Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I'm not even sure where to start but this is.. bad. For me.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm not even sure where to start but this is.. bad. For me.

So a few months ago, I was at a job I loathed. My manager was causing me so much stress that I was going home crying and had to increase my anxiety medicine. My last week there, my stomach was twisting and I felt sick all the time. When I was a manager, my employees complained that I was nitpicking them to death. I finally know what they meant. Every single thing I did was always wrong. He didn't like the way I wrote, the way I answered the phone, the way I took messages, etc. You see, he was a first time manager at 29 years old. I tried to work it out with him and HR many times over the month and a half I was there.

At one point, I had changed my blood pressure medicine and had to take benadryl because someone was smoking pot (I'm extremely allergic to the point my throat starts to close). I didn't realize that it would have such a drastic reaction, and I started getting confused and my reactions were slowing. My blood pressure crashed on the way home and I nearly ended up in the hospital. I told my manager and apologized. The next day I was confronted by HR and by my manager. It could have stayed as a conversation. Instead, my manager chose to tell me off after the conversation via email.

Finally one day he printed out a certificate he had received from head office for his "excellent work", and left it on my desk for me to see.

And I just broke. I started crying, walked into HR and handed in my keys. HR convinced me to talk to the GM so I threw my manager under the bus. Including all the missing contracts, signatures, and cc authorizations in the file cabinet in the office. I don't know what happened after that.

This actually was bad for us. We almost had to cut out absolutely everything. But at the last minute the owners of that hotel I was telling you that I was fired from pulled through. I was offered a job with the wife working in accounting. Sounds good to me.

I was fine for the first couple weeks. Then my gut started hurting again. Not bad at first, but slowly increasing over weeks.

Then one day we were driving home and it just.... hurt. There's no words. We were going through a drive through for dinner and my husband saw my face and asked me if I needed to go to the hospital. I didn't even last to order food. I said yes.

By the time I got to the hospital tears were rolling down my face and I needed help to move because of the intensity of the pain. He had to lift me out of the car and help me walk in. I should mention, the pain was on my LEFT side, not my right. If it were my right side, it could have been appendicitis.

I was triaged. They gave me delotid (sp?) to calm down the pain and had me lay down. Then I had a cat scan and the doctor came back in.

They weren't sure why I had the pain on my left side but that would be an indication for Diverticulitis, a possible ectopic pregnancy, a cyst that burst, etc. My mother in law (whose a 30 year career nurse) said she really thinks it Diverticulitis since I had all the symptoms. An ectopic pregnancy or pregnancy at all would have been caught by the cat scan.

Turns out I have a very enlarged uterus and the doctor warned me about cancer. I haven't had my monthlies in at least a year. I had been wondering if I was going through early menopause but they don't seem to think so. They do think that I have fibroid tumors (non cancerous) or possibly cancerous tumors on it. Basically the emergency room doctor told me that it's so enlarged that I need to have it removed completely. I also have a cyst on my right ovary.

So there are several possibilities. I've been on antio-biotics for 7 days now to deal with the diverticulitus since my white blood cell count was elevated.

Right after this diagnosis, it was suggested that I take a pregnancy test just to be sure I'm not pregnant since my stomach/abdomen is rather solid to the touch. The first one came back positive and I had a panic attack so bad I started hyperventilating. I guess we know for a fact now that I am NOT someone that wants kids. The second test came back negative.

We don't have health care, we can't afford it. Even Obamacare in my state is less than helpful, it only saves us $115 a month total. We can't afford to pay the cost. The lowest cost is a $15,000 deductible. Who in hell has $15,000 sitting around doing nothing? And it's $150 a month per person. The reasonable one is $400 a month. For a $9000 deductible. Health care that wouldn't end up with us losing our home, or in debt for decades is the same price as the mortgage for my house.

The owners of the company we work for don't supply health care.

So we tried to contact University Medical Center. The earliest they can see me is June 30. There's a clinic in Bogalusa that could also help but the earliest they can see me is July 7.

If they want to take my uterus they can have it. Better than being dead. I just don't know how we are going to pay for it. I'm so very scared right now. Though everyone I talk to always says that the chances of it being cancer are so small that they are almost non existent due to the fact that I'm not quite 40.

Yeah, I'm 40 in 4 days. I'm too young for this shit.
    Last edited by EricKei; 05-11-2016, 01:30 AM. Reason: edited/removed some problematic phrasing

First, HUGS HUGS HUGS! I'm so sorry you're going through all of this shit! Second, can you check with the hospital and/or your doctor and see if the hospital has any kind of hardship fund? Some do. I know not everybody qualifies for the help, but it's a possibility, maybe?

Last, what about Medicaid? I don't know the criteria for that.

Praying for you that everything turns out all right, both your health and your insurance.
    When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

My husband applied for medicaid to see if we can get help. That was last week. We haven't heard anything but I'm betting that we make too much money. If it were just me, I'd qualify but it isn't.

They said "you can apply for financing". wtf? So I'm going to be in debt for life because I got sick? It's not like I did this on purpose.

Thanks Mooncat. I just feel so lost right now. I get very frustrated with the US but the only time I start thinking about going back to Canada is when it comes to health care. I just don't understand the mindset regarding health care here.

Comment

Sending prayers/thoughts your way.

For Medicaid: In Moirae's state, it should be based on household income (and possibly liquid assets) with no other requirements, IIRC. At least, it was 6~7 years ago when I got it there (in another state now, and still trying to get it here; each state has their own system). The time between my application (with proof of assets/income) and getting the card was maybe two weeks. Worth looking into.

As for the hospital delays: Ugh x.x You may wish to consider simply accepting the earliest date they can give you at both places (just in case), and be prepared to go via the ER if absolutely necessary, while looking into other care venues. You absolutely have valid reason to use it, tho the eventual cost could be fairly preposterous. They'll assess and (where needed...and for you it unquestionably is) treat you at the ER no matter what, even if they know you can't afford it. your health comes first, and their finance guys should be prepared to minimize the cost once you're in a condition where they can address the matter.
        Last edited by EricKei; 05-11-2016, 03:48 AM.
        "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
        "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
        "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
        "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
        "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
        "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
        Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
        "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Yeah $5000 preposterous. For two hours using a bed, 20 minutes for the doctor, painkiller, IV and the cat scan. We just got the bill for that emergency room visit that had me doubled over in pain so bad I could barely walk and crying like a baby because it hurt so bad.

Comment

Talk to their billing department, and explain that you're applying for Medicaid because your current financial situation calls for it --- they may be able to work with you, figure something out, etc...It's not like you had a choice in having to go there (plenty of folks go to the ER for colds), etc. Also, keep in mind that they KNOW that they will never be able to collect on most ER visits that aren't paid for up front/with insurance; that's part of why they're so damn expensive. In any case, if it does end up in collections eventually, tell them to contact y'all via snail mail only. Dealing with one less stressful call a month may help.
            "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
            "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
            "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
            "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
            "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
            "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
            Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
            "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

I know in some states you can't get medicaid as a woman unless you have kids (which sucks BIGTIME), this is why I don't have it.
              My Guide to Oblivion

"I resent the implication that I've gone mad, Sprocket."

Comment

Ever feel like banging your head against the wall? Now the AC has broken on our car. For the second time in 2 months. We've spent over $3000 on this car this year.

Comment

When dealing with the hospital and the various doctors, ask if they will match the agreed upon rate of one of the major insurance providers.
                  Life is too short to not eat popcorn.
                  Save the Ales!
                  Toys for Tots at Rooster's Cafe

Comment

Quoth Moirae View Post
                    Ever feel like banging your head against the wall? Now the AC has broken on our car. For the second time in 2 months. We've spent over $3000 on this car this year.
                    Now, that, I would take back to the mechanics and tell them to fix their mistakes. It shouldn't need to be fixed again that soon.
                    When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Quoth Tama View Post
                      I know in some states you can't get medicaid as a woman unless you have kids (which sucks BIGTIME), this is why I don't have it.
                      Here in Georgia, you can only get it if you're pregnant or have some kinds of serious illnesses such as cancer. There's a separate program that allows women to get reproductive health services (birth control, annual exams, STD screenings, etc) through Medicaid but I think you have to already have children to get that.
                      The fact that jellyfish have survived for 650 million years despite not having brains gives hope to many people.

You would have to be incredibly dense for the world to revolve around you.

Comment

I'm sorry. I hope you will get treated without going bankrupt.

Comment

Quoth MoonCat View Post
                          Now, that, I would take back to the mechanics and tell them to fix their mistakes. It shouldn't need to be fixed again that soon.
                          Amen to that!

Comment

You know, I tried to call Planned Parenthood trying to find out about a gynecologist, and suggestions. They are supposed to help with womens health and reproductive issues right? I got told "yeah, we don't do that". I hung up on her. Such help they were.

Comment

Moirae, I tried PP back in the day.

Didn't care for the experience.

Thought it was a one off thing, so tried again.

Hell to the no.
                              Unseen but seeing
                              oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
                              There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
                              3rd shift needs love, too
                              RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

Working...
                              X