This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What did I do wrong?????

I am starting to feel under attack! Here's what has gone on in the past 24 hours ....

Yesterday, my yard guy "fired" me due to a misunderstanding.

Today, I only have 2 people scheduled to close with me at work. One of them gets injured (not her fault) and spends almost 3 hours at Urgent Care. Thirty minutes before we close, a ceiling a/c unit springs a leak. We have to clear the shelves, clean up the water, and I put in a service request. Thanks Ryan for telling me how to do that!

I go home and my power is out. Just mine ... no one else on the street. I call the power company, they tell me there is only ONE person in my entire county with no power (guess who?) I check the breaker box (outside - why? why is it outside????), using my phone for light (it's 10pm), it looks okay to me. I talk to the neighbor, her husband brings over a flashlight to take a better look at the breaker box. He finds that the main breaker has been switched to the "off" position. Why? I don't know ... I've been gone from home for 9 hours :/

So I call the power company back and tell them, sorry I'm stupid All is well, right?

Oh no boys and girls ... now my computer decides that it is going to randomly shut itself off ... and on ... and off ... and on.

Can I get a break? Or at least a LARGE glass of wine????

Oh my. That's just plain awful. I'm so sorry.
    Customers should always be served . . . to the nearest great white.

Comment

Quoth Teefies2 View Post
      I go home and my power is out. Just mine ... no one else on the street. I call the power company, they tell me there is only ONE person in my entire county with no power (guess who?) I check the breaker box (outside - why? why is it outside????), using my phone for light (it's 10pm), it looks okay to me. I talk to the neighbor, her husband brings over a flashlight to take a better look at the breaker box. He finds that the main breaker has been switched to the "off" position. Why? I don't know ... I've been gone from home for 9 hours :/
      This may be my love for horror movies speaking but this sounds EXTREMELY sketchy. I'd be spending the night away from home.

As for the breaker box being outside, I've only lived in two places where it wasn't, so that's not really an unusual thing for me. Inconvenient sometimes, but not unusual.
      The fact that jellyfish have survived for 650 million years despite not having brains gives hope to many people.

You would have to be incredibly dense for the world to revolve around you.

Comment

Quoth Aragarthiel View Post
        This may be my love for horror movies speaking but this sounds EXTREMELY sketchy. I'd be spending the night away from home.
        The calls are coming from inside the house!

Quoth Aragarthiel View Post
        As for the breaker box being outside, I've only lived in two places where it wasn't, so that's not really an unusual thing for me. Inconvenient sometimes, but not unusual.
        Where I'm living now is the first time I can ever remember having the breakers indoors.
        Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, you speak with the Fraud department. -- CrazedClerkthe2nd
        OW! Rolled my eyes too hard, saw my brain. -- Seanette
        she seems to top me in crazy, and I'm enough crazy for my family. -- Cooper
        Yes, I am evil. What's your point? -- Jester

Comment

Regarding the main breaker being turned off, could it have been a parting shot from the yard guy? Some people are petty like that.
          "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

Quoth Ironclad Alibi View Post
            Regarding the main breaker being turned off, could it have been a parting shot from the yard guy? Some people are petty like that.
            While I agree some people are petty, the yard guy is the same neighbor who came over and discovered my main breaker was turned off. Plus, we worked out the misunderstanding. My vote is for the guy behind me who is still mad at the previous tenant for .... whatever

He's been sneaking around here and doing random things like moving my deck chairs off the deck and into the yard, upsetting the garbage cans, petty shit like that. Several of my neighbors have seen him do this crap. The cops have been alerted and are, as of today, patrolling my street at night when I'm at work.

Comment

Quoth Teefies2 View Post
              My vote is for the guy behind me who is still mad at the previous tenant for .... whatever

He's been sneaking around here and doing random things like moving my deck chairs off the deck and into the yard, upsetting the garbage cans, petty shit like that.
              He's mad at the previous tenant, so he's taking it out on you, who had nothing to do with the squabble. I hope the cops catch him and arrest him. A little time in the Greybar Motel should get his head straightened out.
              I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
              My LiveJournal
              A page we can all agree with!

Comment

Quoth Teefies2 View Post
                Can I get a break? Or at least a LARGE glass of wine????
                Offers you a glass of wine, and a living couch (hey, I'm a centaur, at least online), "Hmmm, any way to secure the breaker such as lock the panel. Its been a while since VoTech (electrician and industrial motor control training), but as I recall, as long as you don't stop the breaker from functioning, you can secure it, such as locking the cabinet. Does the door have a hasp? If not, might touch base with an electrician, and see what they would charge to put one in. You could do it yourself, but obviously there are things that can go wrong, so depending on your familiarity with electrical work, you might want to hire someone.

As to the neighbor issue, I'm assuming your property isn't fenced or anything so you can lock them out?
                Last edited by EricKei; 08-06-2016, 11:43 AM. Reason: trimmed quote
                Seph
                Taur10
                "You're supposed to be the head of covert intelligence. Right now, I'm not seeing a hell of a lot of intelligence. Covert, overt, or otherwise!"-Lochley, B5, A View from the Gallery

Comment

Quoth XCashier View Post
                  He's mad at the previous tenant, so he's taking it out on you, who had nothing to do with the squabble. I hope the cops catch him and arrest him. A little time in the Greybar Motel should get his head straightened out.
                  He might not know that someone else has moved in. Then again, that would still imply rational thought where probably none exists.

Comment

Quoth CyberLurch View Post
                    He might not know that someone else has moved in. Then again, that would still imply rational thought where probably none exists.
                    So much this!

The story is further complicated by the fact that the previous tenant (who this guy is mad at) is the mother of the disabled guy next door. The guy next door is certifiably crazy, as in ....

He set his kitchen on fire, so his family pulled out all the appliances. He wanders up and down the street having conversations with who knows who/what. He sometimes forgets to dress before he comes outside His brother owns the house, and he screams at his brother "Let me out of here!" every time said brother comes over. His mother has to bring him his meals (cause, yanno, he can't cook anything in a kitchen that has no appliances). I'm beginning to think it was *neighbor* who turned off my breakers. Because he's weird enough to do something like that .... "my mom doesn't live here anymore, so the house doesn't need power"

Sigh ... I love the house, but I don't know how much more of this I can take.

Comment

Quoth Javarod View Post
                      Offers you a glass of wine, and a living couch (hey, I'm a centaur, at least online), "Hmmm, any way to secure the breaker such as lock the panel. Its been a while since VoTech (electrician and industrial motor control training), but as I recall, as long as you don't stop the breaker from functioning, you can secure it, such as locking the cabinet. Does the door have a hasp? If not, might touch base with an electrician, and see what they would charge to put one in. You could do it yourself, but obviously there are things that can go wrong, so depending on your familiarity with electrical work, you might want to hire someone.

As to the neighbor issue, I'm assuming your property isn't fenced or anything so you can lock them out?
                      :::enjoys glass of excellent cyber-wine:::: thankee! Yes I need to lock the breaker box and will do that this weekend when I'm off work (OMG I work retail and I somehow scored an ENTIRE weekend off!)

The property is "fenced" but it's one of those 4 foot high chain link deals ... anyone can jump it

Comment

Quoth Teefies2 View Post
                        :::enjoys glass of excellent cyber-wine:::: thankee! Yes I need to lock the breaker box and will do that this weekend when I'm off work (OMG I work retail and I somehow scored an ENTIRE weekend off!)

The property is "fenced" but it's one of those 4 foot high chain link deals ... anyone can jump it
                        True, they can jump it, but locks can be surprisingly effective even then, either because they can't jump/climb it, or because they won't go past a locked gate. Heck, I stopped people from stealing from my car by locking the doors, even though I had a window missing. People are weird that way.
                        Seph
                        Taur10
                        "You're supposed to be the head of covert intelligence. Right now, I'm not seeing a hell of a lot of intelligence. Covert, overt, or otherwise!"-Lochley, B5, A View from the Gallery

Comment

Quoth Javarod View Post
                          True, they can jump it, but locks can be surprisingly effective even then, either because they can't jump/climb it, or because they won't go past a locked gate. Heck, I stopped people from stealing from my car by locking the doors, even though I had a window missing. People are weird that way.
                          Good point

Comment

Working...
                          X