X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• They finally get it - sort of.

So.

My grandmother left my mother about a quarter million dollars when she died (more precisely, the house sold for a million - the land had appreciated vastly in value over three decades - and there were four daughters it was divided between).

My brother had become partly disabled, so my parents effectively spent the money on keeping a business they had, thus enabling them to keep him employed. Essentially spending it all on him.
    I got nothing - despite having been fully disabled for more than a decade at that point.

Last week I gave Mum a call for mother's day. For the first time in the twenty-plus years that I've been disabled, she gets it. She was crying, upset because both my brother and I are now fully disabled, it's genetic, and she feels like it's her and Dad's fault.
    (A big change from implications that I wasn't trying hard enough to get well.)

And then she spoils it by bringing money into things, and making a fuss over how she and Dad have no money anymore.
    Seshat's self-help guide:
    1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
    2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
    3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
    4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

So, you have to wonder how sincere that was, if she started crying about money....ugh.
    When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Hugs. I don't know what else to say. That just sucks all around.
      At the conclusion of an Irish wedding, the priest said "Everybody please hug the person who has made your life worth living. The bartender was nearly crushed to death.

Comment

Quoth MoonCat View Post
        So, you have to wonder how sincere that was, if she started crying about money....ugh.
        I don't know, she may have been so upset she didn't realize how it sounded. (I've been guilty of that far too often, heaven knows.) And she probably did feel guilty for not giving anything to Seshat.
        I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
        My LiveJournal
        A page we can all agree with!

Comment

Working...
        X