This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wait....WHAT?!

I got over this pretty much instantly but I still need to rant about it.

About 2 weeks ago, I met a customer who used to work for Big Computer Company and was now retired with a consulting biz. He was a Mac person exclusively, I'm a PC person with a few certs he doesn't have...he had an idea that the two of us could partner up.

I'm still not completely sure about it all especially the taxes part (got mildly hosed by a 1099 employer recently and don't want to go through that again) but if there's a way I can work directly with the clients he can't (which is what it sounds like he's willing to do)...we exchange LinkedIn profiles. I send a connection request that night, which goes ignored. Then I call him at his request and we talk shop for a while and set up a time to meet for coffee.

He emails me twice in the interim: "Do you live alone?" and "How late can I call you?" He wanted me to help him build a PC, so I assume those questions have something to do with that. I replied that I lived with my mom, and I prefer to do client computer builds at their residence.

My reply to the "how late can I call you" question is basically that my work schedule is very erratic and while I do have a cell phone it's easier for me to reply to text messages rather than calls unless there is a time set up in advance...which is the truth.

So on Sunday I show up at the local not-Starbucks at the appointed hour (noon) and wait. And wait. A call goes unanswered. I'm able to hang around until 1PM on the offchance that "noon" was misheard as "one" and then I have to leave.

He never had any intention of meeting with me, as I found out from a fairly rambling, vitriolic email timestamped later that day (about 5PM).

The whole thing had a condescending "this is how things work in the real world" tone (spoken as if I ignored his emails which I did not), among the verbiage was this gem:

"When I asked you 'how late can I call you' I was referring to discussing a computer build. I wanted to know if you live alone because I wanted to know if I would be able to bring parts over" [an odd request in itself, all builds I have done are at the client's house to cut down on assorted problems; and I answered both questions truthfully] "If you are thinking that I want anything more than a platonic relationship with you, that is unacceptable."

What the FUCK, dude?! You said it, not me. You're twice my age, and I'm highly offended that you would even IMPLY that I'm like that.

*insert enraged wolf pic here*

Okay, I won't ever contact you again and you've sworn to avoid me. Fine by me. I don't need that kind of bullshit.

The more I think about this, the more I feel I dodged a landmine with this guy. From the first phone conversation it seemed a bit off...somehow too many things in common even for two computer nerds and there was something else I just can't put my paw on. Either way, any kind of employment/business partner situation would have ended badly.
    "I am quite confident that I do exist."
    "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

There is only one thing I can say to this:

What. The. Fuck.

That is all.
    Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, you speak with the Fraud department. -- CrazedClerkthe2nd
    OW! Rolled my eyes too hard, saw my brain. -- Seanette
    she seems to top me in crazy, and I'm enough crazy for my family. -- Cooper
    Yes, I am evil. What's your point? -- Jester

Comment

Exactly. I didn't even read the entirety of that email...I don't think I want to get into the thought processes that turned "erratic work schedule, texting is better" into...eeek. (the entire email was about four paragraphs and had a vague holier-than-thou vibe and bizarre formal style)

During the initial phone convo, Aspergers came up and he was like "oh I'm interested in knowing more". I now wonder if he decided to Google it and cottoned on to all of the negative crap, but still. There are acceptable ways of asking for clarification and bowing out of a meeting, and then that....wherever that came from.

I've washed my hands of him...although methinks I'll be monitoring my few social media accounts (at least the ones under my real name) a bit closer for awhile.

Comment

See, I have a nasty, suspicious gutter mind sometimes and some cynical part of me thinks that he was the one looking for something other than a platonic/working relationship, because (1) I don't see why you living with anyone else means he couldn't bring parts over; (2) you told him you prefer to do computer builds at the client's residence (which makes a lot more sense even to a layman like me); and (3) your gut told you something was off right from the start.

I think he got ticked that you didn't give him the answers he wanted and he sensed that you weren't picking up any hints he'd put out, so he tried to save face by blaming you for his decision to back away. I see nothing at all misleading or suggestive about what you said to him; but his questions were odd, and I think you definitely dodged a bullet there.
        When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

I was actually thinking that too... From the email he struck me as very controlling, my-way-or-the-highway and the 'coincidences' of the initial phone call were just too perfect (my original major was lighting design...he was a 'famous' lighting designer for some of the city's bigger theaters but he wouldn't give the names of venues or productions that I could look up).

Comment

Quoth Dreamstalker View Post
            I was actually thinking that too... From the email he struck me as very controlling, my-way-or-the-highway and the 'coincidences' of the initial phone call were just too perfect (my original major was lighting design...he was a 'famous' lighting designer for some of the city's bigger theaters but he wouldn't give the names of venues or productions that I could look up).
            Aaaaaahahahahahahahaaaa yeah. "I'm awesome in some way that relates to something you're interested in... but I won't give you any specifics that might let you check" is a classic jerk pickup technique. And "How dare you try to hit on me?! I am a good, pure, wholesome person who was just being professional!" is a classic jerk deflection technique when step A doesn't work.

*fistbump of sympathy* I'm sorry to say you've just encountered something that a lot of women have plenty of (tired, painful) experience with... right down to the "do you live alone?" "how late can I call you?" "well I didn't mean it like that" details.

Comment

Working...
            X