This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scam Call (at home)

I got one of those scam calls about my computer having "viruses", and that they had to connect to it to prevent them, yada yada.

So I decided to have a little fun with them. The guy had the audacity to state that he worked for "Windows Help Desk", and then made an egregious error when I asked for the company's phone number. He said "it's 404-555, etc). Once I heard that 555, I told him that I knew he was a fake because of the fictional number - he apparently didn't realize that television shows use the 555 NPA, since it is an invalid number.

He then, under the guise of working for "Windows Help Desk", tell me that my voice was "sexy", and that he wanted to call me back multiple times! I told him that if he really worked for a company like that, he wouldn't give me a fictitious number, and wouldn't be so unprofessional.

And yes, both he and the previous rep that had originally placed the call, used foul language, which I told them was another dead giveaway. No legitimate company will be okay with their employees cursing at people.

Ugh, these idiots! I keep hoping I'll get one of these at work
    When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Quoth MoonCat View Post
      I keep hoping I'll get one of these at work
      Unfortunately, when I deal with those idiots at work...I'm not allowed to be rude to them. However, if they call my house...
      Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines. --Enzo Ferrari

Comment

My Grandma got one of them a while ago. (She doesn't have a computer)

She decided to have some fun and told the guy that any questions he had would have to be answered by the cat, so she'd relay the information between the scammer and the cat, and interpreted the "meows" as "Nope, the Cat says we can't do that".

He eventually hung up, I don't know if he thought she was being serious or not, but, mission accomplished, he didn't get a thing out of her.
        - They say nothing good happens at 2AM, they're right, I happen at 2AM.

Comment

I am sort of glad that my deceased GF's landline is not longer active and I do not have to deal with alllllllll of the scam calls. This was the only one I REALLY wanted to fuck with.
          I'm lost without a paddle and headed up SH*T creek.
          -- Life Sucks Then You Die.

"I'll believe corp. are people when Texas executes one."

Comment

I wasn't home when this happened, but apparently, the last time one of those scammers got ahold of my husband (who works in IT), he just started yelling at them over and over to go fuck themselves.

Comment

I think my sister (Bardmaiden) has told this story before but here goes.

My partner gets the scammer calling and decides to string them along for a while, he grabs his 'work' computer and installs the stuff on they want him to. He traces them and suddenly the guys pc freezes. Oops! Then the network is suddenly having issues. The guy on the phone goes 'We'll call you back later'.

He forwarded the information he got from the company on to some friends in the security business with Law enforcement contacts.

Messing with a (retired) Grey Hat is a bad idea.
              As soon as I start thinking
              That I'm sensible and sane
              The Random Hedgehog comes along
              And fiddles with my Brain
              (from card I got)

Comment

I got a call from one of them and started laughing as soon as he said where he was calling from. He said it was the "Microsoft and Mac Internet Security Department." I told him that it was about time they updated their scam script and hung up on him while I was still laughing.

Comment

Working...
                X