X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth Food Lady View Post
    You want the diabeetus.
    Just make it happen. *slaps a 20 on the counter
    Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

It's a human characteristic to see things through the lens of your own experience, unfortunately. I don't know what it's like to live in a refugee camp and have to choose between gathering wood and feeding my family while risking being raped, or staying safe and letting my kids go hungry. I was shocked when I heard (from solar cookers international) that this is a real issue. I'd never thought it about it, and that saddens me to this day.

Same thing happens when people who have paid sick days and don't have to work multiple jobs have no idea what it's like to be forced to work when ill. They're shocked when they hear it, because it is foreign to their experience. I have an aunt (my marriage) who was for a while convinced my uncle HAD to be hiding money because they could only meet their basic needs and pay the bills, but not do all the expensive things she'd done growing up. Having grown up in a more wealthy family, she didn't have any experience to teach her that "just breaking even" was actually a thing. She eventually figured it out and they're still married.

The best we can do is try to keep our own eyes open, own our own ignorance of those who have it worse than we do, and try to listen to their stories. Maybe something will break into the bubble of those more privileged than us, maybe it won't, but we're all privileged compared to someone.
      Last edited by WishfulSpirit; 06-13-2016, 05:54 AM.
      "I try to be curious about everything, even things that don't interest me." -Alex Trebek

Comment

At my last workplace there was a time when the company produced 4 magazines. One of them was a bi-weekly one, so I've heard stories from my coworkers about how they had to stay longer, maybe even overnight, just so that their articles could make it to press. Being naive, I was shocked. I didn't realize how much work went into a single issue, nor did I know how swamped they were because of the magazine's bi-weekly status.

So it was a huge relief when the company decided to just maintain that magazine's website, and, later on, bring it back as a quarterly (or monthly) magazine, rather than as a bi-weekly one.
        cindybubbles (👧 ❤️ 🎂 )

Enter Cindyland here!

Comment

I don't understand people like this either... at the current point in time, I consider myself rather privileged. I have a very good job I enjoy that often has OT available so I can make more money to buy stupid things.

But it wasn't always like that. Hasn't everyone had a shit job as a young person? Even if you don't have to live on your salary - I did - hasn't everyone had the experience of standing on your feet until they are freakin' killing you and you just want to go home? Hasn't everyone desperately wanted a drink and just couldn't get one because it was too busy? Hasn't everyone dealt with CUSTOMERS?

I wish I could be so rich that I never experienced such things.

Comment

Quoth Aria View Post
            Hasn't everyone had a shit job as a young person?
            No. I actually went to HS with a few people like this. And I'm quite sure there are kids who go to college who don't work, either.
            Skilled programmers aren't cheap. Cheap programmers aren't skilled.

Comment

Depends on what you mean by a "shit job". I was a dishwasher and library desk worker in college... After college, I got my dream job (didn't know it was my dream job until I interviewed for it) and stayed there for many many years...
              “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged.
              One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world.
              The other, of course, involves orcs." -- John Rogers

Comment

Quoth Aria View Post
                I don't understand people like this either... at the current point in time, I consider myself rather privileged. I have a very good job I enjoy that often has OT available so I can make more money to buy stupid things.

But it wasn't always like that. Hasn't everyone had a shit job as a young person? Even if you don't have to live on your salary - I did - hasn't everyone had the experience of standing on your feet until they are freakin' killing you and you just want to go home? Hasn't everyone desperately wanted a drink and just couldn't get one because it was too busy? Hasn't everyone dealt with CUSTOMERS?

I wish I could be so rich that I never experienced such things.
                I've had a bad boss, but not a bad job. I'd say that the work was fun, but it was the people who can make things sweet or sour.

I've never had a job where I've been on my feet for so long, but my mother has. She was a nurse who had to work shifts just to pay the bills and have some left over for rainy days.

As for me, I've only mostly dealt with the staff when I worked as a bartender/cashier at the buffet restaurants run by my dad and his friends. I only dealt with one customer: Ms. Peking Duck Lady.

So far, I don't think I can even catch up to you all when it comes to experience in retail. You guys rock!
                cindybubbles (👧 ❤️ 🎂 )

Enter Cindyland here!

Comment

Quoth Irving Patrick Freleigh View Post
                  Just make it happen. *slaps a 20 on the counter
                  https://pics.onsizzle.com/o2016-bot-...ou-2774774.png
                  "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

Quoth April View Post
                    The other fun thing, is people say "But you work a desk job, why are you tired?"

um because I work my ass off. and just because it's at a desk, doesn't mean it's easy. Like yeah, it doesn't physically wear me out, but it is mentally draining. I work in a correctional facility. that means that I have to try and figure out criminal thinking, deal with behavioral issues, shut down a client who is screaming obscenities at me, contact community resources, create case plans, deal with outside agencies, etc etc etc.
                    Working a desk job does have a physical component; stress does elevate your adrenaline levels, increase your resting heart rate, and create greater oxygen demand. You're not hauling pallets of boxes up and down a warehouse, but it still burdens the body.

I had a really crappy Friday last week trying to get all my ducks in a row for the weekend; by the end of that day, I didn't want to do anything more strenuous than park the car. The hill leading to my apartment was like a mountain. (My mother pointed out that low-grade stress is one reason that driving can be physically fatiguing, as well - when you're driving, you go into a sort of "always on" mode.)

I never let anyone try to invalidate my fatigue.

Comment

Quoth Ben_Who View Post

I never let anyone try to invalidate my fatigue.
                      Exactly. And I don't let anyone invalidate my pain, either. (My boss tries, though.)
                      "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

Working...
                      X