X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Digital textbook mini rant

I just need to vent a bit.

When I was looking at textbooks for this semester, I found that I could spend less than half as much if I got two of my books as digital (the third was only offered paperback). I guess they proved you get what you pay for- the spacing and typos in one of the books make it really hard to read. Since it's coding I'm fortunate that the line numbers are shown so I know what goes where, and spelling is pretty intuitive for me anyway.

That's not my biggest problem though. After a really busy week, what with a hurricane coming through, chores/toddler-keeping, errands, back-and-forth fights with insomnia, and trying to figure out what day of the week it was, I couldn't get one of my assignments done until the very last minute (like an hour to go). It would have taken a lot less time if the problems I had to do were, you know, NUMBERED, and maybe adding some spacing would help.

To clarify, Problem #1 was written as two paragraphs, the second one line below the first. Problem #2 started one line below Problem #1 without a line break or anything, so without the numbering, it looked like the same problem. I had to do Problem #3, which meant reading the problems, figuring out which paragraphs were part of the same problem, and hoping I got it right. I didn't have time to email my teacher or any classmates about it but I'm going to make sure I do in the future.

Oy.
    The fact that jellyfish have survived for 650 million years despite not having brains gives hope to many people.

You would have to be incredibly dense for the world to revolve around you.

That's just sad. You'd think they would have just taken the PDF used to produce the phsycial book and sold that to you guys digitally o_O So much simpler -- and cheaper! -- than trying to do a half-ass edit on the one you got.
    "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
    "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
    "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
    "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
    "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
    "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
    Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
    "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Working...
    X