This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BSA Troop suck

So my troop is kicking off plan for our next high advancer trip in 2018.
    Now these trips cost 1-2K per person. Logistics of equip transpo and fundraising take time thus the long lead time.
    There are 4 places we could go. The boys decide. Now this doesn't always work out.
    A couple of senior scouts are pushing for the most PITA trip out west so they can horseback ride. On horses limited to 200lb- we keep telling them to look around- none of the leaders inc the fit ones are under 200. So no.
    The suck part is the leader heading this up was to give a presentation on the camp so the boys could make an informed vote and let the parents know what we are getting into.
    This was ok, but he drops the bomb shell to be able to vote at next weeks meeting they/I have to bring $100 unrefundable deposit.
    WTF, funny I don't remember the troop committee approving this fee or plan.
    The BSA is now pay to plan?

I'm out of work and so are others, and one isn't but we know has to budget carefully and cant just shit $100 in a week.
    I'm on committee and also an Asst Scout Master in the troop and I'm going on the offensive after a brief heated discussion in the middle of last night meeting.
    Not too much I just made my point and let it drop.
    I feel the need to weed out the kids who won't be going voting in their friends want. This is how we ended up going to the same summer camp again rather then going some place new.
    But not like this. If I finish the pistol I'm working on for a guy I'll have an extra 100 can my kid get 2 votes?
    Last edited by Rosco the Iroc; 10-19-2016, 10:17 AM.
    AkaiKitsune
    Sarcasm dear, sarcasm. I’m well aware that dealing with civilians in any capacity will skin your faith in humanity alive, then pickle anything that remains so as to watch it shrivel up into an immortal husk thus reminding you of how dead inside you now are.

That's not even okay! Would calling the next guy above this leader help any?
    1129. I will refrain from casting Dimension Jump and Magnificent Mansion on every police box we pass.
    -----
    http://orchidcolors.livejournal.com (A blog about everything and nothing)

Comment

Sounds like a great way to destroy a troop. First of all, having to come up with a large chunk of cash on short notice in order to have a voice at the meeting. Not everyone can do that. Also, what about the people who CAN'T go on some of the options? If they pony up the cash in order to vote, but an impossible option is chosen, they're out the money. Arbitrary decisions like this tend to drive people away from a group.

I say you should point out flaws in the "dude ranch" plan. Presumably, since this is a BSA outing, leaders would need to accompany the scouts on trail rides. None of the leaders are under the weight limit for the horses, so something mandatory (leaders on trail rides) is also forbidden (leaders can't ride the horses). BIG liability for BSA sending minors out without chaperones.

Any chance of getting together with other leaders opposed to this particular option before the meeting? I assume that BSA requires a certain ratio of adults to scouts, and if enough leaders refuse to go on a trip where they would have to spend money but can't participate in the main activity it could make that option non-viable.
      Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Working...
      X