Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well, since those quakes were just over two centuries ago...

The midwest isn't built to deal with quakes; they don't have the building codes that help buildings survive good-sized temblors. Also, the middle part of the country is more or less one large slab of rock, as opposed to the little shreds and scraps that make up California. (Mostly bits of the ocean floor scraped off as it subducts under the North American plate.) So it all shakes as one piece, and has significant effects much further away than out here.

Of course, we don't have nearly as many tornadoes out here in CA. Everywhere has Bad Stuff that happens there...
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged.
    One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world.
    The other, of course, involves orcs." -- John Rogers

Comment

We had a very small earthquake last night... I wish this wouldn't happen right as I was falling asleep. Very annoying. This one I barely felt, but my building creaked. I don't feel good about this house in a quake. It was built in 1907, and the gas pipes enter the house right next to my unit. Also my bedroom used to be the front porch. Maybe it would just break off and I could grab the cat and run from the inevitable explosion?
      Replace anger management with stupidity management.

Comment

Looks like the Corp. Commission of OK and the EPA are shutting down as many waste water injection wells as they can in the 725 sq mile area around the epicenter. i think they are finally understanding what is causing the quakes and may make them stop......
        This is a drama-free zone; violators will be slapped. -Irving Patrick Freleigh
        my blog:http://steeledragon.wordpress.com/

Comment

Desert Hell had an earthquake... uh... either earlier this year or late last year, and it was the first one I've ever been in that I actually felt. And I spent 3-1/2 years in San Diego!
          Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, you speak with the Fraud department. -- CrazedClerkthe2nd
          OW! Rolled my eyes too hard, saw my brain. -- Seanette
          she seems to top me in crazy, and I'm enough crazy for my family. -- Cooper
          Yes, I am evil. What's your point? -- Jester

Comment

Working...
          X