This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Baby Sumo Wrestler has come!

So, I'm an auntie now ! Sis has given birth to this giant 10 lb baby. I can't post pics of him cuz she's says no (she's very private, like me) but he's huge and looks just like a fat little sumo wrestler. He's also very energetic, has a healthy set of lungs. I pinched his little fat feet and he kicked HARD at me Like hyahhhh!! He's got light eyes which is odd cuz Sis has dark eyes ( i thought dark was the dominant gene?) much to Sis's pleasure. Dad is thrilled to have a grandson at last, now he's starting on me to have children (no thanks!) even more than ever (thanks Sis. Thanks a lot.)
    I'm going to be the aunt that pinches their nephew's cheeks (not hard, though, I hated that when I was a kid) and he can come to me for food when older of course.
    Can't reason with the unreasonable.
    The only thing worse than not getting hired is getting hired.

Congrats! I haven't yet had the opportunity to experience aunt-hood but from what I hear, it's loads of fun.

Quoth HotelMinion View Post
    He's got light eyes which is odd
    Babies are almost always born with blue or blue-gray eyes, and they darken over time. My daughter's were a kind of dark blue-gray that looked almost navy, but they've actually lightened since then and now she has her daddy's blue eyes.
    The fact that jellyfish have survived for 650 million years despite not having brains gives hope to many people.

You would have to be incredibly dense for the world to revolve around you.

Comment

It's been a while since my last science class, but...

Another possibility could be this: If Mom has one eye color gene for dark and one for light (one possibility with one dark eyed parent, one light-eyed parent), and Dad is double-recessive light eyed, the kid could wind up as light eyed (1 in 4 chance)...non?
      "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
      "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
      "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
      "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
      "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
      "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
      Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
      "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

I was born with blue eyes and blond hair. Both darkened during grade school, and have been brown since before I started high school.

My brother kept both blue eyes and blond hair (and a full head of it, even; I've been losing it since I was 15).
        Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, you speak with the Fraud department. -- CrazedClerkthe2nd
        OW! Rolled my eyes too hard, saw my brain. -- Seanette
        she seems to top me in crazy, and I'm enough crazy for my family. -- Cooper
        Yes, I am evil. What's your point? -- Jester

Comment

If I remember high school biology correctly, the gene for dark eyes is dominant. Which means that one or both dark eyed parents could have one gene for light colored eyes, which is the 1 in 4 chance for offspring with light colored eyes. If one parent has light eyes and one has a masked recessive, the odds are 50/50.
          You're only delaying the inevitable, you run at your own expense. The repo man gets paid to chase you. ~Argabarga

Comment

Woohoo!!! Conga rats, being an auntie is the best!

Comment

I know i have a blue eye gene. dad had blackish brown hair and blue eyes mom had light brown hair and brown eyes. My brother is blonde blue eyes, meimei is light light brown (i dont think its blonde its more brown than blonde) green eyes (mutation!) and i have almost black hair and brown eyes. I am also a few shades darker in terms of skin tone. Meimei and the boy both where born with blue eyes, i was born with brown.

My baby pictures look like the pictures of native babies from the turn of the century (especially as i was swaddled alot for those pictures) where the boy is like all american dream child and meimei a little princess. But i had cousins born with blue eyes who wound up with darker brown.

Comment

My family's tendency is for bright blonde hair (almost white for some of us) as kids, which darkens later. Eyes -- well, mine were reportedly hazel/varying at random from the beginning, and they still are
                "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
                "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
                Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
                "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Congrats, HM! Just remember, the job of an aunt is to spoil the everliving crap out of the nieces and nephews. Have fun!
                  "And though she be but little, she is FIERCE!"--Shakespeare

Comment

Quoth EricKei View Post
                    It's been a while since my last science class, but...

Another possibility could be this: If Mom has one eye color gene for dark and one for light (one possibility with one dark eyed parent, one light-eyed parent), and Dad is double-recessive light eyed, the kid could wind up as light eyed (1 in 4 chance)...non?
                    Sounds about right. My dad had blue eyes, my mom's were dark brown. Out of four kids, my brother and I (born first and second) had/have brown and my two younger sisters both have blue.

Also congrats HotelMinion!!
                    When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Quoth BrenDAnn View Post
                      Congrats, HM! Just remember, the job of an aunt is to spoil the everliving crap out of the nieces and nephews. Have fun!
                      That's the grandparents' job. The aunt & uncle are supposed to be fun, something else entirely. (I'm Uncle Jungle Gym for my brother's kids.)
                      Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, you speak with the Fraud department. -- CrazedClerkthe2nd
                      OW! Rolled my eyes too hard, saw my brain. -- Seanette
                      she seems to top me in crazy, and I'm enough crazy for my family. -- Cooper
                      Yes, I am evil. What's your point? -- Jester

Comment

Oh ok. I thought both parents had to have light eyes for the baby to, or have a recessive gene.. As far as I can trace my family, we were all born with dark eyes (and stayed that way) so I thought Sis wasn't a carrier, but maybe she is? IDK. I never got genes when I studied in high school. Biology was only fun with actual lab experiments. :\ Sis's BF has light eyes so I guess it's from him.

Quoth Deserted View Post
                        That's the grandparents' job. The aunt & uncle are supposed to be fun, something else entirely. (I'm Uncle Jungle Gym for my brother's kids.)
                        My aunts and uncles were mostly stoic so I hope I'm not. I plan to always make sure my new nephew gets fed well when he's older, since I know teen boys inhale their food and eat a lot when growing.

Also, he's really strong for a newborn. I thought newborns as frail, so I gave him my finger to wrap his little hand around, thinking aw how cute. Nope! He wrenched my finger hard! Are newborns supposed to be this strong? He is a big baby. :\ Little Hercules.
                        Last edited by HotelMinion; 08-15-2016, 06:02 AM.
                        Can't reason with the unreasonable.
                        The only thing worse than not getting hired is getting hired.

Comment

My dad has brown eyes but my mom's are green. I have green eyes like her, so Dad must have had a recessive gene in there.
                          "I try to be curious about everything, even things that don't interest me." -Alex Trebek

Comment

Congrats! Although I am an auntie, my nephews (yes only boys!) are all too far away for me to spoil. But spoiling can take different forms. I tend to send OMG FUN! presents Even though all but one are grown now, I still send them fun stuff like restaurant gift cards (to take your girlfriend to) or sports tickets (enjoy the game). Be creative!!!

Comment

Working...
                            X