This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ignoring your car makes bad things happen

Mr. Mathnerd's daughter got married last weekend. For a bunch of reasons, her car wound up at my house this week while she was on her honeymoon. Mr. Mathnerd, being a wonderful and loving father, took the opportunity to inspect her car and make sure everything was okay. It's a 2000 model year, so of course things go wrong from time to time. Given that this is almost the same engine as my old Civic (hers is one model year newer but basically the same engine, but an automatic), and I spent untold hundreds of hours keeping my old car on the road and know that engine like the back of my hand, he asked me to help.

Well, everything was not okay. In fact, she came perilously close to disaster. So close, in fact, that I'm shocked she didn't blow up her engine on the drive to our house. It's pretty much not safe to drive more than a mile or so. There's a small gash in the power steering inlet hose spilling fluid everywhere, and almost none in the reservoir, nearly all the engine seals have at least a small leak and there was only about a half quart left in the engine, and the radiator was almost empty. Oh, and the spark plug wires are quite literally falling apart. I'm not even sure how the wire to cylinder 2 is still functioning.

How do you not notice these things??? We asked her when was the last time she changed her oil. Her response was "I don't remember. I'm sure it's overdue". UGH.

So my PSA for the day is this: If you drive an older car, please pay attention! It's really scary how close Mr. Mathnerd's daughter came to disaster simply because she wasn't looking under the hood once or twice a month. We're nervous to even let her drive the thing home without getting it fixed (need to acquire parts). Both Mr. Mathnerd and I nearly had a heart attack when we realized just how bad it was and how much trouble she could have gotten in if any of those things had gotten even a tiny amount worse.
    At the conclusion of an Irish wedding, the priest said "Everybody please hug the person who has made your life worth living. The bartender was nearly crushed to death.

I currently drive a 2000 model year car (picked it up 2 years ago 85K on the clock). It sat for say a year as it was part of an estate. YUP things go wrong and with my job I have to keep a close eye on things or I lose shifts AND have to spend lots of $$$'s

My last car was a 2000 model year car (bought in 2008 with 35K on the clock sold it 2 years ago with 193K on the clock). bought it from a dealer lot. Even this did not prevent things from going wrong and stuff that cost LOTS of $$$$$'s.

Most of the time I will not cheap out and "just let things go".
    I'm lost without a paddle and headed up SH*T creek.
    -- Life Sucks Then You Die.

"I'll believe corp. are people when Texas executes one."

Comment

Old cars, news cars, they ALL need to be maintained.

You have three basic choices;
      1. Learn and do it yourself.
      2. Pay someone else to do it.
      3. Watch the car self destruct.

Looks like Mr Mathnerd's daughter chose #3.
      Life is too short to not eat popcorn.
      Save the Ales!
      Toys for Tots at Rooster's Cafe

Comment

My in-laws have an '03 Grand Cherokee that recently had to have the engine replaced because my mother-in-law never got the oil changed. My father-in-law's a truck driver and is gone for a month at a time so he couldn't ever really get it done, and after a few years, the engine just blew. The only other two cars they have were my father-in-law's dad's that he inherited, and he wasn't happy with letting his wife drive them after what she did to the Grand Cherokee.
        The fact that jellyfish have survived for 650 million years despite not having brains gives hope to many people.

You would have to be incredibly dense for the world to revolve around you.

Comment

She proved that oil changes are a waste of money. After all, the oil DID last for the life of the engine.
          Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Quoth wolfie View Post
            She proved that oil changes are a waste of money. After all, the oil DID last for the life of the engine.
            lol. Well, she didn't quite blow it up, but close. We have it so it won't blow up in the next day or two, so hopefully she'll keep a close eye on it until next weekend when we have the parts and time to really fix it. Some of the parts needed to be ordered.
            At the conclusion of an Irish wedding, the priest said "Everybody please hug the person who has made your life worth living. The bartender was nearly crushed to death.

Comment

I drive a 2005 Accord that has over 170K miles on it. I'm hoping that it'll last me another 170K. I get the oil and stuff done regularly, but it seems like more and more stuff that's engine-related is gradually starting to fail. I've recently had to replace my alternator. I've also within the past two years, had BOTH O2 sensors replaced (one twice, IIRC), and my wiper motor replaced.

Though the repair shop did tell me the seals and such are still in good shape, and they didn't see any leaks, so I'm crossing my fingers for another 200K miles. I just don't want another car payment...
              Skilled programmers aren't cheap. Cheap programmers aren't skilled.

Comment

Quoth csquared View Post
                Old cars, news cars, they ALL need to be maintained.

You have three basic choices;
                1. Learn and do it yourself.
                2. Pay someone else to do it.
                3. Watch the car self destruct.

Looks like Mr Mathnerd's daughter chose #3.
                The stupid thing is that Mr. Mathnerd will do all the work for free. All she has to do is buy the parts and get the car to him. But she's been fussed at by both her father and her uncle (who actually is a professional mechanic) about keeping an eye on basic maintenance so she knows when there actually is a problem so we can fix it for her. How many people have not one but *three* people who are willing to fix her car for free?

Comment

Quoth mathnerd View Post
                  ... have not one but *three* people who are willing to fix her car for free?
                  ... she's three, three times a lazy?
                  I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
                  Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
                  Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Ignoring your car makes me money, carry on.
                    - They say nothing good happens at 2AM, they're right, I happen at 2AM.

Comment

Hey, my car is still in its original front pads . I may replace them and flush the brake fluid just because this summer. I also really should flush the transaxle and inverter fluids this year. It's just shy of 160k miles and could use a change. I do love me some hybrid power train!
                      But the paint on me is beginning to dry
                      And it's not what I wanted to be
                      The weight on me
                      Is Hanging on to a weary angel - Sister Hazel

Comment

Quoth Argabarga View Post
                        Ignoring your car makes me money, carry on.
                        At least in this case, your colleagues in SoCal. I laughed harder than I should because after we got a temporary fix on the power steering line that had a massive crack in it (source of the leak) and the engine filled back up with oil, and then giving her a lecture about maintenance, the first thing Mr. Mathnerd said was "how far will your AAA membership tow you?" She's going to take her car back this week, but she really needs to get that hose replaced tomorrow, and since she doesn't want to leave it with us a few more days, she'll have to pay somebody to do it, which she probably won't and he's worried about a catastrophic failure. But she's a 31 year old woman, so we can't force her. At least she'll bring it back for us to take care of the rest of the stuff next weekend.

Comment

If she bought basic coverage, 3 miles, or the closest AAA affiliated service center. Whichever is closest.

Want to go someplace else? Two bucks and change per mile, and you pay-out-of-pocket on all of it.

If she bought plus coverage, it goes up to 100.

Premier is unlimited.
                          - They say nothing good happens at 2AM, they're right, I happen at 2AM.

Comment

Working...
                          X