. He was shot in such a way that the bullet glanced off his skull, but it splintered off into his frontal lobe, which required the doctors to remove a large bit of skull to allow the brain's swelling to go down. His brain is still swelling, now in April.

Anyway, on Sunday, I saw his wife at church, and sat with her, and afterwards, I asked about how he was doing, and she told me that their toddler had slept with them the night before, and she accidentally kicked him in the head, which rendered him unable to walk that morning. He was better in the afternoon, though.

What was really scary though was the other night, I saw all sorts of things on Facebook from both the news and his wife, that he'd been found unresponsive and was rushed to the hospital. It turned out that he'd had a seizure while his wife was out at their son's ballgame. She posted that he is ok, but cannot yet be left alone due the the unexpectedness of the seizures.

This is the first time I've ever had a friend who has been injured so severely; you hear about police officers getting hurt or injured all the time on the news. It's very different when the officer and his family are good friends and church members. Both he and his wife were close with my dad, and were both very supportive of my entire family when we were losing him.

Very sad. I hope he gets better! Hugs to you for being such a caring friend.
    When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Hope this comment isnt in a fracking zone but I see to many people not supporting the men and women in blue. They do a hard job and are required to get it right 100% of the time by the Monday morning couch quarterbacks. Good on you for being a caring friend, if you can making a simple meal and dropping it off can help free up time and be a good comfort letting them know they have support.

Comment

My aunt used to be married to a police officer who was killed on duty. She then married my uncle.

We live in an era of social media; anybody can interpret a situation how they want and get a mob together to protest or riot with little invested effort. I live in the area that was featured in a Netflix documentary that became a big pop-culture item; lots and lots of hate thrown our way. Funny thing is, if those people lived here during the trial and watched the news coverage, they would swear the guy who got convicted was guilty of sin.

I will say no more about said documentary or the case it was about--other than I knew the gal who got killed.

As for the OP--I really hope your friend is being looked at closely. Head injuries are not something to fuck with.
        Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

It may be months before things really improve and some deficits may be permanent.

Until the skull heals completely, the head must be protected.
          They say that God only gives us what we can handle. Apparently, God thinks I'm a bad ass.

Comment

Yeah, he has a helmet that he wears, although I've seen him take it off in church. Before he was shot, he and I would chat about cooking, with him giving me advice on how to make awesome frostings. I talked with him a couple of weeks ago, and he was telling me about the cognitive deficits now, and how they're affecting him, and we talked about having to find a new normal.

I'd had an accident a few years ago that severed a nerve in my leg, which of course, will never grow back, so having to readjust to the normal now is something I'm familiar with.

Comment

Prayers for him. Head injuries are scary.

Mine is/was not as bad as his, but I can still tell that things got messed up in there. Irv is right; they're nothing to be ignored.
              1129. I will refrain from casting Dimension Jump and Magnificent Mansion on every police box we pass.
              -----
              http://orchidcolors.livejournal.com (A blog about everything and nothing)

Comment

A quick update on this: his wife posted on Facebook this morning that he was going back to the hospital to have the portion of his skull put back in! She said it was going to be at 9AM, but I haven't heard any updates since then about how he's doing. It's hard for her to respond to all the texts and calls she's been getting, so she's, quite understandably, asked that we all wait for her to update us.

Comment

That is a big step in the right direction. Good thoughts and prayers heading their way.
                  Life is too short to not eat popcorn.
                  Save the Ales!
                  Toys for Tots at Rooster's Cafe

Comment

Working...
                  X